Ouray, Silverton, Telluride vacation

Caleb

My wife’s family is thinking of going to this area this year for their family vacation. What time of year is the best time to visit this area? They were think end of May but I’m not sure if it will be cold still (looking at pictures Greg has posted on some of the passes from that same time of year and there’s like 10’ of snow still).

Also, what are some fun things to do in the area. They aren’t wheelers, but may like some scenic stuff.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Lot's of snow up there this year, most things are likely to still be snowed in at that time. This year that might be a better August vacation

Telluride and Durango are both great tourist traps and a person can kill a day walking around the downtown areas. Take the train from Durango to Silverton and back. Mesa Verde? Ouray has a nice hot springs pool. Lots of hiking, biking, backpacking, camping, fishing.

Caleb

Thanks guys! That was my initial reaction when my wife said they were thinking end of May. They usually go to St. George and golf for a week (to get out of the cold, etc), so going somewhere where there is likely still going to be snow or at a minimum still be fairly chilly may not be what they are looking for.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yeah, the San Juans have gotten hammered harder than the rest of CO this Winter, and that's saying something. I agree with @Noahfecks , August if you actually want to run the passes.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
We go every August and have been for the past 11 years now and I think it is the perfect time of year but unfortunately everyone else is figuring that out as well. When we started going to Ouray in 2007 the campground that we stay at was only about half full and we would see a few Jeeps and a few ATV's on the trails here and there but the weather was fantastic and usually the snow was just melting on an above average snowfall year. Most years there are a few traces of snow here and there but nothing is impassable.

In August 2017 this was a common site on several of the trails.
5686dbdd0569b11f9d798c48191f372c.jpg

This past August (2018) was the warmest of the years that we have been going because we had to run our rooftop A/C's in our coach for the first time in all of those years as it was in the mid-90's, unseasonably warm for the area. The rivers and waterfalls were also at their lowest so the scenery was not as breathtaking as usual.

As the years have gone by we have seen an increase in campgrounds being full and last year when my wife and I hosted our annual rally there the campground had a waiting list for several months prior and most others in the area were full as well. Also last year was the first time that we had a 2 hour wait lines up above the waterfall on Black Bear Pass with about 25 vehicles ahead of us and many a bit nervous of the switchbacks which just prolonged the wait. Heading back over Imogene Pass the two way traffic seemed to occur at the narrowest and most inconvenient times which made the wife a bit nervous as it seemed to keep putting her side on the downhill side. Even on Poughkeepsie it was a heavy traffic day and by the time we arrived at the "wall" there were a good 20 Jeeps ahead of our group of 12 so a long wait at the end of that trail as well.

All in all it is still fun and great time of year to go but the traffic from the Jeeps has increased and the amount of side by sides on the trails now is almost enough to make a person pause and rethink the August timeframe. We have some friends that have gone back in September a few times and think it is less crowed but the weather is a bit more unpredictable that late in the year.

Mike

Bart

Love that area and we are planning a trip this year also, but later in the summer. I don't think any of the high mountain passes will be accessible in late May.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've been there in late May a couple of times and it was great. The mountain passes were fine for us but I think they got a lot more snow this year.

There are 3 waterfalls basically in town that are cool to see and some neat little diners (last I was there at least). The million dollar highway is cool and some of the old mining stuff in Silverton is pretty neato.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Best time for a vacation are the first two weeks school is back in session, all of the shops and restaurants are still open but the crowds are gone, but I realize that plan doesn't work for most people with kids.