Shop / Tools Opportunity to learn/experience welding... Episode 1

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
acknowledging that I can't run, I decided to practice walking first. Here are some TIG attempts at lap joints on 1/8" mild steel.
Like the coped tubing above, these started out gray, but after wire brushing look like this: Bottom was first, top next.
20190203_140540.jpg

4x4_Welder

Nice. Good spacing, but a little light on filler. One trick I like to use as well is to create the puddle on the lower piece, and "wash" it up onto the higher one. Basically, feed in the filler, and then angle the puddle to the higher piece. It gives a much smoother bead appearance, and helps control that edge melt as the lower puddle edge gives a bit of a shelf to hold it all in place.
Once I get my setup from storage I'll have to post some pics.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
thanks for the tips and encouragement. I also think the bead is laying a little flat on the bottom piece, as in almost 3x wider than it is tall.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Pics in post #123 look much better.

Like 4x4_Welder mentioned a little light on filler material.

Similar to what he does to get up to that upper piece on a lap joint, I get my puddle molten and then push in the filler to actually raise the puddle up to just kiss that upper edge on the upper piece then move forward and repeat. A little different technique than 4x4_Welder but same principle.

Practice, practice, and more practice but your getting much better and more consistent.

Mike

Tebbsjeep

Any pointers for welding in tube adapters? I need to replace the ones in my control arms. I picked up Herzog's old Hobart 175 and I'll be running it with flux core until I can save up for a bottle. I'm going to find some tube to practice on before I tackle my control arms. Is welding on HREW different than welding DOM? As in do I need different welder settings even if it's the same thickness?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Any pointers for welding in tube adapters? I need to replace the ones in my control arms. I picked up Herzog's old Hobart 175 and I'll be running it with flux core until I can save up for a bottle. I'm going to find some tube to practice on before I tackle my control arms. Is welding on HREW different than welding DOM? As in do I need different welder settings even if it's the same thickness?
It's the same settings. Even if you can hook up a CO2 bottle to that welder, it's a huge change. CO2 can produce a little more spatter than the C25 mix gas, but it's a totally acceptable shielding gas for MIG applications.

Tebbsjeep

I weld outside and until I build some panels to block the wind, flux core is probably better anyway. I do want to get a gas set up soon though.

Tebbsjeep

Do any of you guys use a respirator while welding? I got "metal sickness" once before and it wasn't pleasant. What brand/model do you prefer?

Tebbsjeep

Well whatever it was, it gave me a crazy bad headache. I know it wasn't galvanized. I'd like to be cautious and use a fume filter.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor

A couple of pointers when welding in tube adapters. First, when using HREW there will be a pronounced seam that you will want to file down or the tube adapter won't fit properly. Keep the OD of the tube adapter as close to the ID of the tubing as possible because if there is much difference the tube adapter will start to rock in the tubing and can fatigue crack the weld.

Also, and very important, don't rely solely on the perimeter weld of the tube adapter to tubing. Drill a cross hole about a third to half the length of the tube adapter down the tube where the tubing adapter will reside and Rosette (plug) weld the tube adapter into the tubing in addition to the perimeter weld 180-degrees apart. Make sure the Rosette weld is burned in good to the adapter and fused the tubing into the molten puddle to ensure strength.

Here is an example of a tube adapter welded into some DOM tubing. Note the Rosette weld about 3/4" from the end perimeter weld at about the 10 o'clock position.
88e344e61b8f58ad9c62cb8f69046664.jpg

Here is a track bar welded in the same manner. Root pass followed by cover pass but in the first picture you can see the hole that will be used for the Rosette weld.
f6d83fcb27cf2dbc496d42ce4da58904.jpg

486e9bcbd64df2bc96d516652edf2fed.jpg

Mike

Tebbsjeep

Mike,

So the first picture is MIG and the second was TIG. Are you doing multiple passes with the MIG or just one? Doing a root pass on the TIG makes sense, but would you need it with MIG?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Mike,

So the first picture is MIG and the second was TIG. Are you doing multiple passes with the MIG or just one? Doing a root pass on the TIG makes sense, but would you need it with MIG?

You are correct, the first picture was MIG and was single pass and the other two pictures were using the TIG (GTAW) process with the weave being on the second TIG pass. Just ensure you are getting a nice molten puddle consisting of BOTH the inner tube adapter and the outer tubing to ensure a solid weld. I've seen several tube adapters that people have welded over the years that have pulled out and there has been lack of fusion on most of them where the root was almost untouched by weld deposit.

Mike

Tebbsjeep

I need to pick up some pieces of 2in. 1/4 wall tube to practice on. As well as the corresponding size tube to slip inside to act as the adapter.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Some people like to thread their rod end into the tube adapter to act as a heat sink so they don't damage the threads in the tube adapter. You could try that but you do run the risk of damaging the rod end if you put too much heat into it, or I have seen people actually fuse the rod end into the adapter.

I just prefer to leave the adapter empty but you do have to control your hear or you can damage the internal threads. After a few it will become like second nature and you won't even think about it.

Mike

Tebbsjeep

I do have some smooth sided adapters that I can sacrifice after I practice on just tube. I want to use hex sided adapters so I can actually tighten the jam nuts properly.

jebuwh

Someone posted this thread in mine asking about learning to weld. If you are going to be doing this again, please let me know! I would love to get semi proficient at welding.