Onboard air. Which compressor to get?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I've been looking into an onboard air system for quite awhile. I need an unlimited supply of air (meaning no Power Tanks) and I would prefer to use an electric powered compressor vs. using a converted AC pump of any sort.

My goal is to be able to inflate a large tire in a decent amount of time and also run a small impact or die grinder--thats not too much to ask is it?! To do that I will need a tank (that I already have) that I'll be mounting under the bed and I would like to place the compressor in the engine compartment.

I have no idea where to even start compressor wise. Would something like the 300 series be sufficient? http://www.viaircorp.com/compressors.html I don't think I can have too much power, but I really don't want to spend more that ~ $200 on a compressor :-\ Ideas or suggestions? Thanks again,

Andrew

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm glad I posted here thanks :D I don't need an accessory kit so $269 seems like a pretty good deal. Anyone have experience with this one?

How about $229 instead?

http://cgi.ebay.com/12v-1-5-gal-air...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Edit: I've never had one personally, but all the discussion I've read about them gives nothing but positive reviews. Plus, Puma is a real-live compressor manufacturer, which helps my confidence some. I'd like one at some point, but it's obviously not a priority or I'd have one. :)

Last edited:

Corban_White

325c.jpg

93186.gif

Pretty similar looking and they spec out about the same, but the price is a bit different. I have the bottom one and love it.

bobmed

- - - -
93186.gif

Pretty similar looking and they spec out about the same, but the price is a bit different. I have the bottom one and love it.

This is the one I have, It works pretty good for no tank. I mouted a 32-11.50X15 tire at home and it seated the bead, but the way the rim and tire fit a hand bicycle pump would have seated it.;)
I have a 2 gal tank I will probably mount it on if I can figure a place to put it. When I can I'll probably get CO2.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I've heard nothing but good about the Puma's. I'll have to put that on the list as well ;)

Corban and Bob, Using a tank do you think the Harbor Freight one would run a die grinder or even a 3/8's impact for a decent amount of time? I like thrifty :D

It's almost overwhelming because of all the different brands and choices, but so far I haven't really heard of anyone HATING their compressor so thats good right?

bobmed

- - - -
I've heard nothing but good about the Puma's. I'll have to put that on the list as well ;)

Corban and Bob, Using a tank do you think the Harbor Freight one would run a die grinder or even a 3/8's impact for a decent amount of time? I like thrifty :D

It's almost overwhelming because of all the different brands and choices, but so far I haven't really heard of anyone HATING their compressor so thats good right?

Mines a Viair 400P but looks exactly the same and is probably from the same factory.
With a tank it would run tools for as long as the tank volume would last but the compressor at 100psi only puts out 1.27 cfm.
A die grinder uses about 5-10 cfm and ratchets use 2-4 cfm

notajeep

Just me
And I'm starting to consider one again. I couldn't believe how long yours ran that die grinder at the Alco in Moab :cool: Wow that was so long ago... Now I'm old.

Where do you get yours filled in these parts?

I gave up on filling my 10lb bottle and now I just exchange a 20lb bottle with pepsi at work. Costs me about $8 and one will last about 6 months. I just strap it to the trailer with the buggy, throw all the air tools in the trailer box and I never have to worry about it.

DAA

Might give Buzzard Gulch a call on that Puma. They had them for $189 last time I checked. You'll have to call to find out though - their online catalog is too much of a PITA to deal with.

If you really want to cheap out though, just get two or three of the MV50's for about $40 each. Same spec's as the Viair 400P. I've got two of them hard mounted under my hood. The two of them together put out 5 CFM (at 0 psi). Works pretty good.

- DAA