Shop / Tools Opportunity to learn/experience welding... Episode 1

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I just switched to a 3/32 7014 and turned the heat down a bit.
That has given me a little better consistency. But still not like I want
7014 is not a Low Hydrogen rod so it's definitely not moisture unless you had them sitting in water.

Are you welding a gap or is it on good fit up material?

And correct me if I'm wrong but it almost looks like you're welding downhill vs uphill.

Now I'm not familiar with 7014 as much as other rods but most stick rod requires an uphill welding direction or you risk serious slag inclusions. If I'm wrong ignore this but that could be part of your issue.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Somehow I missed the uphill vs downhill post above. That is quite likely my problem for a lot of it. I have been very specifically welding down hill, as I thought that was correct.
This is another perfect example of the differences. Looks like two completely different people welded it.

I am so frustrated with the mixed welds on this rack that I just want to throw it away and start again.

C07E6A85-D08F-4C6B-8E1A-6CB96834B20A.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Somehow I missed the uphill vs downhill post above. That is quite likely my problem for a lot of it. I have been very specifically welding down hill, as I thought that was correct.
This is another perfect example of the differences. Looks like two completely different people welded it.

I am so frustrated with the mixed welds on this rack that I just want to throw it away and start again.

View attachment 147721
My son (an actual welding inspector) and the rest of the internet welding inspectors will always tell you "never weld down hill!". Someone who has done a lot of welding will tell you "depends".

I suspect the flux is the problem in your downhill weld, but I have very little experience with fluxcore. With MIG (C25 gas) you can weld down hill if the material isn't very thick. 3/16" is the max I would generally weld down hill with MIG.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
My son (an actual welding inspector) and the rest of the internet welding inspectors will always tell you "never weld down hill!". Someone who has done a lot of welding will tell you "depends".

I suspect the flux is the problem in your downhill weld, but I have very little experience with fluxcore. With MIG (C25 gas) you can weld down hill if the material isn't very thick. 3/16" is the max I would generally weld down hill with MIG.
I never said never!
I weld downhill all the time! Just only in specific scenarios and if the wire/rod can do it properly. Some flux rod can be done downhill, others you're not even supposed to attempt vertical or overhead welding. But like I said, I've never welded 7014, and I'm not familiar with its flux classification either.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
2023-04-0818.33.354471093754100724555.jpg2023-04-0818.34.071262229796872758840.jpg

Critique please. I'm welding 16ga with a HF Titanium MIG 170 set exactly per the chart for. 035 wire.

2023-04-0818.36.495792937755213954960.jpg

Too fast? Not enough voltage? I feel like this is just a little cold.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
.035 is probably excessive for 16 gauge, .025 would be more appropriate IMO.

Other than that it looks like you're getting plenty of heat, from the bluing outside of the weld. Thats called heat effect zone, it shows heat penetration in the parent metal.

shortstraw8

I purchased a LA kit for the WJ to try and do everything to it I wanted to from the start and make it more street-able before the oldest gets to driving. I have any old weld pack 3200 that will do the 7g with flux core. I thought I saw a discussion on here about the difference between outer shield and inner shield flux but not finding it. Is there any reason to go with inner shield; cleaner, stronger....
IMG20240210202147.jpg
The weldpack shows innershield .035 does the 3/16" 1/4" but nothing about GS

IMG20240204155315.jpg

Trying to find a balance with the GS on this machine, first welds (pic) were a mix or figuring out pace and settings. With the new tips feel like the machine is more consistent. Looking at the door it shows there is a gasless nozzle, is that really needed?
I have read around and above that dropping sire size to slow down a little can help.

The bench build is meant to hopefully get in the groove plus let my kids learn before pulling the jeep in and getting started. I think Im getting decent even heat, having a much harder time on the leg spreaders as they are thinner material, those welds look like trash and probably should have cleaned everything better.

Am I wasting my time with the small machine? I have more material for practice, and really if needed can probably pull in help from my uncle or cousin that are both welders.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Main perk of Self Shielded Flux Core is not needing gas. So if you don't have the gas and/or are in a windy area it is the best option besides Stick. It will also be less finicky about you having proper stick out.
Otherwise Gas Shielded is going to be cleaner and easier to weld.
Generally with Flux core welding you do not need to do any kind of motion or articulation. Just have a dragging angle and run a stringer. Focus "welding the puddle" not the work piece, especially with Self Shielded wire. That'll help keep you from burning through and burn out contaminants.

shortstraw8

Thanks, the guy I picked my brother welder up from confused me. I found some good info on lincolns site that helped straighten me back out.
He made it sound like if the wire says GS it needs gas but there is gas less that says GS, as long as it says gas less flux core I should be fine.

Thanks for the info on motion, was unaware that it was not needed with gas less always thought it was like I learned with arc to push the puddle between the pieces to meld it.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
The inner shield really relies on that drag motion and keeping the arc in the puddle. It's also the reason that it is most commonly ran with the DCEN polarity. Focuses the heat in the puddle instead of in the wire.
I hear people complain about self shielded flux all the time until they actually use it correctly.
Weld.com on youtube generally has some great videos on it that I trust if you're looking for more resources.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
If there is slag, you drag, otherwise you risk pushing the slag down into the weld.
Flux core runs hotter than gas-shielded which helps give a smaller welder a little more oomph.
Another common issue when learning to weld is moving too fast. Learn to watch the puddle, keep your stickout short, and move slow enough to keep the puddle size big enough and consistent.
As far a videos, the best I've found and tons of them https://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

The_Lobbster

Anybody have a suggestion on a decent budget helmet for the average DIY’er?

I feel like I really struggle to see what exactly I’m looking at with the old helmet I currently have before I even start the arc. Is there any helmets that have a “lighter” view while idle before auto darkening?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member

I feel like I really struggle to see what exactly I’m looking at with the old helmet I currently have before I even start the arc. Is there any helmets that have a “lighter” view while idle before auto darkening?
I have a Lincoln auto dark that I picked up from Home Depot several years ago. It's been great for my tinkering.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger

I see a lot of students running the Harbor Freight ones nowadays and they seem pretty happy with them. Just have spare batteries for them just incase they drain while sitting in the garage for too long.