On June 10th, I am going to attempt to walk 100,000 steps. Need some advice.

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
As the title says, on June 10th, I am wrapping up a personal challenge of 100 continuous days of exercise. Today was day 44.

My son is obsessed with my fitness tracking watch and one day he wondered about who did the most steps. It lead us to find out that quite a few people have completed 100k steps in a day and so the goal was born.

I'd like to walk whatever route fairly uninterrupted. Most people, from what I read, take about 50 miles to get the steps in. As well, it's common for it to take 20 hours. Some older or slower folks needed almost a full 24 hours. Based on my fitness and a few test walks (all fairly short). I think I could do the steps in 14 hours, maybe a little less, especially if I'm not waiting for stoplights.

Jordan River Parkway from end to end is 40 miles and I could turn at the end and head home and propbably surpass the 100k. I've ridden a few sections with my kids and it's okay. However, there's got to be other places with 25-50 mile stretches that would be a far nicer walk. What do you guys think? Have any suggestions to a stretch of Utah that would be a good setting?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your responses.

-Brent

Kevin B.

OLAF
Supporting Member
The big problem I see with the JRT is that it's paved. Fifty miles on asphalt is going to be rough no matter how good your shoes are.

The BST would be a much more interesting and comfortable walk. Lots more up and down though. If you're willing to go a little farther to your trailhead, the Rail Trail out of Park City might be a better option? Soft surface and a steady grade and it's about 25 miles from downtown Park City to Coalville.

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
I like the perimeter of Antelope. I think that would be more doable, alone, than BST. Eventually, I'd like to do that on the BST because I think that would be good ultra marathon training. I'd love to complete an ultra in my life. I'm nowhere near that ability, yet.

Last edited:

ID Bronco

My advice, walk downhill.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
After taking a few "steps" around my office, I have determined that my smallest step covers just over 2 feet of distance. 100,000 steps x 2 feet = 200,000 feet. 200,000 feet / 5280 feet/mile = 38 miles.

Now if you are an NFL ref and used to counting off yardage, it will take 56 miles.

I vote take really small steps.

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
I remember walking... :rofl:
This is a phrase I'd like to avoid in my older years.

After taking a few "steps" around my office, I have determined that my smallest step covers just over 2 feet of distance. 100,000 steps x 2 feet = 200,000 feet. 200,000 feet / 5280 feet/mile = 38 miles.

Now if you are an NFL ref and used to counting off yardage, it will take 56 miles.

I vote take really small steps.
The few tests I've done would put me at over 46 miles. Changing my stride to hit 100k seems like cheating to me. My 6yo son told me to take "baby steps" but I'm in this for the challenge and the experience.

I may be talking foolishly, though. I'm going to do a 25k and 50k steps leading up, so I'll have a better idea. You may see me walking like one of those goofy speedwalkers on the 10th.. haha.

No way could I walk for ten to fifteen hours straight, I'd die. But I'd be happy to put in a shift and pace you. Somebody walking/riding next to you during the dark hours would probably be a huge help.
That would be cool! The logisitics are nowhere close to being planned but my thought is to start before sunrise and finish while it's still light out.

My advice, walk downhill.
If there's 40 miles slightly down hill... I am in!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Baby steps was king of tongue in cheek. My point was that you may not have to walk nearly as far as you're thinking. What's the real goal, to walk 100k steps or x miles and will you stop in your tracks once you hit that mark and call in a heli evac?

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
Baby steps was king of tongue in cheek. My point was that you may not have to walk nearly as far as you're thinking. What's the real goal, to walk 100k steps or x miles and will you stop in your tracks once you hit that mark and call in a heli evac?
The reason I am planning, now, is to get a route established that will get me to 100k and if I am close to home or my truck or my pick-up point, I wouldn't care if it were 110k. The goal is absolutely hitting 100k steps, no matter what. The high number of miles is part of the territory, which is why I want to find a route that will allow me to walk without a bunch of intersections/interruptions. I am not overly concerned with the distance or hitting 100k by a certain number of miles.

I don't want to go into this blind, which is why I am going to do a few long walks, first. This is actually a decent exercise in self control. I used to want to full-on thrash, run marathons, triathalons, do hikes under a certain time, etc.

Mouse

Good goal. My wife once did 50000 in one day, all tracked by her fitbit. I recommend having a course which provides mostly flat, but a variety of terrain/slopes. I think if you go "just downhill" you'll have some unusual pains afterwards. Also, use a good pair of shoes that are already broken in. I once ran a half marathon in 2 week old shoes and ended the race with massive blisters on both feet.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
If it we're me I'd start out smaller, do something like unicorn point on antelope island, I think it's about 4 miles from the closest parking lot one way. Work your way up from that

moab_cj5

Booooooooooooooooooorinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
I get that, but it is uninterrupted, can start and stop at any time regardless of time of day, and weather isn't a factor. Watch movies or something to pass the time.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Supporting Vendor
If it happens to work out with my schedule, I'd be down to walk a portion with you...like what @Kevin B. suggested. Antelope Island sounds like kinda a neat location for it. :)