Trip Report Pack Saddle Gulch, N. Fk Coal Wash, Devil's Racetrack

eprobe

I ran down to the San Rafael Swell a couple weeks ago. Just a quick three-day weekend trip. Drove to Box Flat and Big Hole in Pack Saddle Gulch. Then I drove over to Fix-It-Pass and the North Fork of Coal Wash. I was going to skip the Devil's Racetrack but met up with a couple from Denver with a new Jeep (Wrangler Unlimited?) who were also hanging out by the Racetrack unsure if they wanted to give it a try. We joined forces and made it through.

I plan to go back to the Swell this winter for a few follow-up routes in near Big Flat and Pack Saddle Gulch, and possibly Eva Conover and a few other out-of-the-way routes.

aboveeastforkredcanyon2.jpgAbove East Fork of Red Canyon

bighole2.jpg Big Hole
eastforkredcanyon2.jpg East Fork of Red Canyon
northforkcoalwash4.jpg North Fork of Coal Wash. Had to do some road building to get through this brutal section.
slipperarch3.jpg Slipper Arch
razorback.jpg Razorback, an obstacle on the Devil's Racetrack. Again, I had to build up the road to get through, though the folks I was with did just fine.
twinpriests.jpg Twin Priests, on the Devil's Racetrack

Last edited:

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Was this the first weekend in November? I am pretty sure a group guys and I on motorcycles and a couple sxs passed you going the other way on the trail.

eprobe

Marsh99: Hmmm, could have been. Would that have been just above Cane Wash? Or was it near the north end of the Devil's Racetrack?

eprobe

I think I do remember you guys. You collected at the intersection of Devil's Racetrack and North Fork Coal Wash. Too bad I didn't go through with you, but I would have slowed you down.
devilsracetrack.jpg