Picked up a trailer

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
A couple months ago I was considering building a car hauler for both my Willys, the Yellow '48 and the Crawler project. I wanted something small and light weight, but found I just didn't have time to build one to my needs.

Today I found this trailer locally that was 12' long, 7' wide and the price was reasonable. It's a factory built angle iron trailer from Oklahoma, has a Bulldog-style coupler and beefy diamond plate wheel wells. It doesn't have brakes, so I plan to add them on at least one axle. The owner had recently put new tires on and re-decked it. He claims it has 3,500# axles but I want to verify that. It needs quite a bit of work, new wiring and lights and I need to spend some time with the Sawzall and grinder removing the side extensions. On the positive side, I can re-use the angle iron on the sides and build ramps! :D

If I get time after work, I'll start hacking pieces off this week. I'd really like to clean up the trailer, remove the decking and treat it with Linseed oil and re-paint the trailer itself. It's been beat up and has a lot of rock chips all over.

It pulls well, I'm curious what it weighs.... I'll get it to a scale eventually and find out. Any guesses on the weight, once the excess side panels are removed? I'm going to say 1050#'s. :D

20180212_170719-L.jpg

20180212_170725-L.jpg

20180212_170738-L.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I say 1280 after the excess racks are cut off.

I used these two items on the last trailer I rewired and it was a much easier process.

Lavolta 7-Way Trailer Truck Camper Plug Cord - Inline Harness Kit RV Blade Molded Wire Double Prong Connector - Weatherproof and Corrosion Resistant - 8 FT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWIFSCE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_JVKGAbXT2AN80

Trailer Wiring Junction Box for 7 Way or 6 Way Trailer Wire Connectors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053GIR1U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_5WKGAbPY9CJ4K

Greg

Admin
I was just looking at wiring, lights and stuff..... thanks for the links! I may add some reverse lights, if I'm feeling it.

Greg

Admin
The spare tire is just some random, old tire... the tires on the trailer are 205/75/15's and I'm pretty sure the spare is bigger than the rest. I'll replace the spare with a Maxxis 8008 and eventually replace the other tires with the same Maxxis. The 8008's are incredible trailer tires, they will hold up to a lot of abuse without much issue.

https://simpletire.com/maxxis-205-7...8O31frT5QrmdNU08zLMGZCeUInx_iz7BoCNdEQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It looks like you have plenty of room, you might consider stepping up a tire size...IIRC 215 instead of 205. You can get heavier weight ratings in that size, which translates to tougher tires.

Greg

Admin
Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
It doesn't give me a lot of options far as tongue weight with the short deck length, but perhaps that's a good thing? :D

The center of the axles is still on the 60/40 line as it should be. Just looks different because of how short the Trailer is. I think that is going to be a great Trailer for your little jeep!

Greg

Admin
Man Greg, you have a lot of irons in the fire to be able to get this trailer ready to haul your flat fender to Moab for the Friday Flat Fender Fun Run.

What do you mean, it's ready to go! :D I worked an 11 hour day, then came home and chopped up the extensions and removed them.... then put the Willys in 4 Low and drove it on!

20180213_182203-L.jpg

20180213_182733-L.jpg

I think it's going to be TIGHT for the Crawler Willys that is going to end up with around 100" wheelbase.... may have to extend the back end of the trailer.... or sell it and buy a 14' er. :oops: