Opinion wanted

jruss

Would you trust your trailer and load with this style ball with the small, built in pin instead of a standard hitch pin?Diversi-Tech.jpg

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Nope. I don't trust those pins and i don't trust the aluminum hitches at all, I have seen a few broken aluminum ones, plus no one is going to steal your pos rusty steel ones. Just drill the hole out on your pin slightly and install a small paddle lock instead of the cotter pin if your worried about peopled stealing your rusty pos ones. Added bonus with the steel ones is if you leave them in long enough they don't come out, pin or not. I have one on my 4 door dodge that currently needs to meet Mr. torch.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I have the same DT brand hitch but in a 10" drop with both 2" and 2-5/16" balls that I have been using since 2009 when I bought my 2006 Duramax. I was a bit nervous at first but I've hauled my 26' enclosed race trailer around with it and never an issue.

Once the pins are extended the surface area they are engaged with in the receiver tube is no different than with a hitch pin.

Mike

Bart

Just keep it greased and clean. I've seen too many put on and forgotten, and frozen where they are. That would be a pain to remove if it was rusted in place.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Just keep it greased and clean. I've seen too many put on and forgotten, and frozen where they are. That would be a pain to remove if it was rusted in place.

Agreed. That should be the rule with ALL hitches. I've had to help remove several that the owners neglected removing them and in a year or so they were so corroded in it took three men and a boy to remove.X-D

I never leave my hitches in, they are removed as soon as I am done towing whatever I am towing. I personally don't like the looks of hitches in trucks but that's my personal opinion. Even in my coach, when we arrive home I remove my towbar setup at least every other trip in order to give everything a good pressure washing.

Mike

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
We had a steel hitch left in a work truck receiver that was so seized I had to wrap a chain around the hitch, and then the other end of the chain to my dumptruck as an anchor, and yank on it with surprisingly more force than I would have expected to free it. Took about 4-5 yanks on it with a little momentum.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I use an aluminum hitch all the time, have had it several years. It's forged, not billet though, and takes a regular pin rather than this fancy deal. Just don't push the weight rating too close to the limits, but that goes for any style of hitch.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I never leave my hitches in, they are removed as soon as I am done towing whatever I am towing. I personally don't like the looks of hitches in trucks but that's my personal opinion.

I ALWAYS put one in. I switch them a lot, so no fear of getting stuck.. but I make sure to always have one in place. I have been rear ended a few times, and each time the hitch has taken the hit, with no damage to the truck :) the car behind gets a cute little square hole in their bumper.

Toad

I trust the hitch to handle the weight. I also trust the that the fancy locking pin will get rusted up and the hitch will be junk. I used to run a Anderson rapid hitch with their stainless locks. I tow a lot and would leave it in. I had to make sure I took the locks out multiple times during the winter to clean and lube them. I got rear ended once. It was more of a love tap. I took the hitch apart to inspect everything inside. The piece of junk was worn out. The pins inside were trashed. I am glad I got rear ended before the hitch had a catastrophic failure. I now run a forged steel one.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I remove mine because they seem to remind me every time I have one in and walk behind my truck.

I have a still have a dark purple dent in my shin from walking into one 3 or 4 years ago.

ball mount installed with nothing attached = shin destroyer