On Motorcycles

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
:rofl:

Just like Hyundai's! :ugh:

which are about hte most reliable cars on the road.

Hyosung uses Suzuki motors. That GV650 uses the same motor as the Suzuki SV 650.

There is actually a pretty decent following for them on the web. Lots of information about their reliability and owner testimonies--good and bad. There is a pretty substantial relationship between Suzuki and Hyosung, but nobody will go out and say exactly what it is. From what I've gathered, Hyosung builds many of the parts for Suzuki, and might actually manufacture some of the motors--most notably the 650 cc vtwin.

Not saying they are good or bad, but just because they are Korean doesn't necessarily mean they are crap

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
which are about hte most reliable cars on the road.

Hyosung uses Suzuki motors. That GV650 uses the same motor as the Suzuki SV 650.

There is actually a pretty decent following for them on the web. Lots of information about their reliability and owner testimonies--good and bad. There is a pretty substantial relationship between Suzuki and Hyosung, but nobody will go out and say exactly what it is. From what I've gathered, Hyosung builds many of the parts for Suzuki, and might actually manufacture some of the motors--most notably the 650 cc vtwin.

Not saying they are good or bad, but just because they are Korean doesn't necessarily mean they are crap

:rofl: Hyundai's... reliable? Compared to what, a Jeep?

I've never heard of Hyosung before, so personally I'd avoid them like the plague. I have enough problems with my mass-produced, Japanese bikes... no need to buy a bike that's assembled with unknown parts & production.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I work with a couple guys with the 250cc Hyosung bikes. One of them put 8k miles on it since last year. He's using it for a commuter bike and hasn't had any issues with it.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Good info.. I'll be unloading Jacey's A6 soon, and i'll be picking up a dual sport most likely... Well, it's a highly entertained option ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
:rofl: Hyundai's... reliable? Compared to what, a Jeep?

Maybe I live in a bubble, but of all the people that I know that have had a Hyundai, I don't know one that has had a single problem. Could be luck I guess.

They don't offer a 100k warranty because it's the nice thing to do ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm actually guilty of looking at a couple cars, thinking they were pretty nice, only to find out they were Sonata's. Those cars are pretty cush.

OldGeezer

I got mine from Kientech, it was spendy but the comfort over the stock seat is amazing.

There's also a new seat coming out from TPI , within the next month or 2. They claim it's going to be better than the Corbin and cheaper too. I thought about waiting for it, but couldn't. :-\

What year is your DR650?

Thanks. Kientech is where I got a smaller counter sprocket from. It's going to be a month before I can buy a seat so maybe I'll wait to see what TPI comes up with.

I have a 2007. It's 11 months old now and has 500 miles on it. It only took 20 miles before I knew all the talk of crappy seats was true.

Greg

Admin
Maybe I live in a bubble, but of all the people that I know that have had a Hyundai, I don't know one that has had a single problem. Could be luck I guess.

When I was turning wrenches for a living, Hyundai's were money-makers. One of the most unreliable cars out there. IMO the 100k warranty was required to help them sell new cars, considering their past performance. If they're making better cars now, good for them.

Thanks. Kientech is where I got a smaller counter sprocket from. It's going to be a month before I can buy a seat so maybe I'll wait to see what TPI comes up with.

I have a 2007. It's 11 months old now and has 500 miles on it. It only took 20 miles before I knew all the talk of crappy seats was true.

I also got my 14 tooth sprocket from Kientech, with the Corbin. I ordered my IMS 4.9 gallon tank from TPI, the stock tank holds enough fuel to get you out there, but not back! I get around 220-240 miles out of the IMS, which is much better than stock. I want more power now, so I may be calling Jesse for some carb mod advice. I want power w/o losing mileage, if possible.

The stock seat is a mid-evil torture device! You'll want to spend more time riding once you ditch the stock seat. I've put in 200 miles in a few hours then walked away barely feeling it.

I'm still very happy with the DR650, it's the perfect bike for me. It'll haul on the pavement (80+ feels fine), traverse dirt/gravel and still make it's way over nasty trails. I rode 100 miles on Sat, then 100 more on Sunday. Love that bike!

OldGeezer

Greg said:
I've put in 200 miles in a few hours then walked away barely feeling it.

Thats what I want!

I'd have more miles on it if I didn't have an old Honda XR350. I mostly ride dirt and the XR is better for that.

73fj55

I Know Turd Ferguson

I had an 05 Elantra GT, it came with leather, sunroof, and some other nice extras. Only problem that I ever had was an alternator bolt broke, Easy fix. Great gas mileage, I traveled alot, at the time from St. George to the UC. I actually miss that car.

Fifteen years earlier my wife had an Elantra and had nothing but problems. Mostly engine issues. From what I can tell they have made some significant changes. Some of there concept cars look pretty saaaweet too.

Sorry to redirect the thread.

Caleb

By that same note, that would make Jeeps the most reliable vehicle out there...since they don't offer a lifetime warranty because it's the nice thing to do ;) :p

Seriously though, I've known only a few people that were sucker enough to buy a Hyundai, I think they called in sick or late to work more than anyone else and it was always because of their vehicles. :) I wouldn't touch a Hyundai with a ten foot pole, even if it were given to me.

Corban_White

If you are on a budget then an older yamaha xt 600 is a good dual sport but they get snapped up quick. If you don't need to go on the freeway the xt 350 is also a good bike. Yamaha made 'em (at least the 350) for something like 20-25 years with very little changes so parts aren't too hard to find and they (mine anyway) are pretty reliable.

Greg

Admin
You know Stephen, thinking again, a 400-450cc motorcycle might be a bit much for a beginner. You want a bike that you can grow on, not be scared of. My last few bikes have been 400cc 4-strokes, but before that I had my share of smaller bikes.

There's some great bikes out there that are more newbie-friendly, I've heard really good things about the new Yamaha XT250. Brand new they're $4.5k.

Or you could get a TW200!! Check it out, laugh all you want but these things are Mtn Goats! I'd ride one, they motor up almost anything. New they start at $3.8k.

I'm sure you could find whatever you want slightly-used. There's plenty more, similar bikes out there. My DR650 was 2 yrs old, hardly ridden and I paid under book value. You can always find a deal if you take your time looking.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Or you could get a TW200!! Check it out, laugh all you want but these things are Mtn Goats! I'd ride one, they motor up almost anything. New they start at $3.8k.

It's like a refined, street worthy fatcat-esque bike... I want one.. how many years have the TW200 been around?