Picked up a Axial Bomber

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I picked up a lightly used Axial RR10 Bomber the other day. It's from a builders kit with factory upgraded aluminum links, link plate set and King coilovers.

Came with a Traxxas/ Futaba radio system and steering servo.

I need to pick up a couple batteries and a charger so I can start playing!

20180107_115429.jpg

20180107_115439.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I like those bombers! I need to repair a few things on my wraith and actually do something with it.

Greg

Admin
So I picked up a battery and charger today, topped off the battery and started playing! It wasn't long before I noticed it had issues. The steering servo wasn't doing much at all, the radio controls were all backwards and after just a little playing, it stopped moving and made some nasty grinding sounds when trying to drive. I did some research and found that the spur gear is plastic and probably the issue. I headed to the local hobby shop, picked up a new spur gear, new steering servo and upgraded metal steering arm. After getting it apart, you could see how the spur gear and the pinion were only setup very poorly and had stripped out the spur gear.

20180108_135939.jpg

I had a local friend stop by, he knows these things very well, has a couple Bombers himself. With his help, we had it back together! He tuned the receiver and we took a quick trip out to play on some local, rocky hiking trails ... these things are FUN! I'm impressed how capable this thing is, it's a blast to drive!

RogueJeepr

Here!
The spur gear wasn't too bad. Just need the pinion closer. Use a piece of paper in between the gears to get the mesh correct.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
The spur gear wasn't too bad. Just need the pinion closer. Use a piece of paper in between the gears to get the mesh correct.

It was bad enough that I don't want to run it, and the way the teeth were chewed up, they were just going to get worse and strip out in the future. I had a new one, they're cheap.

After the issue with the plastic spur gear (and it was all due to the poor setup) and playing with the Bomber in the rocks yesterday, I think steel pinion and spur gears with a lower ratio will be on the list of future mods. The gearing stock is OK, but it could be lower. I don't think I'll ever need a 2 speed t-case, but perhaps a quality brushless motor. With deeper gearing and a good brushless, I should be good for a long time.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I regeared the axles and did a lower gears in the transmission as well with a stronger motor. I can't remember which parts and what ratios but it's very crawly and powerful. Not fast but tons of torque... more control. My son's out runs mine but I can crawl a lot better

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Found it, was 3 years ago!

1515519563754.png
1515519598072.png
1515519580957.png

I can't remember which motor I'm currently using. My gut says the 55T...? I'll check.

RogueJeepr

Here!
55 turn is what my crawler has. A 27 turn will pick up the speed .

I did turn mine into a formula off-road er with a 12-Turn modified motor but broke a ton of parts and went back to crawler mode.
Spur gears only come in plastic.

Greg

Admin
I regeared the axles and did a lower gears in the transmission as well with a stronger motor. I can't remember which parts and what ratios but it's very crawly and powerful. Not fast but tons of torque... more control. My son's out runs mine but I can crawl a lot better

That's where I'd like to be, I plan to use it for crawling, less bashing. We will see if a simple pinion & spur gear change gets me there. I think a Holmes Brushless will give me enough speed and control in the rocks.

Greg

Admin
Shortly after that pic, I was climbing a hill and ended up tumbling down... the Tactic TSX55 steering servo (that I put on yesterday) didn't like it. It was bound up for a bit, then started working... for another 45 min. After that, it decided it didn't want to do much at all. Have a Savox 1230 on the way now.

These things are bigger money pits than a real 4x4! :oops: :rofl: