Personal GPS or SAT Trackers (or APRS options) talk

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
This just popped up on hacker news today, could be yet another viable option.

From the short article:
upcoming iPhone 13 models to feature a low-earth-orbit (LEO) satellite communication mode. This would allow an iPhone 13 user to send messages and make phone calls, even when they are not within standard 4G/5G cell tower coverage.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ive had an inreach for 6 years or so. I got it most specifically to remain reachable and to communicate with the race team in baja, but do like having the insurance of it while in remote areas. Somehow I'm the opposite, I have it more so that people can communicate to me if something bad happens in the real world and less for people to monitor my well-being. I don't think I have anyone that cares about my safety enough to check in, but if something were to happen to one of kids or my mom etc, I want to know about it.

I'm like DAA, the safety net of it doesn't make any places any more reachable..and I would prefer to be off grid anyway, but I don't want to leave the people and things that depend on me hanging in the event of an emergency.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'd be willing to bet Android will follow along shortly which is pretty cool. I'm actually suprised that android isn't doing it first (or maybe they are) and apple isn't just stealing the idea like they do with most things.
I was literally just saying that to someone at work. Usually Apple "invents" the technology a year or two after Android releases it.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I use the Inreach Mini.

A couple summers ago while backpacking the high line trail a friend got a case of altitude sickness. We ended up taking him to a nearer trailhead and his wife met us there for pick up. Without a way to reach her she wouldn't have been able to meet us at the trail head. It wasn't life or death, but being able to coordinate stuff made everything so much easier than hiking to the new trial head and then hitching out to cell service. I didn't not have an inreach at the time, but after using one from another guy in the group I went home and bought one.

Similarly when I am out guiding backpacking or canyoneering trips it is very nice to know I can contact people. I mostly use it to communicate that everything is going good, or a change of plans like a different pick up time or something. I have it linked to my cell phone through an app so I can type messages easily. The weight is low enough that I actually carry it with me. I have never used it for a serious emergency, but I am glad it is there.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Have you been happy with this? What’s has your impression been?
Well…..

I have been carrying it every ride. I sent one text to the wife while I didn’t have phone service and she got it instantly and replied.

Honestly that’s all I’ve done. We haven’t messed with any other features. But really that and the SOS is all I really need so I’m happy

I’ll be even happier if I never have to use it