PLEASE READ: Failed Login Notifications

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
For about a week or two now we have been getting hit hard by botnets trying to log into user's accounts here on RME.

The forum automatically locks out a user after 5 attempts for up to 15 minutes. If your password is at least 8 characters and not a common dictionary word, you should be OK and should have nothing to worry about. My guess is that they are trying to guess your password in order to post spam. They are testing all accounts seeing if you are using a common easy passwords like "12345" or "password"... because they only get 5 chances before a timeout.

If you get an email, feel free to forward it and I'll add the IP address to our blacklist. I have enabled some filters at our firewall but it obviously won't catch them all. We may also up the failed login timeout period temporarily. If you accidentally lock yourself out, let us know.

Thanks!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I looked at his profile, he was PM'ing someone else... :rolleyes: He's been banned... and anyone with the username 'Nickleback' should be banned just for using that name. :rofl:

Thanks Bret!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I looked at his profile, he was PM'ing someone else... :rolleyes: He's been banned... and anyone with the username 'Nickleback' should be banned just for using that name. :rofl:

Thanks Bret!

Got one from him today also, for some reason this is the first place I came to see if it was a spammer... :rofl:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm thinking his account was hacked, he has been on RME for quite awhile, no posts and is from Clinton, UT. The link is to AliExpress, Chinese junk.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
His password must have been really simple. His account was taken over by a spammer. I changed his PW and Email address for now, as well as deleted any PM's sent by him.

If you do get a PM from a spammer, please report it! :D

blznnp

No problem Greg, I did think his name was a little.....strange, but if he is a user and he sees this, sorry. Maybe its his favorite artist.