Permanent Christmas lights

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Yeah, no logic allowed. If there was we just wouldn’t do Christmas lights at all. Especially since we don’t use solar to power it and save the world 🤣🤣🤣 can we bring back the solar thread?

On a serious note it may not make a difference in appraisal but it’s still a selling point if you’re looking at a house with and one without.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Yeah, no logic allowed. If there was we just wouldn’t do Christmas lights at all. Especially since we don’t use solar to power it and save the world 🤣🤣🤣 can we bring back the solar thread?

On a serious note it may not make a difference in appraisal but it’s still a selling point if you’re looking at a house with and one without.
I would chose the house without, see my previous comment about being a crotchety old man.

N-Smooth

To the mfing top. I was chatting with coworkers about this and then 30 min later a salesperson arrived at my house. So that was creepy.

It was Bosso this time and I've heard of them before. He said their linear foot price is $33 right now but I could get a "special" price of $25. All the way around our house it's like 350 ft so the "regular" price would be $12k and the "special" price would be $9k. I about died... He said they do a price lock system where we could just do the front for like $3k and lock the "special" price for the future to have the rest done. I'm intrigued but not making a decision on it right meow.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I love mine and Trimlight has been good to work to with when I upgraded my controller and had a small warranty issue. This is probably the most expensive time of year to get them. Spring was much cheaper (off season)

N-Smooth

I love mine and Trimlight has been good to work to with when I upgraded my controller and had a small warranty issue. This is probably the most expensive time of year to get them. Spring was much cheaper (off season)
They said it’s not the most expensive time but it’s hard to say if that is just sales talk. He said they have way more installers right now than the off-season and that makes it cheaper.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Good point. Probably some truth and some sales pitch. I was told spring was the cheapest and that’s when I got mine done.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have Trimlight on my house. I did it a couple of years ago and it has been great with no issues. It was expensive, but worth it. I do not know much about the other companies doing it, but our friend who owns the franchise down here, it is her brothers who has the franchise up north. I do not know them personally, but based on my experience with the product, I would recommend them.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I must be a huge scrooge, I just can't imagine paying that much for Christmas lights...
I got mine on a bit of a deal since they were just starting their business 3 years ago……still not cheap but not what the prices that are being charged now. I am too old to be crawling around on an 8-12 pitch roof, so I look at it as cheaper than a trip to the hospital. However if I were to die my wife wouldn’t be complaining about bills.

N-Smooth

I must be a huge scrooge, I just can't imagine paying that much for Christmas lights...
It’s not just about Christmas lights. I actually really like the look when they’re on white. My wife is also obsessed with lighting and always talking about blue it “elevates the space”

N-Smooth

I fell off the roof at my old house. Luckily it was like 8 or 9 feet up and I landed on the porch stairs. The railing broke my fall/I broke the railing. I had to weld up the railing attachment to the house and I left a bent baluster to remind me that getting on the roof is dumb 🤣

It’s not really noticeable to someone that doesn’t know but I still see it.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
It’s not just about Christmas lights. I actually really like the look when they’re on white. My wife is also obsessed with lighting and always talking about blue it “elevates the space”
99% of the year mine are set to every 4th light being on at about half brightness and white. Christmas is one of the few times there is color for an extended period of time. Maybe next June I’ll change them to 🌈 for the month.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
4\8 houses in my circle have them. Sounds like the 5th is going to happen soon. I'd rather have concrete than Christmas lights on the house all year. But I don't have the money for that either.

My DIY set up worked just okay. I was lazy and didn't pull them down for 3 years so the white pvc discolored. (They were mounted on the rain gutters.) Last year a couple connectors failed so I pulled them down this spring. I'm back to looking at bulk cord and just buying the bulbs and cutting the cord to length for my trim. Not going to happen this year though.

N-Smooth

4\8 houses in my circle have them. Sounds like the 5th is going to happen soon. I'd rather have concrete than Christmas lights on the house all year. But I don't have the money for that either.

My DIY set up worked just okay. I was lazy and didn't pull them down for 3 years so the white pvc discolored. (They were mounted on the rain gutters.) Last year a couple connectors failed so I pulled them down this spring. I'm back to looking at bulk cord and just buying the bulbs and cutting the cord to length for my trim. Not going to happen this year though.
I've already spent a new truck worth of $ on concrete recently so I guess this is next on the list. I looked at DIY solutions for a couple hours last night but didn't find any I really like. I like the big, bright LED's that almost have a can light effect and most of the DIY ones are tiny diodes.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My wife really wants Christmas lights ever year. Every year it goes something like this.
The wife gets angry I won't put them up.
I show her how many people fall off roofs/ladders every year and tell her it's too dangerous and not worth it.
She points to my garage full of motorcycles and claims there is some irony or something.
I tell her riding motorcycles is worth the risk of an injury that results in not being able to feel my dick, Christmas lights are not.
Somehow I'm the jerk and we move past it.

As long as these forever lights cost as much as a motorcycle, I think I'll continue to win this battle. I'll at least keep fighting it for that long.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Maybe I'm weird, but I enjoy putting the lights up each year. This is the second Christmas at this house, and I changed things up a bit from last year. Put colored lights in a few places to off set all the white. Already have ideas on how to change it again next year. I feel like if I had permanent lights, I'd get bored with them.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I don't mind getting on the roof and doing it, it comes down to a $$$ question to me. Seems like when I think about ordering bulk cord for them I go and look and I don't want to spend the money at the time, or, I don't feel like I can. The cord is cheap. The individual bulbs are expensive. (Relatively.)

I was looking at the commercial grade C7 or C9 type bulbs and cord. I want cut to length for each section and then label them so they are easy to get back up each year. I had a sheet with all the runs measured out at one point but am not sure where its at so I don't know how much cord I would need to buy. The LED bulbs are about $1 each.

I found my thread I made on the "old" set up.

N-Smooth

I was looking at the commercial grade C7 or C9 type bulbs and cord. I want cut to length for each section and then label them so they are easy to get back up each year. I had a sheet with all the runs measured out at one point but am not sure where its at so I don't know how much cord I would need to buy. The LED bulbs are about $1 each.
This is what my wife's step bro did at our old house. They actually have a company doing it all over the state. They buy the huge rolls of lights and then custom fit them and install/take them down every year. We just don't want to do it on our new house since we see permanent lighting happening down the road.