Paypal will charge you thousands of dollars if you promote "disinformation"

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

A new policy update from PayPal will permit the firm to sanction users who advance purported “misinformation” or present risks to user “wellbeing” with fines of up to $2,500 per offense.

The financial services company, which has repeatedly deplatformed organizations and individual commentators for their political views, will expand its “existing list of prohibited activities” on November 3. Among the changes are prohibitions on “the sending, posting, or publication of any messages, content, or materials” that “promote misinformation” or “present a risk to user safety or wellbeing.” Users are also barred from “the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory.”

The company’s current acceptable use policy does not mention such activities. The Daily Wire reached out to PayPal for definitions of the added terms, although no response was received in time for publication.

The policy applies to actions taken using PayPal’s platform.

Deliberations will be made at the “sole discretion” of PayPal and may subject the user to “damages” — including the removal of $2,500 “debited directly from your PayPal account” per offense. The company’s user agreement contains a provision in which account holders acknowledge that the figure is “presently a reasonable minimum estimate of PayPal’s actual damages” due to the administrative cost of tracking violations and damage to the company’s reputation.

Unbelievable.

Yahoo news version

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So how does that work? I didn’t think you could make comments on PayPal’s site. So if they see you say something they don’t like on facespace they remove $2500 from your account? Do people keep that kind of money in there to take?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
So how does that work? I didn’t think you could make comments on PayPal’s site. So if they see you say something they don’t like on facespace they remove $2500 from your account? Do people keep that kind of money in there to take?
They would withdraw it from one of your connected accounts, from what I understand.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
PayPal saying it was an error and never intended the language to be in there like that is interesting. Obviously Elon Musk tweeting an agreement to David Marcus’ statement above would naturally cause them to rethink. But even if it was a lower level person feeling they had the nod to insert the language, it speaks to the culture of an organization (or industry?) that feels it has the right/duty to cast righteous judgement on speech, and enforce with whatever means at their disposal.

Musk taking over twitter will be very interesting.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I expect it's more of a self-defense thing, somebody at Paypal thinking they're getting ahead of a lawsuit for letting undesirables use their platform to move money around.

I'm still real confused about how it would have worked though.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Point: The First Amendment guarantee of free speech only prevents the government from restricting speech, and obviously that's not an absolute guarantee ("fire" in a theater, etc). It doesn't apply to private individuals or organizations acting within their own rights.

Counterpoint: No individual or organization should ever grow strong enough to wield government-level abilities to restrict speech, and if they do they should have their abilities regulated in the same way the 1st regulates the government.

This wouldn't be a problem if we had anti-trust laws with teeth.