Picking a line when off-road

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
When it comes to putting your tires in the dirt and rocks, how do YOU decide where to place your tires as you drive? I have been watching a few videos today of popular youtube channels, that really seem to have no idea on how to drive.

Do you have a plan of action on the big obstacles? Do you just wing it?
For longer sections of rocky trail, do you carefully pick a line? Do you just point the tires forward and go?
Do you drive inside dirt ruts for added traction, or try to ride on top of the middle sections?
When stuck on an obstacle, does more throttle get you out? or is it less throttle and a little patience?

I'm not sure how we can compare notes online.. but thought it would be worth a try..

This photo for example, Do you agree with his line choice? Would you do it different?
photo 1.png

Obviously there is no right or wrong answer to anything. What makes you happy and works for you is all that matters..

I think in general, I try to 'smooth' the trail out as much as possible by picking the softer line. It may cause me to weave from one side of the trail to the other often, but the bouncing in minimized. I tend to straddle most ruts/ravines/etc when possible, I don't know exactly why though.

In the photo, I would be all the way to the passenger side around the rock, then move the drivers tires just to the other side of the small wash, and continue up.

Add some thoughts and maybe some photos to talk about.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
My two cents.

I generally straddle ruts because I hate being off camber. Unless it's muddy enough that I'll slip down anyway, in which case I'll try and ride the ruts out. The only time I've laid a rig on it's side was because I tried to straddle a big muddy rut and slipped. For rocky sections with lots of babyheads and little ledges and such, I'll only pick a line if I have to. Otherwise I'll just slow down and work my way up the middle.

In that photo I would probably put a wheel on the rock, unless it was tall enough that I'd get hung up on it when the front wheel comes off. It looks to me like the trail is wider there than it needs to be because people are dodging the rock.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I tend to find the highest points in the section of trail and drive over those (unless I’ll come off those and hit my rocker hard). That keeps the belly of my rig high and away from minor obstacles. If it’s loose rock and the rocks can roll around it gets interesting with that method. I mostly drive with a path in mind of an easy route for either the passenger side or the drivers side. The easy side will give you solid traction while the harder side will flex your suspension.

There’s a lot to picking a line. Interesting conversation. I also try to stay within the center of the trail to keep impact to the road low. One of the reasons I hate mud is that chews the hell out of the road

lhracing

I tend to find the highest points in the section of trail and drive over those (unless I’ll come off those and hit my rocker hard). That keeps the belly of my rig high and away from minor obstacles. If it’s loose rock and the rocks can roll around it gets interesting with that method. I mostly drive with a path in mind of an easy route for either the passenger side or the drivers side. The easy side will give you solid traction while the harder side will flex your suspension.

There’s a lot to picking a line. Interesting conversation. I also try to stay within the center of the trail to keep impact to the road low. One of the reasons I hate mud is that chews the hell out of the road

As Mbryson said,
I tend to find the highest points in the section of trail and drive over those (unless I’ll come off those and hit my rocker hard).

Mostly I go by a simple plan "when in doubt put a tire on it".

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I agree with above statements but I also try to pay close attention to what rocks I might hit my front or rear diff on. Try to keep the tires on those rocks or off the diffs. Often times if the rear or front gets stuck it is a little more throttle that will pull or push the diff past that rock. As I have competed some in the last couple of years it really changes how you look at things and makes you a better driver.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I wheeled too long without a locker, on your pic go passenger and avoid the rock. I look for the most level part of the trail, if you lift a tire with open diffs you might not make it and have to reposition. I usually look for where the previous people have drove and match it up, if rocks get too big put a tire on them. If you can't figure out both sides just figure out one and the other side will work itself out.

Last edited:

xjtony

I think that vehicle and driver have a lot to do with picking a line. As an example, because I have run a wide track width rig for years, it can be harder for me to spot someone on to a good line who is running a narrow track width. On a lot of obstacles the line can really change with track width and wheel base. Rocker knocker is a good example of this. Most rigs who run the traditional line (climbing the right side and working across to the left) have no issues, but I've seen some guys with a shorter wheelbase have issues making it up on this line. Still capable rigs, just need a different line. Chewie hill on Pritchett is one for me. I have a hell of a time finding a smooth line up that obstacle for some reason. In the picture i would have put a wheel on the rock.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
When it comes to a large obstacle, I visualize driving it before attempting it. Knowing your vehicle well is important so you can mentally place your tires and determine technique. That’s honestly my most favorite thing about 4 wheeling.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
When it comes to a large obstacle, I visualize driving it before attempting it. Knowing your vehicle well is important so you can mentally place your tires and determine technique. That’s honestly my most favorite thing about 4 wheeling.
Yup. Puzzles are fun.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I drive between the cones.

Before I was a competition guy I would pick the hardest line (on trail) that my rig was capable of -and often not capable of- and try to clean it. If a friend did a cool line before me I would try and do a cooler line and make them feel bad. They'd do the same. That competitive spirit is what led me to cone dodging.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

I still remember my first trip out in my Tacoma. @jeeper and @ricsrx were taking me through snakes on a snowy day. I kept saying “I can’t do that!” or “are you sure that will work?” . Coming from various full size rigs, my mind couldn’t comprehend where this little truck could fit! It was like using a scalpel instead of a machete to clear a path.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I tend to be very methodical when off-roading. I know my Jeep and for the most part what it's capabilities are and I drive it like a baby carriage and assess each obstacle to accomplish a couple of things. I have overbuilt my Jeep to be more capable than places I will put it so it will go the distance as far as longevity. I'm not one to push things so I can come back bragging about what I broke on the trail.

First rule, I try to view it where I keep the sides of the car placed away from protrusions to avoid body damage.

Second rule, I try to keep the car as level as possible, sometimes that means staying on top of rocks and other times it may mean going around, in between or half & half, all while keeping rule # 1 in mind.

Third rule is I don't use the skinny pedal. If I spin or slip I will simply grab a different line or reposition. I'm not one to "hammer down" or "send it".

Fourth rule is smooth and steady rather than on the brake, on the throttle, on the brake, the whole time jerking and jolting about. I try to keep things moving in a fluid manner and approach obstacles viewing them as a grid and have things planned out as I am progressing through an area.

Mike

lhracing

I tend to be very methodical when off-roading. I know my Jeep and for the most part what it's capabilities are and I drive it like a baby carriage and assess each obstacle to accomplish a couple of things. I have overbuilt my Jeep to be more capable than places I will put it so it will go the distance as far as longevity. I'm not one to push things so I can come back bragging about what I broke on the trail.

First rule, I try to view it where I keep the sides of the car placed away from protrusions to avoid body damage.

Second rule, I try to keep the car as level as possible, sometimes that means staying on top of rocks and other times it may mean going around, in between or half & half, all while keeping rule # 1 in mind.

Third rule is I don't use the skinny pedal. If I spin or slip I will simply grab a different line or reposition. I'm not one to "hammer down" or "send it".

Fourth rule is smooth and steady rather than on the brake, on the throttle, on the brake, the whole time jerking and jolting about. I try to keep things moving in a fluid manner and approach obstacles viewing them as a grid and have things planned out as I am progressing through an area.

Mike

I agree with this statement completely
"Fourth rule is smooth and steady rather than on the brake, on the throttle, on the brake, the whole time jerking and jolting about. I try to keep things moving in a fluid manner and approach obstacles viewing them as a grid and have things planned out as I am progressing through an area. "

I believe that everyone should first learn to drive offroad with a manual transmission. First rule is never touch the clutch unless you intend to stop, keep your left foot on the floor. Second rule be light on the skinny peddle, smooth and steady forward progress keeping the forward momentum going.

RockChucker

This. And not necessarily the most used line. I'm not afraid to try something different by pointing my nose in a different direction. Take Chewy for example. Many square up to the obstacle and bounce up it. A few years ago I found I could attack at more of a diagonal and clean the lower section with relative ease. Turns out the upper section is much easier on a 40, and since the rock section broke off. I don't get hung up on the diff anymore.
Over the last couple years I have worked to imagine what my rig is going to do and as such, end up doing most obstacles spotterless. Braille works pretty good most of the time. I approach driving the trail the same as an obstacle. Methodically and with purpose. And that doesn't matter if it is at speed or a crawl. Being in control is the key.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
This. And not necessarily the most used line. I'm not afraid to try something different by pointing my nose in a different direction. Take Chewy for example. Many square up to the obstacle and bounce up it. A few years ago I found I could attack at more of a diagonal and clean the lower section with relative ease. Turns out the upper section is much easier on a 40, and since the rock section broke off. I don't get hung up on the diff anymore.
Over the last couple years I have worked to imagine what my rig is going to do and as such, end up doing most obstacles spotterless. Braille works pretty good most of the time. I approach driving the trail the same as an obstacle. Methodically and with purpose. And that doesn't matter if it is at speed or a crawl. Being in control is the key.

I've never had a crawler, so I've never driven Chewy or even paid much attention to it. But I love attacking shelves like that at an angle. I come in oblique and then turn the tire into the shelf at the last second, it generally works very well for me.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have nothing to contribute line wise but audio of this clip gets me pretty stoked. Can't wait 😁