Offroad trailer building; Timbren Axle-less suspension

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I thought this was noteworthy, wanted to start a thread to remember it. :D This seems like a really neat, simple idea that should work very well on road and off. For those thinking about building their own offroad ot teardrop trailer.

http://timbren.com/axle-less/

Assembled.jpg

[video=youtube;B4q7UhgtV6M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4q7UhgtV6M[/video]

Axle-Less Suspension

Quiet & Soft. The proprietary design of the Axle-Less suspension – with our unique spring technology – guarantees a quieter, softer ride both loaded and unloaded.

No Frame Restrictions. Needless to say, there are restrictions associated with an axle. Remove the axle and you remove the restrictions. Therefore the Axle-Less suspension will fit any frame width.

Easy Installation. Bolt holes in the hanger allow for easy installation. No need for welding! Bolt it directly to the frame and go!

SEMA Award Winning Trailer Suspension. This award winning trailer suspension – 2010 Best Off-Road Product of the Year – works well in any environment.

Features
  • The no-thru-axle design allows you to bolt this on a trailer with any hub face to hub face measurements using the same suspension – width no longer matters
  • HD suspensions use thicker heavier steel for a more durable rugged suspension design, making it the best choice for heading off-road
  • Rubber Springs & Urethane bushings create exceptionally smooth & quiet ride – Even when empty
  • Easy bolt-on installation eliminates welding and makes it possible to mount suspension to aluminum frame
  • Different ride heights available using exclusive outboard arm design
  • Easy retrofit solution for trailers with broken or bent spindles and axles
  • Factory built-in camber and toe-in ensures trailer will always track well
  • Easily replaceable spindle using our unique outboard arm design
  • Durable powder coat finish
  • Comes with EZ-Lube spindles
  • Electric brakes available on 1200, 2000, 2000HD, 3500, 3500HD & 5200LBS suspensions
  • Winner of the 2011 SEMA Best New Off-Road product of the year

Specs

• Available sizes: 400LBS, 1200LBS, 2,000LBS, 3,500LBS, 5,200LBS, & 7000LBS
  • Fits single or double axle trailers
  • Available galvanized
  • Full 3 year limited warranty

Kevin B.

Big hippy
That's cool. I've been plotting on an IFS setup for a trailer and getting kinda nowhere, $400 for somebody else to do the thinking and fabbing isn't bad. Airbag without shocks though?

Greg

Admin
I feel the same way, for the price it's hard to pass up. They cost about the same as a traditional axle, but you gain independent suspension, less material & weight and less parts overall.

I don't think they're actually air bags... jut rubber 'springs'. Watching the video, it doesn't appear to need shocks. I would imagine that due to the rubber material, there isn't as much rebound as a traditional spring which may require shocks or it just bounces all over.

The interesting thing to me is the SEMA "Best New Off-Road product of the year" award. It would be interesting to hear real world feedback how it works offroad.

I want to build a teardrop trailer for camping and think these would be perfect.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I've seen quite a few of those IFS trailers flip over because of the lack of articulation. I think if someone were to cross link the airbags with an airline would help though. That is how Land Rover does their IFS so it still acts like a solid axle.

Personally I have leaf springs and shocks on my M101 trailer and it does just fine. It rides fairly smooth with a full load. It doesn't seem unstable at all.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've not seen those before. Most IFS rear trailers us a torsion bar style axle.

For the price, I don't think i could even fabricate something that simple for less $.

Very very cool design.

I'll bet it uses Timbren's foam cushion tech to support weight/ dampen the ride.

You can't beat the ground clearance on that design!

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I've seen quite a few of those IFS trailers flip over because of the lack of articulation. I think if someone were to cross link the airbags with an airline would help though. That is how Land Rover does their IFS so it still acts like a solid axle.

Personally I have leaf springs and shocks on my M101 trailer and it does just fine. It rides fairly smooth with a full load. It doesn't seem unstable at all.

They aren't airbags, just solid medium-density rubber chunks

carsonc1974

Im sure they are different densities, but we use those same"looking" timbren as bumpstops/travel limiters in our 8x8 military 1070's

Greg

Admin
Timbren has been building rubber suspension bumps for a long time... If anybody knows what they're doing, they would. It's hard to say how long they would last, but I'm sure they're engineered to last a very long time.

I don't see these reacting like a airbag would, they don't appear to have to push back a airbag creates when it gets compressed and then unloads. I don't know personally how well these with track on a trailer, but from the little bit that you can see I doubt they have enough travel to cause a trailer to roll over due to a quick rebound action of the suspension.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Timbren has been building rubber suspension bumps for a long time... If anybody knows what they're doing, they would. It's hard to say how long they would last, but I'm sure they're engineered to last a very long time.

I don't see these reacting like a airbag would, they don't appear to have to push back a airbag creates when it gets compressed and then unloads. I don't know personally how well these with track on a trailer, but from the little bit that you can see I doubt they have enough travel to cause a trailer to roll over due to a quick rebound action of the suspension.

We offer the Timbren Axleless suspension on our trailers. We use the new 2200lb "Tonne" line. They have a MUCH longer trailing arm along with 2200lbs rubber springs with 3500lb spindles. They advertise them as 3-3/8" of wheel travel but I can assure you they move more than 5". The ride is incredibly smooth on-road and very controlled offroad.

Greg

Admin
We offer the Timbren Axleless suspension on our trailers. We use the new 2200lb "Tonne" line. They have a MUCH longer trailing arm along with 2200lbs rubber springs with 3500lb spindles. They advertise them as 3-3/8" of wheel travel but I can assure you they move more than 5". The ride is incredibly smooth on-road and very controlled offroad.

They sound ideal for the kind of stuff we all do... awesome that you're using them for your trailer builds. Leaf springs are cheap and they work, but for a trailer that's going to get bounced around in the dirt the Timbren Axleless suspension is a much better option.