Opening weekend

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Contrary to my belief that the mule dear population was extinct, it is in fact not. But judging by the number of males I saw, it won't be long until they are.

I saw a couple small two points opening morning, but not big enough to shoot that early in the hunt.

rholbrook

Contrary to my belief that the mule dear population was extinct, it is in fact not. But judging by the number of males I saw, it won't be long until they are.

I saw a couple small two points opening morning, but not big enough to shoot that early in the hunt.
My 13 yr old got his first 2 point this year near Johns Valley. I hunted with him Saturday but had to head home to go out of town early Sunday morning. He sent me a picture of his buck. He was really excited. Friday we saw several descent 3 points but they were no where to be found Saturday or since. We did catch a lot of nice browns Friday afternoon. They averaged probably 16".

ID Bronco

My two young sons and I have hunted 4 days, saw about 35 deer, only two bucks, but no shots. Way skittish. We have seen about 75 elk and four nice 6 points. Of course we didn't draw a bull tag.

I love hunting but fishing sure is more predictable for a guy who doesn't scout enough.

Scott

Houndoc

A couple in my group would have been thrilled with a two point! (my son and a cousin are still after their first deer).

We saw a number of deer on Friday, about 1/3 of them bucks including a couple really nice 4-points. All day Saturday went completely deerless. They must have the opening of deer hunt set as a reminder on their Facebook pages and went into hiding.

Will go out again Thursday and Friday.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I didn't see any bucks on the opener, just a couple of does, a bunch of moose, tons of grouse, a turkey, a weasel, and plenty of hunters. My son and son in law , who already had nice bucks on the archery hunt, were helping a cousin and friend find deer and managed to see 4 bucks and helped them get a 2 point.

OB1

I took a two point with my muzzleloader. And filled a cow elk tag this year. Freezer is full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moabxjeeper

The old man shot a nice 3 point on Tuesday and I got another one tonight.. Except one of the points fell off when I got to it. Ended up with my first 2 point ever. :mad:

Oh well, I'm still happy with the shot I made. All in all it was a great deer hunt, we saw probably 80+ deer, 15 of which were bucks and a few nice ones that got away. But there's always next year :D

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Well I finally saw a buck. It was out at 300 yards in a small opening in some brush laying down looking away from me. The only clear shot that I had was a head shot and thats where I put the crosshairs. It was lights out for the deer but I ended up busting up the skull badly. The one bright side is that the rack can be as wide as I want to make it. It ended up being a lot bigger buck than I thought and it had a very heavy body on it. Luckily it was down hill all the way out,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 36

STAG

On my grind
My dad's buddy sent him this from this morning.

IMG_1039_zpsstkustoa.png

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I ended up with nothing. After the first day I didn't see any bucks at all. My legs are sore from hiking all over creation, but it was a good hunt even though I didn't get one.

STAG

On my grind
Yep, I spotted a little over 200 does, and one little baby two point who disappeared over the skyline before I could talk myself into him.
Unsuccessful hunt for me.

Pretty depressing to see a few groups of 20-30 and not a single buck with them.