Official Packing for a week on the trail - Overview

and finally, cooler vs fridge..

Coolers vs Fridge, and Ice technqiues.

Starting in about 05 (when I was much poorer / borderline bum) I learned a trick off the internet related to people going to Burning Man for a week. In our house we have an extra freezer, so I keep bottles of water frozen in the freezer. I have different sizes, and as you can guess the bigger the bottle the longer it lasts. Key is that when it melts, it doesn't get your stuff wet. It also makes for heavenly drinking water when out in the desert.

I use this technique instead of a fridge though rightly so I would use a fridge if I had one. Maybe someday and ice takes up precious room. I carry two small coolers. One for things that can get wet (aka put a bag of ice in there in case you want mixed drinks, water on ice) with beer bottles, gatorades, etc. and then the food cooler has a fairly strict "no ice" rule so food doesn't get wet. This said my friends (and I) have violated this before because its a much easier line to cross when you have a cooler. Strike 1 more point for the fridge.

I hope all this helps...

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Just ran on to this via Facebook, one of the best packing articles I have ever read. Kurt has done what few could do. I started out by taking trips along the Missouri River north and east of Kansas City, Kansas as a 12 year old kid with a wood frame back pack I built, a bed roll, and my 22 rifle. Dad was in the Maritime Service during the 2nd WW so I learned from hard experience and mistakes what to take and what to leave behind on my up to one week trips. Later I started hiking the high Sierras in California and would carry 2 weeks of food, clothing, and shelter in a 50 to 70 pound back pack. Some of my one week trips were with a wife and four kids. The only thing I had to find along the way was water because there was no way you could carry that much water. When I started four wheeling it was nice to have all that extra room for things I did not have to carry. It was also nice to be able to take a shower instead of a full bath out of a Sierra cup full of hot water.
I have only one piece of advice, what you don't use that is not for safety leave at home next time.
Great job Kurt and RME.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
As I'm starting to gather things for our next multi-day outing I keep asking myself- Why do I feel like Lonestar every time my wife decides she wants to tag along?! LOL

:D

[video=youtube;G1CYg0vIygE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1CYg0vIygE[/video]

Box Rocket

bored
Dunno how I've missed this thread. I'm always looking for better ways to keep my gear organized. I've learned a couple things. Good quality containers are essential (although some can be pretty pricey). Secondly, it's a whole lot easier to keep stuff organized for myself and my wife (or other adult passenger) than it is to keep stuff organized with the kids along. That's cool. I'd rather have a bit of chaos inside the truck and have the kids along for the trip than not have them there with a perfectly packed truck. But, there's always something to learn, so thanks for putting this stuff together Kurt.

but....all of this is definitely one reason I built my trailer. :)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Dunno how I've missed this thread. I'm always looking for better ways to keep my gear organized. I've learned a couple things. Good quality containers are essential (although some can be pretty pricey). Secondly, it's a whole lot easier to keep stuff organized for myself and my wife (or other adult passenger) than it is to keep stuff organized with the kids along. That's cool. I'd rather have a bit of chaos inside the truck and have the kids along for the trip than not have them there with a perfectly packed truck. But, there's always something to learn, so thanks for putting this stuff together Kurt.

but....all of this is definitely one reason I built my trailer. :)

Dunno how I missed your reply? Had someone ask me about a update in this thread today and I had to dig er' up.

Trailers certainly offer more room which makes packing easier... but I'd argue that too much stuff along for a trip makes a hectic experience and a miserable un-packing experience. I always quip about Romer (Adam will know who I'm referring to and I hope Romer doesn't see this). He rolled up to a CM Pre-Run years back with a new Kimberley (IIRC) trailer, he spent the next 4 hours setting it up. Campped a night and spent 4 hours the next day packing it up and getting a hotel as the weather was heading south fast and didn't want to be packing up a snow covered tent. To be fair it was brand new and he was trying the full outfit setup but I sat in my camp chair with a beverage in hand heckling for hours. Last time I camped with him he was sleeping in his 80 :D

Redx

I had bought a few of the heavy duty plastic bins and had each packed for specific types of trips. Such as having one for general camping, another for hunting, one for overnighters, etc... I found it easy to just grab and go, run a quick strap over them to hold them down in the bed of the truck and then it was just packing a cooler and a duffel for personal items before I left. I think I could be ready to hit the trail in about 30 minutes back then if I wanted to do a last minute trip or something. I also had an in the bed lock box that I put back by the tail gate for easy access to items, with a quick disconnect system so I could pull it out quickly if I actually needed to use the bed of my truck for something. I am glad this thread got bumped back up to the top, I had forgotten about this type of thing for a while now and need to go back through it all and see what I need to pack and how to pack it with the addition of a wife, kid, and dog to my life.

Box Rocket

bored
Dunno how I missed your reply? Had someone ask me about a update in this thread today and I had to dig er' up.

Trailers certainly offer more room which makes packing easier... but I'd argue that too much stuff along for a trip makes a hectic experience and a miserable un-packing experience. I always quip about Romer (Adam will know who I'm referring to and I hope Romer doesn't see this). He rolled up to a CM Pre-Run years back with a new Kimberley (IIRC) trailer, he spent the next 4 hours setting it up. Campped a night and spent 4 hours the next day packing it up and getting a hotel as the weather was heading south fast and didn't want to be packing up a snow covered tent. To be fair it was brand new and he was trying the full outfit setup but I sat in my camp chair with a beverage in hand heckling for hours. Last time I camped with him he was sleeping in his 80 :D
I agree whole-heartedly that it's easy to go overboard with the amount of gear you take and a lot of people are guilty of that. It has definitely taken some practice to learn what I really need to bring along and what can stay home. My trailer has been a total necessity on trips that I'm with my family. There just isn't room in the vehicle (no matter how light we pack) for six people and a dog plus gear. I have learned to look for reasons NOT to take the trailer rather than make excuses to bring it, but the reality for me is that anything more than a day trip with the family just requires the need for the trailer.
The Romer story is funny. In his defense, I know it was a new trailer for him and he was "trying it out" but it's still a perfect example of a bunch of fancy gear can mean just a bunch more work and less time to enjoy why you're out there in the first place.

McFate

My Google-fu is weak - I've been trying to find a map case similar to the one shown in one of the first posts of this thread, but I'm striking out. Anyone have any suggestions where I might find a decent case that I could use to store & protect maps? I'm looking for something large enough to hold one or two of the Benchmark Atlas books.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Adventure Tool Company makes one although I'm not sure if it will accommodate 2 benchmarks. I have a few of their tool pouches and think they are pretty awesome, they are going to last a super long time.

I'm not positive but I think they may be in town next week for CruiserFest. They were last year at least.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
My Google-fu is weak - I've been trying to find a map case similar to the one shown in one of the first posts of this thread, but I'm striking out. Anyone have any suggestions where I might find a decent case that I could use to store & protect maps? I'm looking for something large enough to hold one or two of the Benchmark Atlas books.

That is a HEMA map case I scored in Aussie, it's much smaller than a Benchmark or similar. When Adventure Tool came out with their atlas holder I scored one of those. Much larger but it would be a tight fit for 2 atlas's imo.

Funny Kurt...I witnessed the Romer setup that year at CM! Maybe Romer will get to do it again with his new Cadillac trailer arriving soon! He will likely see this thread since you linked it on our RS Forum ;)

great thread...I like the soft ARB large bags. Gonna have to look into those.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Funny Kurt...I witnessed the Romer setup that year at CM! Maybe Romer will get to do it again with his new Cadillac trailer arriving soon! He will likely see this thread since you linked it on our RS Forum ;)

great thread...I like the soft ARB large bags. Gonna have to look into those.

I've since joked with him a fair bit about it. He's a good sport and obviously trailers worked well for him, enough to buy/import that new one. Trailers work killer for some, I had some great experiences with my trailer/RTT combo back in the day.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
IMG_3193.jpg

Was just looking for something else and came across this packing thread. I just did the Rubicon for 2 nights and drove the Jeep out to/from the trail. That was a bit daunting but with the help of Teraflex shelf and some creative packing, we did pretty well. We weren't overly comfortable but definitely comfortable enough. Sorry for the lighting in the picture but stuff packed in pretty well for us. Basically the rear lower cargo area was for tents, pads, tools, two chairs, sleeping bags and a cooler. The shelf had two stadium seats (thought these would be clever but they were kind of 'meh') some coats, my wool blanket of many uses ($5 in Tijiuana in 1990 has seen a lot over the years) a zipped together pair of sleeping bags for sleeping with the mrs and our clothing bags behind that. We gave each one of us a backpack sized bag for the trip. Foodstuffs went under the rear seat that we labeled the "pantry" and allowed secure (-ish, it is a soft top Jeep), easy access throughout the trip.

The combo of the JKU softtop and the Teraflex shelf (softtop not recommended for use with the shelf) worked awesome. You had full access to the shelf through the rear or side windows. Very convenient and efficient.

We had a cool opportunity to try out a trailer a little on the trip (just towing from/to and not on the trail). For comfort after 5 days in a Jeep and a 9 hour drive, we stole some available space in the trailer for the trip back to SLC. That was pretty stinking nice as far as getting stuff out our way. I'm not sure how I'd feel about a trailer on the trail but 4 people in a TJ need space and the trailer works pretty well for that. Something to think about if you're thinking about a trailer, I guess. I'm not sure where I'm at with one. Convenient but a pain to drive around at times. The Rubicon was a little more technical this time than when I went in 2013. 2013 trip a trailer would have been totally fine, this year it was a bit much but still doable and a solid solution. I think if you had uber cool backpacking gear (small, light, expensive, etc.) that would be a better solution but that's a pretty significant investment (not that a trailer isn't). To each their own there I guess

Things I loved about the setup for the trip:
Soft Top---access to rear cargo area was great. Late model type top (bigger windows and quieter fabric) was totally fine for 9 hour drives across NV
Rock-Slide Engineering table---that that thing is super convenient. Found all kinds of uses for two table tops. Very compact and efficient in a JKU but quick to deploy, use and stow when you're done.

My wife had a rather clever solution to our kitchen type needs. We had a TailGater rollup for utensils, cups, breakfast stuff, etc. I hung that from the "roll bar" and the soft top bracket so it was easily accessible from the drivers side soft top door. It worked pretty well but was a little bulky due to some of the contents in it. This could be improved on and used pretty heavily.

Things that would need improvement if we did Rubicon or similar in a JKU again:
Cooler---worked out fine but we were OUT of water on our third trail day (2 adults, 16 yr old and 11 yr old). Thanks to Bryson for throwing us a few water bottles :D We froze our 20 oz water bottles as a cooling source and added about 4 lbs of dry ice. Cooler was still cold after the fourth day but wouldn't be after a fifth. ARB fridge would be awesome here but with my varying commitment to the JKU, I haven't wanted to invest in a slide solution for a refrigerator that is required with the Teraflex shelf.

Sleeping pads/bags---They are HUGE! They likely took up about 40% of my cargo space. Combine that with the tents and I'm pretty close to 50-60%? My wife and I were VERY comfortable Exped SIM Comfort Duo 7.5 pad and her and I being non-tent camper fans, that makes sense to use space on. However it was a pretty stiff penalty for size. There's probably something out there as nice but for the $ that worked well for us. We just used a Costco flannel/canvas sleeping bag zipped together and that worked fine. It took up as much space as two sleeping bags so I justified it but it was kind of bulky (but a good barrier from the passenger compartment to the cargo compartment crammed into the shelf and speaker bar in a JKU).