Pee Wee racing

Tonkaman

My 6 year old daughter is determined to be the next enduro-cross champion of the world! She even loves watching freestyle motocross movies at night together to unwind. She has pushed her PW50 to the max and is ready to move into a real motorcycle.

I'd love to get her into some type of racing or competitive riding with other kids. What are my options? She's gets extra excited watching desert racing and extreme enduring type stuff. I know there is plenty to learn from the motocross track but I don't want that to be where we get stuck.

Next question is about the bike. I plan to buy her a new bike before spring. It seems that my best options are a KTM 50mini or a Cobra 50jr. I don't know much about the cobra but the spec sheet looks pretty impressive. Will the racing scene have any requirements on bikes I have to worry about before buying? Why buy Cobra over KTM? Any other contenders to look at?

Cascadia

Undecided
Im obviously a ktm guy. I've seen quite a few out in the desert and a lot of the time the kids are winning on them. But I would never touch one cause they're so dang loud. You. An hear it from a mile away. I don't think I could let me kid ever ride it with anybody around unless it's in a designated area.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My opinion is also that the KTM's are extremely noisy little mosquito bikes. I have only been around a few of them, but I remember them being very pipey little bikes. Absolutely no power, then all power. They are great for a track, but I would be cautious about one for trail and obstacle use.
However, my experiences were YEARS ago, and very limited. I haven't looked into the different options available.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
This video show the bike sounds and clutch engagement well

[video=youtube;vMOsPV2X1uk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMOsPV2X1uk[/video]

What were the kids at the enduro race riding??

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Every Cobra I have ever heard is way louder than a KTM. I would buy the KTM over the Cobra solely based on parts availability and aftermarket support. There is a dealer in Utah for the Cobras and some retailers online but nothing as convenient as Rocky Mountain or the good network of dealers scattered throughout the state plus an ample amount of aftermarket support.

As far as racing goes, MX is going to get her more racing opportunity over the USRA desert races as they stand now. Most pee wee desert races outside of what we do at our national are nothing more than running them around a 1/2 mile of turns out in the flat. If USRA does a points earning pee wee class for 2017 than it will offer better opportunity.

Tonkaman

I hate that loud pipey noise also but I assumed that was aftermarket exhaust

What option do I have then? Make my kid ride a clunky crf or ttr that will just hinder her gains?

Tonkaman

Every Cobra I have ever heard is way louder than a KTM. I would buy the KTM over the Cobra solely based on parts availability and aftermarket support. There is a dealer in Utah for the Cobras and some retailers online but nothing as convenient as Rocky Mountain or the good network of dealers scattered throughout the state plus an ample amount of aftermarket support.

As far as racing goes, MX is going to get her more racing opportunity over the USRA desert races as they stand now. Most pee wee desert races outside of what we do at our national are nothing more than running them around a 1/2 mile of turns out in the flat. If USRA does a points earning pee wee class for 2017 than it will offer better opportunity.

My thoughts exactly on the Cobra vs KTM debate. Cobra seems like a cool bike, but service and parts trump all on kids bikes.

Too bad about USRA, I was hoping there was something more complex there I didn't know about.

How did you get Jack and Bailey started?

Cascadia

Undecided
I've never heard a ktm nearly as loud as a cobra.

Kids start racing minis at 6 or 7 years old it seems like. Those are almost always less than 15 mile loops it seems like. Sometimestheyre part of the big bike course.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
How did you get Jack and Bailey started?

when he was on 50's he mainly just rode. I did not start him racing until he was on a 65. Bailee's first experience on a bike at the age of 9 was not good and she would not have anything to do with them until she was 12 and that is only because her friend was racing. We first got her riding again and then into racing at 13 on a crf150r.

Girls are a whole different animal when it comes to racing......pun intended. Almost every girl I know that races are super intense competitors. Jack is really easy going and has a ton of natural ability and incredible balance. I never worry about him since he rarely rides over his head. Bailee on the other hand has become a great rider and amazes me every time I watch her but she scares me sometimes since she will ride over head in the heat of battle. She also moves off the minis next season and will be riding a KTM that I brought home today.

Tonkaman

Thanks that helps put a different prospective on things.

Wow those kids have developed some serious skills fast! I figured they were riding before they could walk!

My daughter is insanely competitive just like you say. She rides WAY harder when someone far beyond her skill set is around.

Does anyone see a reason NOT to buy a KTM 50sx mini?

Tonkaman

Well the big day happened! Our newest edition to the brigade is a 2016 50 SX. I bought it used but it's only got 5 hours on it, not a single scratch.

I'm so damn stoked to see my girl ripp on this stallion!

3119f653d1a98166060673790cd49344.jpg

0322fce80f03c342cea880cb3210bb82.jpg

1aba97763db2c47986cdee886273c941.jpg

Tonkaman

I spent so much time looking at the 50 mini that I didn't even realize the full size 50 was a better fit. After I drop the suspension she should be playing inking really comfortable.

Tonkaman

One if the biggest reasons I decided to buy a KTM instead of a TTR or CRF is the weight. That got me curious how the bikes actually weighed in compared to their specs from the manufacturers.

2002 PW50 - claimed dry 81.6
- observed wet 89.9
2016 SX50- claimed dry 91.5
- observed wet 98.8

That's a lot more bike for 10 pounds!