Shop / Tools Opportunity to learn/experience welding... Episode 1

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I have something I would love to bring you; I just don't know how soon I could get it up to you.

My trailer's bolt-on spare tire mount broke. Sure, I could buy some new pieces and bolt it back on, but I'm thinking about having it welded on in a different (hopefully more convenient) spot. This would involve welding 1/4" plate steel to 1/4" plate steel in a T junction. Can your equipment handle that?

No problem. plenty of room to back a trailer in as well.

DaveN

I would love to do this. I'm on a trip this weekend but after then I'd love to meet up

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I could use some tips from an experienced welder. I just got a miller 135, trying to figure it out. I have very little experience beyond stitching body panels.
For youtube training, go here: https://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks
Enormous amount of info. Mostly it will show you what a good weld looks like, getting to the point where you can make said welds is all about practice.

For body panels, look at the posts by MP&C here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53534
that guy is an artist with patch panels

Bring your welder and we can work with it. Do you have shield gas or just flux-core?

Hmmm. I need to build a Rotopax carrier for my FJ60 rear bumper before Cruise Moab. What times work for you?
I'm usually available weekends and most evenings. I'm about to start painting kitchen cabinets, so I might get a little busy for a while, but would probably enjoy a diversion or two.

I would love to do this. I'm on a trip this weekend but after then I'd love to meet up
Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Let me know.

Last edited:

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
For youtube training, go here: https://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks
Enormous amount of info. Mostly it will show you what a good weld looks like, getting to the point where you can make said welds is all about practice.

For body panels, look at the posts by MP&C here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53534
that guy is an artist with patch panels

Bring your welder and we can work with it. Do you have shield gas or just flux-core?

the guy i got the welder from said it will do gas or flux core, just need to swap the polarity i guess?! i'm pretty sure its got some solid wire in it now but it doesnt specify one way or another on the spool..

i have several different spools that came with the welder so i believe we could do flux core or solid shielded.

if we wanna hook up with one of the other guys one night, i'll supply the welder and hang out to learn some myself. mostly interested in how to set this thing up properly, swap spools and weld 2 different metal gauges together. the rest i'm definitely willing to learn through some burn time.

in the mean time, i'll scope out those video's. thanks for the links.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Most solid wires are copper colored while flux core is usually silver. Do you have a gas bottle ?
Also, the drive rollers for flux core have serrations while the ones for solid wire are a smooth groove.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
OK, the wire in it is definitely copper so it should be solid like I thought. I'll check the drive roller tonight to make sure it's correct.

I do have a gas bottle, it's running a bit low so almost due for a fill.. but it's the 75/25 mix.

One of the spools I have is labeled Flux core, so I should be able to change the drive roller/polarity and run either properly!?

After watching the first couple videos of that series, I'm thinking the issues I'm having so far are ground related. Thanks again for the YouTube recommendation, surprised those didn't pop up in my previous searches. That dude's mig series rocks so far!

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
One of the spools I have is labeled Flux core, so I should be able to change the drive roller/polarity and run either properly!?

Yes.
Flux core will also run hotter than C25 for better penetration. Straight CO2 runs hotter as well (not as hot as FC) and is cheaper. I keep some FC around because you can use it in breezy conditions when the gas for solid wire would get blown away.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
The welder seems to be doing better with a new ground clamp. Now I'm sure any problems I encounter are all me! :D

Another question, I welded my rear shock x-member to the frame.. looks pretty good (to me) except for some strange brown dots?!

Is this some sort of contaminant? Flap disked the frame, the x-member was bare metal (I just brake cleaned it).

Any insight? Tips?

20170505_201524.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
If the spots can be flaked off and kind of look like glass, that's silicon that's added to the wire as a cleaning/flux agent and is normal.

Oh, and running that vertical uphill will dig in better than running downhill.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
OK, that makes sense. I'll definitely try the uphill thing next time I get the welder out as well.

Thanks for the info., much appreciated. :cool: