Opinions are like jeeps............

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Got a start installing the shocks yesterday.

Ran into several issues. I started on the passenger side. I can’t believe all the junk that has to be removed to gain access to the top of the shock tower. Annoying.

Next problem was mounts on the axle were drilled out to 1/2” to match the heims on the old shocks. The bushings on the Falcons are slightly smaller to use the stock metric bolts. Although I paused for a second to drill out my brand new spendy shocks, I decided it was the best course of action.

After getting the shock in place I went to reinstall the after market inner fenders. I really thought they were going to clear the shocks fine but ......haha

While the tires were off I noticed my brake pads were pretty well done. So after spending a solid 8-9 hours on the Jeep, I got the fronts mounted. I expected the fronts to be the easy ones. Haha

Hopefully get to the rears soon77D237F8-E81A-45BD-8332-49035F1A4B93.jpeg86A5A1E8-56F3-4396-A78F-82693E1FC674.jpeg

ChestonScout

Tried bolting on the back shocks today. To my surprise there was only 2” of shock shaft showing at ride height.

After conning Greg into sending me pics of his mounts, I determined my mounts were roughly 4-5” higher than the stock location. So out came the grinder and plas

I just cut the existing mount off and moved it down as much as I could to still get a good weld on there.
Before
29A5982E-786B-4746-A306-26BC5696D88F.jpeg

ChestonScout

And after
CB9AD37B-2851-4E9A-AFFD-2FEF6FBD8675.jpeg
I would have liked to go another 1” or so down but with the time I had and ambition level this will do. I added a spacer to the bump stop pad to have those distances match as well

ChestonScout

And as much as I want 40s on this thing....

They just aren’t going to fit without way more cutting than I want to do

4D84EBE5-B3B2-46CE-8FEF-9FC8F8C91A25.jpegMaybe some 38s.

Took it around the neighborhood and the ride is noticeably better. I have all the settings on the softest. I will probably play around with that a bit

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks great, you have a LOT of wheel travel! That Watts link is pretty neat, sometimes I can fell my rear trackbar push the backend of the Jeep in certain situations (pulling thru a deep gutter at an angle.)

It sucks you had to do so much work to get a set of shocks to bolt on. I want to hear what you think about the Falcons after a drive on the freeway, that was where we really noticed the change. Seems like JKU's get a little tail-end wobble at high-speed... our JKU is now stable as can be, but still rides very well.