Picked up a new plinker

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Couple weeks ago I picked up a Ruger 10/22 rifle so that I can start taking my daughter with me on shooting days and teaching her some things. But I must admit I've been having a good bit of fun with it myself. It has the basic flip up iron sights and they seem rather dull. I am wanting to replace them with fiber optics.

But before I go and do that, do you guys like shooting these with the irons or is it more fun with a scope? Fiber sights aren't expensive but I would need to pay a gunsmith to install them for me and I dunno what that typically costs. I haven't played target practice very much but I'm hitting my targets or cans at about 50 yards without issue. I picked up two 25 round mags also, I got one Butler Creek steel lip mag which sucks and 1 Ruger BX-25 I think they call it which is perfect. Don't wast money on the Butler Creek.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
And on a semi related note, are squirrels and rabbits fair game around the hills in the backcountry or do I have to have permit or reason to use them for targets?

DAA

Depends on the squirrels, or what is defined as a squirrel, but if they are your basic ground squirrel yeah, varmint status.

Give me a scope every time. But that's pure personal preference and deteriorated vision speaking.

If you do go fiber, not sure what you are looking at that would require a 'smith to install, if it's anything short of machining a new dovetail or drilling and tapping new screw holes I could do it for you.

- DAA

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I think the rear is set screw and the front is the one wedge type. I guess my idea is that a smith would zero it for me on a jig vs me taking them off and then throwing them on there and being off. So then I'm out in the field trying to correct. I've only ever messed with aftermarket sights so that's why these factory ones are foreign to me.

But if you're willing to set them up that'd be great. Won't be for a little bit since I'm still deciding on what I'll get. A scope does sound appealing for longer range. My vision isn't that great with small targets.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
I personally like a cheapo scope over iron sights. Or, you can buy a scope riser that raises the scope off the top of the barrel just enough to still use the iron sights. My wife's has that. Mine has a quad rail w/ red/green dot scope.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
What's a cheap scope run? I'm guessing for a little .22 it's no biggie since I think they're not strong enough to knock the scope off zero. Just as long as the image is clear and I don't go knocking it around, right?

DAA

I guess my idea is that a smith would zero it for me on a jig vs me taking them off and then throwing them on there and being off. So then I'm out in the field trying to correct.

I get that then. But, bore sighting is only an approximation. After having it done, often as not, the sights are still aren't really dialed in that well. Sometimes they are, but you can't count on it.

Sighting in is super, duper basic though. And every rifle owner should learn how to do it - it's as basic a skill as loading a magazine or pressing a trigger. I'd put it in the same category of difficulty and utility as knowing how to check your own engine oil.

- DAA

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I always imagined the wedge type to be pressed in place making it a bitch to tweak. So I didn't try it, guess I better buck up and do it sometime.

DAA

You want to make all your adjustments with your rear site, if possible.

To move a dovetail site, just tap it with a small brass drift and small hammer. Or, if you really have noting better, I have used a screwdriver and a rock with great success too.

- DAA

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Cool, I will pick up a brass punch sometime if I go that route. Or just to test it out sometime at the least. I haven't looked at the rear sight much, at first glance it appeared it it wasn't adjustable but I could be wrong about that.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I would be happy to help you install whatever and teach you how to adjust whatever you do, but I am in Spanish Fork. If you are interested tho let me know. There are some pretty sweet Peep sights from Williams for the 10/22 I think you can get them from Brownells for $20.00. I have a friend with a set on one and they work really well, Im sure you can install and adjust them.
[video=youtube;GviVYt0QlfU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GviVYt0QlfU[/video]

DAA

What's a cheap scope run? I'm guessing for a little .22 it's no biggie since I think they're not strong enough to knock the scope off zero. Just as long as the image is clear and I don't go knocking it around, right?

You don't have to spend much to get a serviceable scope. But, you do have to get one designed to withstand the forward recoil of the 10/22. Over the years I've seen a number of scopes literally fall apart on 10/22's, including expensive ones. I had two expensive one fall apart on my first 10/22 before I knew better.

For a cheap one, look for something labeled as being an "air rifle" scope. They are specifically designed to withstand the violent forward recoil of a spring piston air rifle and hold up well on 10/22's. Swift is a brand I've had decent luck with. I like the optics on them better than the similarly priced BSA. There are quite a few other air rifle scopes in the same price range too. We're talking around $65, last time I bought a few of them.

- DAA

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I would be happy to help you install whatever and teach you how to adjust whatever you do, but I am in Spanish Fork. If you are interested tho let me know. There are some pretty sweet Peep sights from Williams for the 10/22 I think you can get them from Brownells for $20.00. I have a friend with a set on one and they work really well, Im sure you can install and adjust them.

Thanks, I'll check out that video and take a look. I'll probably give it a shot adjusting sights and if I just completely mess it up then Ill probably be seeking some assistance lol.

You don't have to spend much to get a serviceable scope. But, you do have to get one designed to withstand the forward recoil of the 10/22. Over the years I've seen a number of scopes literally fall apart on 10/22's, including expensive ones. I had two expensive one fall apart on my first 10/22 before I knew better.

For a cheap one, look for something labeled as being an "air rifle" scope. They are specifically designed to withstand the violent forward recoil of a spring piston air rifle and hold up well on 10/22's. Swift is a brand I've had decent luck with. I like the optics on them better than the similarly priced BSA. There are quite a few other air rifle scopes in the same price range too. We're talking around $65, last time I bought a few of them.

- DAA

I hadn't thought about that, but good advice! I'll be looking up some scopes, for that price it makes sense to pick one up anyways even if I do upgrade sights.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Red dots are pretty awesome on a 22. You can pick up a Tasco pro point for under $50. They are easy to mount and tons of fun.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I thought about a red dot too, but I get the feeling I will get more use out of a scope or better sights.

wheelewagon

10/22's are the bees knees! I really enjoy them. As far as A scope on one, I'd personally not put one on. You don't really need one for what your doing with it(plinking). Scopes are cool, but you'e not going to be shooting far enough to need the magnification. They are very accurate with just the iron sights. People always make the argument about how much more accurate a scope is. On A bigger rifle or A target 22 I can agree since your distances are going to increase. But for this type of setup, I feel they are completely unnecessary. Plus you loose your vision with A scope, your speed on being able to pull up and shoot slows down with A scope do to smaller field of view, and now you have A scope to worry about getting banged and knocked around. Especially seeing how your kids are using it. This is all personal preference BTW. I've shot 10/22's quite A bit and am always amazed on the accuracy straight from the factory.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I just threw a bug buster scope on my 10/22. Cheap, and gets good reviews. I think it was 80 bucks off amazon