off road trailer coupler

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Supporting Vendor
The scary part about that is, I've seen more than once those teraflex arms separate and flatten threads as a rear control arm. Kinda scares me to think it could separate and bye bye trailer.
I think that is why he said he welded a very thick washer on the end in case the threads fail. Maybe I mis-read and you are talking about a different thing.

Bob B

Exactly! Theres 6ish inches of threads engaged, so failure is lowered, but incase they do, there is a thick "washer" welded to the end as a safety, so NO bye bye trailer..

I think that is why he said he welded a very thick washer on the end in case the threads fail. Maybe I mis-read and you are talking about a different thing.
Nope I some how missed the thick washer part.
Exactly! Theres 6ish inches of threads engaged, so failure is lowered, but incase they do, there is a thick "washer" welded to the end as a safety, so NO bye bye trailer..
As said above I missed the thick washer part somehow :doh: sounds a lot safer now :)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Supporting Vendor
Here is what we ended up with.

We didn't weld a washer on the backside. I don't think it is needed. There was a ton of thread engagement and if I keep it lubed it should be fine. If it starts to look suspect then I will drill and tap the inside for a bolt to retain the arm.

The bracket is made of 1/4" steel and we bent it so it wouldn't bind on full turn. The bushing got here today and I plan to assemble it tonight and then start working on the trailer side.

Attachments

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Supporting Vendor
Is it all 3/8"?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Supporting Vendor
update:
I moved my hitch from my workbench to my shelf:(.

I will use it once I build my new trailer.

CobraNutt

Side note...I LOVE my Max Coupler! The story is that they are going through a redesign on the original coupler,
so I got the HD version from Adventure Trailers for the same price. This one is Class III, rated at 6000lbs.
Solid, and quiet!
Max-M.jpg

Hickey

Rusty Girdle
Premium Member
I was thinking about this issue today and came up with an alternative to using the Tera arm. What if you replaced it with a trailer spindle stub? Basically, you could use a spindle kit for a swingout tire carrier.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Supporting Vendor
I was thinking about this issue today and came up with an alternative to using the Tera arm. What if you replaced it with a trailer spindle stub? Basically, you could use a spindle kit for a swingout tire carrier.
I think that would certainly work, although it would be a bit bulky.

But, what is "this issue" you speak of? I only have 3 offroad trips on mine, but a fair amount of miles both on road and off. (best guess, around 2000 highway miles, 400+ offroad miles) Zero issues with my coupler. The bronze bushings were a bit loose after the Rubicon trip, but I just snugged down the 1" nut and it's tight again. Those bushings are an intentional wear part though, so I can replace them easily.

Hickey

Rusty Girdle
Premium Member
Just suggesting an alternative to the Tera arm, in case a person doesn't have one laying about.