Pinion seal replacement

zukking01

Mark where the nut is in perspective with the pinion threads. I use a file to get an alignment groove in it. Then when you remove it count the turns it takes to get the nut off.

Pull the yoke off and replace the seal.

Put it all back together with the correct number of turns on the nut and finish with the grooves lining up.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Mark where the nut is in perspective with the pinion threads. I use a file to get an alignment groove in it. Then when you remove it count the turns it takes to get the nut off.

Pull the yoke off and replace the seal.

Put it all back together with the correct number of turns on the nut and finish with the grooves lining up.

No need to do that...the D60 uses shims for the pinion bearings, so you can just ram the nut on as tight as can be. :D

Best practice is to use a new nut, since it's a crimp-style locknut.

zukking01

No need to do that...the D60 uses shims for the pinion bearings, so you can just ram the nut on as tight as can be. :D

Good to know. the stated practice is good for crush sleeve but if it has a solid sleve then there would be no need.

zukking01

Thanks for the tips. Now I have one more project this weekend.

If the nut is anything like the one on my 14 bolt it was a pain to get off. I soaked it with wd40 over night and used a 2 foot breaker bar. Ended up needing pneumatic to pull it off. For what its worth.

reddman

Fabber

I've set up a few 60 gear sets that were crush sleeve, they were reverse spiral (high pinion) 4.88's from Randy's. They were the only ones I've ever seen, but there are a few sets floating around out there. I ended up making some precision ground spacers for them and set them up with shims. :greg: