On June 10th, I am going to attempt to walk 100,000 steps. Need some advice.

Houndoc

I've always wanted to try this from the international center west of the airport. I haven't looked since we had all the rain, but usually when flying over, it looks pretty dry.
I can't imagine it being doable now with the rain. Depending on how much the lake rises after spring run off may be doable come late summer.

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
Who's Brett? :thinking:
I am! I am also Brendan, Brettan (my greek neighbors called me that), Bread (a homeless guy called me that), Bren (no clue about that one...), and Brock Lampton... that one stuck for a few years because the guy in payroll messed my name up when I was a new guy at this Ski and Snowboard shop I worked at, back east.

Best one, though, my mom almost named me Clayton. And for those of you that don't know me, that would make my name Clayton Layton. HAHA!

Also, to get back on topic, Bear Lake is 51 miles from what I gather. I'd like to keep it kind-of local, so that's out. Though I've heard really great things about Bear Lake. I've actually never been there.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Supporting Vendor
Since you are looking for somewhere local you could fly to Nepal and hike to Everest base camp. That is about 40 miles. If it isn't enough steps you could just turnaround and start hiking back :)

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
I've chosen to walk (walk/run) the Jordan River Parkway. There are a few reasons why I believe it will give me the best possible shot at achieving this.

First, it's tame. I don't really want to be adding levels of difficulty to the task. The task is to get 100k steps, which is already a respectable challenge for a guy that hasn't logged more than 18k steps in a regular day. I average a little less than 10k, but that's a growing average as my activity and fitness improve. In the future, I know I'll be tackling some serious mileage away from pavement. But for this challenge, the biting-off-more-than-I-can chew part of this task is the combination of distance and time.

Second, in planning this, I've realized that the JRT makes sense from a point A to B perspective. I won't have to think about navigation. As well, if I need some assistance, I can easily communicate my location and soldier on.

Third, I've never done the length of it, just little chunks with my family and that's about it. I like exploring and it will be neat to see most of the path that runs through the heart of the valley.

Forth, I'm trying to keep things simple. While it's the end of my 100 day continuous exercise challenge... at day 90, I decided to join a challenge called #75Hard, which will carry me well past my 100-day mark. 75Hard was designed by a man named Andy Frisella as a way to improve mental toughness. Hardening my mind and becoming mentally tough is something I soon realized I was on a collision course for shortly after I started reinventing myself. With every challenge, book read, success and failure, I got a better peak into what I'm made of and where I land on the mental-toughness scale. Being honest, I don't like my level. So, rather than wait, which I was doing because, ultimately, I was scared of this 100k challenge and how I'd manage it within 75Hard.

75Hard is the first stage of a program (he's only rolled out this and the second stage, so far). It consists of 5 items:
  1. Follow a diet with no cheat meals and no alcohol.
  2. Two 45 minute workouts, per day. 1 of which MUST be outside. No excuses on the outdoor workout.
  3. Drink a gallon of water a day
  4. Read 10 pages of non-fiction entrepreneurship/personal development book per day
  5. Take a progress pic daily
So, I want to knock this out to the letter and walking for like 12 hours intimidated the hell out of me. Then, I had a moment of clarity, I was intimidated because I wasn't prepared. While I am okay with not having a 75k or 50k training day, there are a bunch of other items I hadn't yet considered. Like my food, water, what gear I'd bring and my schedule of the whole thing because I still need to knock out 75Hard before my day is done.

Anyway, this is way more than I planned to write but I did want to bump this up.

Back to work. Hope all is well.

Last edited:

Agility Customs

Supporting Vendor!
Supporting Vendor
So how did this go? Did you make it?
I followed along all day on his instagram stories, It was pretty damn inspiring. Im sure he will update this thread shortly.

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
So how did this go? Did you make it?
I did finish. I'll give the TLDR version, first.

I walked from Holladay to Lehi and back in about 17 hours. Steps logged: 102,357. Distance - just shy of 46 miles. Started strong but the last 1/4 mile I shut down and was laying in the grass of Cottonwood High.

Alright, now that we got the TLDR version out of the way, I woke up at 2:55 and attempted to get my son up so he could walk the first hundred or so steps with me. There was no waking him, so I tossed my pack on my back and headed to the gym. Yes, to the gym. Per the requirements of this program I am doing, 75Hard, there has to be 2 workouts (each at least 45 minutes in length and one being outside). Though this walk was a massive challenge, it's one workout in my mind. So, I put 45 mins in the gym doing upper body and then head out.

First problem showed up when I was grabbing my pack from the gym locker. There was a puddle under the pack. An inspection showed it was my 1.5 liter bladder. I figured I could just use that one first and head out to the Jordan River Parkway.

I had no clue about the nature preserves running down the center of the Salt Lake Valley. While buildings, power lines and city noise were mostly inescapable, I came away thinking the JRT was an absolute gem that meandered throughout the valley. It's well taken care of, very little litter and the parks that are attached to the trails (that I utilized) all had decent bathrooms and water fountains.

My entrance to the trail was in Murray, by the golf course. It was a familiar spot and a relatively easy walk from the gym. From there I headed south.

The plan was to hit a little more than 50k steps and turn around. Truthfully, the first half was pretty easy. It was just shy of a marathon. I ended up turning around in Lehi at the Thanksgiving Point golf course. Since I was feeling well, I played nine.... HAHAHA, just kidding! I had to walk down the steep, winding hill path to this course backward because my shoes were worn to the point where my toes were sliding forward and it was painful.

Though I knew I'd finish, I knew that at some point it would get hard. I say this because searching around the Internet, most people talk about it like it's no big deal... and most people are storytellers.

At 50k any pain was situational... like coming down the hill backward. At 60k I knew there were blisters. I just welcomed them to the world and marched on. What I should have done was stop there and treat them but I wanted to push ahead and meet my wife in a spot she could find easy so I could get some more food/water/ibuprofen. I didn't meet up with her until 70k. In that 10k steps, I wreaked havoc on my swollen feet.

Actually, the water availability on the trail worked out very well. I had plenty of water and only showed up empty to one spot. (Bluffdale)

While I waited for Linh, I treated my feet. There were kids and moms at the playground and more than one of them gave me a weird looks. Whatever though, I was sitting AND in the shade so I didn't care. I knew a little bit about blister treatment from running and hiking, however, I spent some time looking up best practices in preparation for this challenge. I'm glad I did because my feet are a nightmare. I really should take some pics, just to have, but I wouldn't post them up. The calloused toes that I thought would be in good shape, ended up just being calloused blisters. My left foot is the worst. The ball of my foot is pretty much a blister.

Aside from my feet, the only other minor issues were some sunburn on my legs, my hips being tight (my feet pointed slightly inward as I walked) and a chaffed butt crack... haha.

There was a little time between finishing my feet and meeting Linh, so I took that opportunity to walk around in the grass where there was some shade. Every step hurt but it was manageable.

After getting some much needed bananas and some other essential food I was back on the pavement and from 70k to 85k I made equivalent time to my happy-feet start.

Things didn't start going downhill for me until I got off the path. I came out where I had entered and I assumed I'd hit the target somewhere in between. I'd walk a bit and look at my watch, surprised I hadn't logged more. I'd step on a pebble and the pain would shoot up through my left leg. I felt a bit loopy as I passed Fashion Place mall and it was here that I decided I'd just walk all the way home and tough it out.

I rounded the corner onto 13th east and headed north. I didn't care about steps at this point, I knew I'd get there. The last glance I gave was somewhere in the 99,300 range and I didn't look again until I was parked on the grass along the sidewalk on 5600 S. 50 feet from the Cottonwood High driveway.

Before I found myself on the ground, unable to walk, feeling like I'll probably crap myself, each step got harder. I had told folks that my feet felt like flat basketballs far earlier into the day. Now, they were like sand bags and I was trapped in my own head. I had cut across the high school property so I could walk on the grass. Just taking some steps on the grass offered some comfort. However, when I stepped on to the parking lot, each step now felt like a stab. After crossing the lot, I went to step onto the sidewalk and only one foot made it the height of the walk. The other didn't and it send me spinning, looking like a drunk, right into a crossed-leg sitting position. It was dark and I was alone but I was truly embarrassed.

I forced myself up and probably made it another 50 feet before I went down again, now to the grassy embankment aside the sidewalk on 5600 S. Two police cruisers were turning in my direction and I tried to get their attention with the flashing LED on my pack but they didn't notice. I laid there for a few minutes trying to muster up the mental strength to command my body but it wasn't working.

My phone was nearly dead but somehow Linh and I got in touch. Usually, I go the tough route and don't ask for help. This wasn't that time. I'd done what I set out for, now I needed ice.

Perspective is interesting. Seeing her car, I could get up and in. Seeing the door to my home, I could get out of the car and stumble in... but I couldn't make it the 1/4 mile home? I find that interesting.

As soon I crossed through the doorway, I went to my hands and knees. and crawled over to the living room floor.

When I stuck my first foot into the ice water, it was intense. When I stuck my second foot in, I threw up. It wasn't much more than a 1/2 cup of water. My knees were iced, my feet were in and out of the ice, a blanket draped over me and my body was jack hammering.

20190610_230320.jpg20190610_232134.jpg

After the ice, I made it to the shower. Then a bath, which I fell asleep in. Finally, I got into bed. It was the absolute best feeling that day.

I'm looking at my feet/legs right now and while they look pretty bad, they could be worse. I did manage to get my two workouts in today and a little over 9k steps. I won't pretend like these workout were close to anything like my normal... but they felt just as hard, maybe more.

So, that's that. I'm glad to have done it on the JRT. It's not a cool destination but it served me well and was enjoyable.

Now it's onto the next challenge. Any suggestions?

I followed along all day on his instagram stories, It was pretty damn inspiring. Im sure he will update this thread shortly.
Thanks, Ryan!

Last edited:

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
That's some serious will power. Are you aware of David Goggins and his story? I think you would find inspiration from it.
David Goggins is a BEAST! His book Can't Hurt Me was on my mind yesterday as I was walking with blown up feet. I actually listened to him while at the gym, last night.

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
What an accomplishment! This one day will forever increase your ability to do hard things. Awesome.
Thank you. I've been pushing it with challenges and doing things that suck as a way to toughen my mindset and, looking back, I am different than I was last year... even last month.

rholbrook

Premium Member
Supporting Member
Holy hell, you are the man. I have a neighbor that does those big 50-100 mile mountain races. His long is 200 miles. I dont know how he does it but you two of you are animals. Good job.

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
Holy hell, you are the man. I have a neighbor that does those big 50-100 mile mountain races. His long is 200 miles. I dont know how he does it but you two of you are animals. Good job.
I admire those folks. They have a special sort of fire inside. I'm not there, yet, but I'll get there.

Wow... congrats. That's awesome.
Thanks!