OK, getting a bit better at HDR

1995zj

I'm addicted
Very sweet! So curious....I've seen these types of photos but never knew how they were created. Special setting on the camera itself or is it something you Photoshop after?

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
You can do this with just about any camera that gives you aperture control, and ev control.

You want a good tripod, I got luck on this shot, just took a ton of them circling it, until i got a good set of 3, I didn't have a tripod yesterday.

You take 3 shots, one at -2 one at 0 and one at +2 exposure. So you take a bright shot, normal shot, dark shot.

After taking those shots in RAW you pick them up in a tone mapping software, such as Photomatix pro. YOu adjust the shot to your liking, then open the .tiff in Camera Raw, and adjust what you need to adjust,

Then you take the 3 raw shots, with the tiff and open them all as layers in photoshop, on a single image, create a mask.. and more steps..

Its fun :)

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
This is the same day, parking lot at Willard, I called matt at about 230pm, said hey.. clouds are going to be awesome...

He picked me up, and we drove north found this spot with the clouds crawling down the mountain, north ogden

this one has some ghosting

Attachments

• 176889_204517529565863_150034968347453_836483_2654455_o.jpg
    176889_204517529565863_150034968347453_836483_2654455_o.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Shane, I read his tutorial first, then picked up more from a few others, your congrats means a lot, your an awesome awesome designer man.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Check out that link Herzog put in, good basic starter tutorial, Photomatix pro 4.0 64bit is much better than the HDR you get with photoshop alone..

I do it in this step

3 raw files ----> Photomatix (tonemapped)
Save tiff file (roughly 100-125mb)
Open Tiff file with my Camera Raw (adobe) (other editing)
Open all 3 raw + tiff as layers on a single image
Create a Layer mask (editing)
Noiseware Pro, or I use Topaz Adjust Noise reduction

Always shoot at 100iso or lower, turn off any IS you have in camera, any kind of highlight adjustment, turn off the IS on the lens too.. (if using tripod)

I have about a year experience, shooting DSLR, about 5 years photo-shop.. and 20 hours of HDR now. Still a baby in this... but my passion for it is insatiable
Took my first HDR with my Canon on the 1st of this month. Once I get this locked down, and can produce good stuff every time, Ill do Panoramic HDR 12 shot stitches, thats my goal.. or if anyone has 100 k around.. id like a camera akin to Peter Liks setup :)

Last edited:

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I just spammed the forum even more, with some shots I took at about 1pm today, of a fire at Cartel Automotive here in clearfield.