OrangeSkidPlates 98 Cherokee Build

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Yes, flip your shackles around.

As far as your limited down travel is concerned, maybe the shackle hitting the mount and limiting compression on one side is why you aren't getting the desired droop on the other side. I'd flip the shackles first and see if that also fixes your droop issue.

OrangeSkidPlate

So I flipped the shackles, but didn't have enough time to flex it out to see where I need to put my new shock mounts. I also put new bolts in the the 3 link since the ones I had were a bit small. It is so nice to not have the front end move around so much. Also tuned the bumpstops in the front since I hadn't really looked at it since the 35's and longer shocks. I used two hockey pucks and extended stops that a buddy of mine gave me. I think I am going to get some bar pin eliminators so I can push the shocks up another inch since I have about 2.5 inches of usable length left.

I ordered a JCR belly skid for EJS but since they make their stuff in batches, I am not sure it will be here in time for EJS. So fingers crossed on that one. Also, I really need a bigger floor jack. And anyone who is interested in a capable jeep, my buddy is selling the Zj that is in the picture.
I have been thinking about trying to get a traction bar or something to help combat the axle wrap in the rear end. I am not sure if I really even have a noticeable amount of wrap but it seems like a worth while investment.

thenag

I have been thinking about trying to get a traction bar or something to help combat the axle wrap in the rear end. I am not sure if I really even have a noticeable amount of wrap but it seems like a worth while investment.

(easy for me to say...) by the time you figure out a good traction bar you are almost half way to throwing coils on the rear...

just saying ;)

Nathan

OrangeSkidPlate

I picked the motor up off of ksl, I think I paid too much for it but I needed it quick. There are a few guys that are always parting something out.

I don't think that I'll ever link the rear, but I don't know. I think I can get the performance that I want from a well tuned shackle and leaf setup, as of right now, I don't have that. haha

I can't say no to free things, so I'll take them. I was going to use the mounts off of a rear sway bar for them, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

OrangeSkidPlate

I assume that if a water pump leaks out of the little hole on it, it is bad? Mine started leaking and then stopped so either it fixed itself or there is a ton of crap in my coolant and plugged the hole.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I assume that if a water pump leaks out of the little hole on it, it is bad? Mine started leaking and then stopped so either it fixed itself or there is a ton of crap in my coolant and plugged the hole.

Yeah, the weep hole in the pump lets you know when the seal is toast. Time to replace the pump.

OrangeSkidPlate

Replaced the water pump, jeep still runs a touch warm. Didn't really take the time to really bleed it, just kind of half assed it by pulling a heater core hose and filling it. Also found that a lower bell housing bolt had worked itself out so that explained some of the awful things that were happened, bought a new bolt so that is fixed. Getting stressed about moab, still need to throw on my shock mounts, put on the new skid plate, bleed the cooling, and hopefully put on the synthetic winch line.

OrangeSkidPlate

Well I mounted the skid plate from JCR and as much as I like the plate itself, the mounting hardware is the biggest load of crap in the entire world. Whoever thought it was a good idea to use zerk fittings or whatever the hell the things are on a unibody is completely retarded. Half of the the things are tight in the holes and the other half stripped out so one half of the skid is hardly even attached to the jeep. JCR needs to rethink their mounting components. It is probably my fault for not installing it properly or something like that. Anyways, leaving for EJS tomorrow, hopefully the jeep makes it home. Also the skid is black, oops.

OrangeSkidPlate

Well EJS was a blast. We left Wednesday night and rolled into Moab late that night. Got about 19 MPG so that wasn't too bad. Woke up Thursday and ran the pickle. My buddies dad and his friend walked the length of the trail, it is fairly short for those of you who haven'r ran it. The first obstacle held me up for a bit but I eventually made it. The rest of the tail was a cake walk. We hung around and watched the Tuff Country guys.

Then we went and hungout at the arena for a few hours and got some free stuff. I found the Metalcloak guys and showed a dude with a rubicon how to flex. scored 820.

On friday we ran Rusty nail. It got a little hairy for a bit.

OrangeSkidPlate

My buddy ended up winning a supercharger at the raffle. On saturday we sat at Potato salad all so it was nice to see someone else break stuff. On Sunday We went and ran the first part of fins and things and I climbed potato salad. Then we headed home. It was a good trip, ended up blowing a shock, bending a leaf and blowing a u joint.

OrangeSkidPlate

Went out and had some fun today with a few guys from the school club. We were going to try and make it up Logan peak. We went up Millville canyon and made it about 200 yards past the small memorial up on the hill and ran into some snow. The snow was pretty hard and I wasn't about add another memorial to the trail, so we turned around and went up providence for fun. I made it about half a mile up the trail above the quarry found some hard snow. Since I had a woman with me, I decided to "impress" her by breaking my u-joint. The joint blew in Moab and wallowed out the eyelets on the axle shaft so I knew it was only a matter of time that it broke, even with the new joint in it. So one good romp on the throttle and it blew. I pulled the inner shaft out and limped it home. It was a pretty fun trip.

And of course, one poser picture.

OrangeSkidPlate

Haven't done too much for awhile, I have been trying to get my summer job all sorted out. I have played in two different spring snow storms so that was fun since I really didn't get as much snow wheeling as I would have hoped. I ended up destroying my front driveshaft and maybe should have fixed it a long time ago but oh well. I was able to use my new olympus offroad winch line and really like it so far. It is way easier to use than the old cable.

Went and played around the quarry with some older rigs, the FJ rides like your kidneys are getting blasted.

I noticed the Jeep has a lean to the passenger side, not exactly sure what caused it but it seems to have been going on since Moab. I have been tossing around the idea of replacing the front springs at some point purely because I have replaced just about everything else.

I went up Franklin Basin by myself one night because I had nothing else to do and found some big aspens that fallen across the road, halting progress so I pulled them off the road and made it another 100 feet and got stuck. I was too nervous to get on the throttle because of the bad driveshaft and I definitely know I should have not been wheeling with it as bad as it was.

I convinced some friends to go up Franklin Basin again to play in the snow once more. They definitely did not have as much fun as I did. I made it further than anyone else had so far so that was fairly cool for me, I guess. I was really surprised with the jeep, I could not get it stuck and at times I had it in 3+ feet of snow and it kept going. When I thought I was stuck, a few quick turns of the wheels with some throttle and it would chug another 10 feet. Going to miss the snow.

Stuck JK

Does anyone know of any fun trails near Butte, Montana? I will be there for the summer and hope I can get the Jeep out a few times.

Last edited:

SAVAGE

There are some nice trails around the whitehall and twin bridges area up in the hills. I went exploring quite a bit on my mission in the Chevy Colorado's. Of course I had to be a lot more careful to not get any scratches. ;) Nice country, im going up in June to visit and see all the places I didnt get to before.

OrangeSkidPlate

There is definitely a lot of beautiful country but nothing really that great when it comes to challenging trails.

I had some buddies that wanted to go wheeling for memorial day, so we decided to try and make it up to Gibson lakes. We had my xj, another xj locked front and rear, a zj with a locker and a toyota truck. There is definitely too much snow still. I ended up burying the jeep up to the "frame" in soft snow and had to winch out. We had the toyota sitting on the frame in mud. So we decided to turn around and found a big rock to drive on. We found a little mud pit off on the side of the road and we probably should have stayed out of it, but unfortunately didn't. I am getting really sick of mud.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I just caught on to this thread & I'm really enjoying it!:) I like the the way you made made it more of a "This is how it work after the mods" vs. " this is what I did (with pics) & I hope it works like I want":D

I also like that you kept it a running & usable rig while adding parts, big & small, & kept getting out & wheeling as a priority!:thumbs:

As for Montana, been there, it's beautiful, don't know where to go!:-\

Find a rig in the grocery store parking lot that looks as beat & capable as yours & wait for them to come out, they will know where to go & be to tell you all about it!:tara::tara:
It work down in Moab all the time!:D

OrangeSkidPlate

Thank! Its definitely not the prettiest thing out there but it does the job. As for Montana, I found one or two trails but nothing really worth going on since my steering seems to be going out fairly quick. I have a massive dead spot so I assume the TREs are going bad but I don't want to replace them with more stock stuff. Also the old girl as starting leaking more so that is becoming a concern. Its becoming a bit expense for a daily driver, I am not sure if I want to really do anything else to it until I buy a truck or something that is stock. I have been tossing around the idea of getting rid of the jeep and buying a Tacoma and waiting to build it when I can afford it.

OrangeSkidPlate

So my stock exhaust manifold has been cracked for quite awhile and it needs to be replaced. I'd like to get a header that gives more low end power. Any suggestions? I am also going to try and upgrade the down tube to a 2.5 or 2.75 like the catback that I have on there.