On Motorcycles

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
As fuel prices rise, so has my interest in these motorized bicycles that I've seen puttering around. Now, I've never owned a motorcycle, but I've been toying with the idea. I currently rock a Honda scooter for my daily commute. The sucker gets 100mpg, but lets face it, it is kinda girlie. So that brings up the idea of upgrading to a motorcycle. I'm not looking for anything crazy big, the Suzuki Boulevard S50 is about as big as I would go (I think). But I wanted to hear everyones thoughts. Whats good, whats bad. I'm down with vintage or cruisers (I think thats the term) but not with crotch rockets (nothing screams 'douche' louder).
Discuss!

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I just picked up a honda Aero 750 and I love it.. I think that it is much safer than a Scooter as you have some power to get out of the way when idiots decide that they don't want to pay attention (lets face it sometimes you have to gun it to get out of the way). your not going to get the 100MPG though so dont expect it.... your looking at a top of about 50MPG .. and I agree with the no crotch rockets :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hyosung? Yeash... avoid the cheap, Chinese bikes at all costs. Ask Hickey about his little mishap on a Chinese bike. I wouldn't take one if it was given to me.

Stephen, sit on a LOT of bikes, then when you find one that feels right, ride it as much as you can. Real bikes are fun, scooters are no comparison to a real motorcycle. Most bikes are going to get around 50 MPG, more depending on how you ride.

I love riding a bike that does dirt and street duty, I feel like I'm getting away with something. Check them out, it may appeal to you. No matter what you choose, you have to ride like you're invisible. Ride like everyone in a car is trying to hit you. Unless there's over 2 tons of steel coming at them, most car drivers won't acknowledge a bike.

I think I'm going on a ride this weekend. :p

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
Show me where to get a harley for the same price as a chinese piece of crap, and I'll buy one.

I currently roll the chinese 150 scooter. It rides like crap and is surprisingly weak for a 150cc that only weighs ~200lbs.

However, it has paid for itself in gas savings in about 4 months. At this point if it dies, it was already worth it.

All that said, I want a real bike and am constantly eyeing the dual sport type like Greg mentioned.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Hyosung? Yeash... avoid the cheap, Chinese bikes at all costs. Ask Hickey about his little mishap on a Chinese bike. I wouldn't take one if it was given to me.

Stephen, sit on a LOT of bikes, then when you find one that feels right, ride it as much as you can. Real bikes are fun, scooters are no comparison to a real motorcycle. Most bikes are going to get around 50 MPG, more depending on how you ride.

I love riding a bike that does dirt and street duty, I feel like I'm getting away with something. Check them out, it may appeal to you. No matter what you choose, you have to ride like you're invisible. Ride like everyone in a car is trying to hit you. Unless there's over 2 tons of steel coming at them, most car drivers won't acknowledge a bike.

I think I'm going on a ride this weekend. :p

What kind of dual sport bikes do you like?

Greg

Admin
What kind of dual sport bikes do you like?

I do own a Suzuki DR650, but but IMO any of the Big 4 Jap bike manufactures are just as good. Hondas are usually #1, being easy to ride and reliable. IMO Yamaha & Suzuki tie for 2nd and Kawasaki rounds them out, (I know some of the new Kawasaki dual-sports are re-badged Suzuki's).

If you're seriously interested in some kind of dual-sport, I'd shoot for something in the 400-450cc range. My DR650 is a big, heavy bike and its taken me a long time to feel comfortable off-road on something that heavy. Look for a bike with 'the magic button', aka electric start. I used to have a Suzuki DRZ400, they make a few different versions of that model; Dirt bike (DRZ400E), street legal dirt bike (DRZ400S), and Super Moto DRZ400SM). The 400S is probably what you'd want, but be sure to check out the SM, it's the ultimate hooligan bike.

Greg

Admin
Greg

Where'd you get the Corbin seat. I'm thinking I'd like one for my DR650.

I got mine from Kientech, it was spendy but the comfort over the stock seat is amazing.

There's also a new seat coming out from TPI , within the next month or 2. They claim it's going to be better than the Corbin and cheaper too. I thought about waiting for it, but couldn't. :-\

What year is your DR650?

X

XT Utah

My vote also goes to the Japanese dual sports.

They are quick enough for traffic, light, efficient, relatively cheap, reliable, look good, versatile and just as important as all of that stuff, they are FUN!

:)

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
So I've been getting hassled by my wife now about a scooter for just around Tooele. My questions are about licensing requirments. Do scooters need a license? Do you need a motorcycle license to ride one? When I lived in Hawaii, under 100cc were registered as bicycles. No license required. And tourists LOVE them...

Somehow, I think getting the wife a scooter might be my only good argument for me to get a DP bike...

Greg

Admin
So I've been getting hassled by my wife now about a scooter for just around Tooele. My questions are about licensing requirments. Do scooters need a license? Do you need a motorcycle license to ride one? When I lived in Hawaii, under 100cc were registered as bicycles. No license required. And tourists LOVE them...

Somehow, I think getting the wife a scooter might be my only good argument for me to get a DP bike...

Yes, you will need to plate any scooter. Anything you operate on the public roads needs to be plated. I believe in UT the law says a MC endorsement on your drivers license is not required under 49cc, so your quite limited to scooter choice.

ricsrx

I like my Honda 250X duel sport, and street legal, 50 MPG but only a 2 gal tank

I like my Yamaha (crotch rocket, bullet bike, for those of you who don’t under stand motorcycles,) if you don’t know what they are called, I hope you know How to ride so you don’t die on one.

I don’t like the Harley, purchased as an investment.

I am looking forward to getting my Yamaha FJR1300 sport touring bike, it is part sport bike (crotch rocket for the challenged) and part touring (not cruiser).

The point is all bikes are great (except KOREAN). Just learn how to ride and be safe.

Meat_

Banned
Yes, you will need to plate any scooter. Anything you operate on the public roads needs to be plated. I believe in UT the law says a MC endorsement on your drivers license is not required under 49cc, so your quite limited to scooter choice.

Not quite ;) Construction equipment does not (and our sweepers fall under that category) :greg: