Packing the rig for an extended trip?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The only thing I think I'm going to do is have someone fab up a receiver mounted rack to hold 2-4 water/fuel cans. I figure it could be high enough to stay out of my way, and if it's receiver mount it would be easy to slide out at camp or when I need to get into my rear hatch......paging Tyler?

I'm planning on building one of these as well. If it turns out to be a decent idea, I hope to make more and sell them for far less than a swingout carrier costs these days ~ was thinkin $250-300 range..

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Cabelas has some like that made by Koplin the gun case manufacturer, less expensive. 2 gal for $69.99 I think. I did not look them up today though. They are sweet on atv's.

They are definitely pricey, But if you got money blowing a hole in your pocket go for it, I dont have any nor will I be purchasing any, It was just an option. :)

MOODY

Bald Guy
I'm planning on building one of these as well. If it turns out to be a decent idea, I hope to make more and sell them for far less than a swingout carrier costs these days ~ was thinkin $250-300 range..

Here is a super basic setup that I have really liked:
IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

You can kinda see it here as well;
IMG_0252.jpg

I even put a large tree on there and hauled it home from the nursery.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Here is a super basic setup that I have really liked:

That certainly is the idea. A rig with a full swing up door would need something that would allow the door to be opened.. You're lucky enough to have tailgate, and top window.. Lucky :)

Greg, now that I have time I can go through my packing system. It's not nearly as extensive as some that i've read, but it works for now.

First off, I remove the bottom seats from teh rear bench. This is 4 bolts in the 4runner, and the Xterra has quick release latches for removeal.

All of my recovery gear goes into a smallish duffle bag. This includes, tow strap, gloves, D-rings, jumper cables, BFH. This bag sits immediately behind the front seats.

My tool box sits beneath the recovery bag. This tool box is maybe an 80 pieces including sockets, combination wrenches and so on.

I've found that NATO or Scepter fuel cans fit perfectly between the front seats, and the folded rear backs, if that makes sense. I might have one of those on a weekend trip, and two if a full trip. I've never had a problem with leakage or fumes... That is, except for one time when I used one of kurt Scepters that had a cracked lid.. Even then, not a big issue.

In the rear trunk of the Xterra I have a tarp, a big thick blanket for repairs and such, tire iron, LED worklight, crowbar, bottleneck jack, big flashlight, and whatever else I can fit in there.

I have a loose tool bag with random wrenches, pliers, and so on, that sits in one of the side storage compartments. Next to that is a fire extinguisher. Behind those are paper towels. There is a bungee that secures the extinguisher from tipping over. This bungee has two waterproof bags clipped to it that hold one, loads of bungees, straps and so on; and two, extra warm clothes.

At this point in packing I have the entire rear of the Xterra completely open and free for my containers. I have one large Action Packer, and one small Action Packer. The large box generally holds the odd items like Hi-Lift base, random large akward tools, massive 12v search light, garbage bags, z-ties, just loads of the more random stuff.. The small Action Packer holds all of my dry food, and so far has been absolutely perfect in its size.

I'll throw in the average size cooler, and continue to dream about having a fridge. These three are ratchet strapped down and secured tight. Around those i'll throw a campchair, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and a backpack incase hiking takes place.

I think I might replace the big Action Packer with another small one since the Xterra has so much more useable storage spaces than the 4runner did.

-Jason

ammo_bru

Thin tanks like this?!?
http://www.rotopax.com

I love my box/bed in the back of my FZJ80, It is however a catch all with all my crap I dont always need :)

Sorry, not like those at all. The ones I saw sit on the roof of a horse trailer. They are much larger 20 to 40 gal. I saw one trailer that the tank was under the hay rack (about 4" to 6" tall). What I saw is much larger than you could use. These had a water line running down the side of the trailer to a faucet so they could hook up hoses for washing the horses and so on.
Sorry I guess I should see if I can find some info before speaking. If you could find a tanh small enough, you could have running water that would not take up any room. I will see if I can find some info.