Pole Barn build - updates

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Looking to build a 30x40 shop in the backyard. Want a single front door, one man door. Want a two-post lift capable of working on my diesel dually (8000 lbs empty); looking at 10000lb rated lifts, require a 6 inch floor.

I've seen a couple of new ones built recently around us. Looking for recommendations.

I've emailed Barnwerx (out of Ogden) but no reply in over a week. I emailed Beehive buildings out of Layton today. Who else should I be looking at?

Thank you

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Current working on a 30 x 45 detached garage.

I am looking at a Red Iron/Metal building.

I have been looking pretty hard at the rotary lifts. https://rotarylift.com/ They list 4-1/4" concrete for their 10k# lift but I am pretty sure that is reinforced.

Contractor/builders are kind of hard to come by these days. They are busy.

Hah! Kindof following this thread since I'm toying with the idea of creating a motorhome shed somewhere. Then this used pole barn popped up in Erda. I have no interest - just saw it.

48 x 43 foot with metal roof and skylights - you remove $5400.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Got a couple of quotes back and prices seem high. I'm hearing that besides high prices for materials (including concrete) most companies have more work and are intentionally driving prices higher.

So far I have quotes from Tuff Shed (they also build garages) and Barnwerx.

I'm starting to wonder if I should wait until fall or winter to get under contract.

The Barnwerx quote includes a 6 inch slab, but not the apron to connect to my RV pad. While we are getting concrete done, we want to add a firepit in the backyard. Does anyone have recommendations for concrete work (I live in West Haven, near Ogden).

Thank you.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Material prices are super high right now. A good friend of mine is the store manager at the Salt Lake Sutherlands store. His cost on OSB has gone up by $8 a sheet in the last month and a half. He expects it could go up another 6-8 before the end of September. After talking to him, I am only going to finish my concrete this year and build the structure for my garage next year.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I have a good concrete guy that lives in Roy but I know he is buried right now. Later in the year I would guess would be better all around

have you thought about building it yourself? I have helped install a couple pole buildings that came from Parker buildings out of Oregon. Best pricing I have seen. Even with paying delivery

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I have a good concrete guy that lives in Roy but I know he is buried right now. Later in the year I would guess would be better all around

have you thought about building it yourself? I have helped install a couple pole buildings that came from Parker buildings out of Oregon. Best pricing I have seen. Even with paying delivery

Would love to build it myself but would need some help. My wife is not able to do construction work and I have a day job. My fear is that it would become a glacially slow job (like my neighbor's shed which is going on 3 months). I'll definitely look at Parker buildings to see what that looks like. Thank you for the mention.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Give Garrett Nichols a call @ 801-940-0047. He owns Beehive Buildings and does a lot of pole buildings.

He built my 50x60x16 stick built shop/RV garage back in 2017. He's very consciensous of the work his guys do and is very fairly priced. Quality is second to none. I did have to babysit the project a bit more than I thought I would but the end result was well worth it. His concrete, stucco and taping/painting subs did amazing work.

Tell him Mike Zuech gave you his name. He is located in Morgan but does a lot of work in the Ogden to Layton area.

I also have several videos on my YouTube channel showing the construction of the building. I believe there are two videos of the actual construction and then a Shop Tour video taken after all equipment and tools were in place and setup.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I know he started several crews going right after completing my shop.

With mine being footings/foundation and stick, brick and stucco construction the time as well as materials was quite a bit more than the pole buildings he's building but his crews seem to have them down and they are knocking them out rather quickly yet the quality seems to be a bit higher than others that I've seen.

Garrett is a great guy to deal with as well, even as anal as I was and probably not the easiest client.

Good luck in your build.

Mike

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Do you know if they do work in the SL valley? I’m trying to get quotes for a garage as well.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have been trying to get a building going too. Getting contractors is so hard right now.