Plastic molding??? Motorcycle tanks

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
OK, so I found a 5.5 gal tank for my bike...I'm super excited, only problem is the guy wants $950 :( I'd pay around $600-$650 right now for a tank that size, just don't know if I can justify nearly $1000.

:eek: From AU? Is that price adjusted for the exchange rate? My windscreen came from AU and the exchange rate came out so that my price was about 15% cheaper than the AU value.

That's a ton of $$$ for a bigger tank. Good to know that there is one available, any chance of finding another?

Caleb

:eek: From AU? Is that price adjusted for the exchange rate? My windscreen came from AU and the exchange rate came out so that my price was about 15% cheaper than the AU value.

That's a ton of $$$ for a bigger tank. Good to know that there is one available, any chance of finding another?
No, it's actually a Acerbis tank. Apparently they made them for a real short time, the tank is in California. The guy that has it knows everything there is to know about Huskies and knows exactly what he has. He refers to this tank as the Holy Grail of Husky parts :rofl:

I plan to hold off on this one and keep my eye open for a factory 4.5 gal Husky tank. From my understanding is if you find one you can usually pick it up for $250 or less. A lot of guys that buy them from AU end up getting them for ~$175 USD after the exchange rate and shipping. Now I'm not completely ruling this one out, but that's a little excessive. The longer he holds it, the more he asks. A year ago he was asking $650 for this tank.

Greg

Admin
No, it's actually a Acerbis tank. Apparently they made them for a real short time, the tank is in California. The guy that has it knows everything there is to know about Huskies and knows exactly what he has. He refers to this tank as the Holy Grail of Husky parts :rofl:

I plan to hold off on this one and keep my eye open for a factory 4.5 gal Husky tank. From my understanding is if you find one you can usually pick it up for $250 or less. A lot of guys that buy them from AU end up getting them for ~$175 USD after the exchange rate and shipping. Now I'm not completely ruling this one out, but that's a little excessive. The longer he holds it, the more he asks. A year ago he was asking $650 for this tank.

Wow... you'd think if it hasn't sold in that much time, he'd drop the price, not raise it. :ugh: The factory AU tank sounds like the best deal, provided you can get someone over there to pick one up for you.

The Safari tank on my bike was fairly expensive, I think they list for about $650. I didn't pay for it though, it was already on the bike. One of the many reasons I bought it. ;)

Caleb

OK, so I've been able to find the Husky part number for the larger tank. The dealer has confirmed it is available. So, $750 for the 4.5 gal Husky tank (brand new) or $950 for the Acerbis 5.5 gal tank (used). Do you guys think the extra gallon is worth the extra $200 for the Acerbis?

Greg

Admin
I think that's a decision you have to make. From what I read on your other thread on ADVRider, the Husky TE610 gets pretty good mileage, so the smaller tank may not be a hindrance compared to the larger tank.

If you are getting 50 MPG with that factory 4.5 gallon tank, you have a range of 200 miles with 1/2 gallon of reserve. That's a pretty good bit of riding. If you think you need 300 miles out of a tank, then you know what you need to do.

I could probably get by with a smaller tank, but I wanted the option of riding well over 300 miles w/o stopping for gas. I really like that I can go 400 miles without stopping for gas, but it's not necessary.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Not sure on molding, but is there no way to convert your tank and shrouds to the later model? http://www.clarkemfg.com/cart/index...ducts_id=307&zenid=4uas9qbeqj2j3qm1a86fqvih15 (wow that's a long link :eek:) Edit: It may be too small still for what you had in mind...

This is the route I would take. I have ridden several CR500's with these http://www.acerbistore.it/product.aspx?ID=83&C=112&L=2 and at first I thought it was the worst idea ever, but after a few long rides I really didn't notice it. It does take from the center of gravity, but they drain before the other tank so you only have to deal with it for a little while. With a steering damper it would be hardly noticeable imo. I would wipe out the rear fender mount tank really quick :ugh:

Good luck :)

Caleb

This is the route I would take. I have ridden several CR500's with these http://www.acerbistore.it/product.aspx?ID=83&C=112&L=2 and at first I thought it was the worst idea ever, but after a few long rides I really didn't notice it.

I thought about the number plate tanks, but my biggest issue is I loose my front headlight, or I have to fab up a custom mount for it. If I'm going to be fabbing up anything, it'll be mounts for a different model tank.

Anyways, I went ahead and order one of the factory option tanks. I went on another nice long ride this weekend (170 miles, ~75 miles off road, the rest on) and got a good solid 50mpg over the whole trip (some stretches were as high as 65 mpg :eek: ). With these numbers, I was pretty confident that 4.5 gals would be plenty, plus I still plan to always have my 1 gal jug on the back (my reserve) and on long trips I'll get a 2 gal jug putting my overall distance at 300+ miles. :)