Pole Barn build - updates

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Mine was a 100 amp in conduit, so I would not expect your material costs to be much more than 25% more. 90% of my conduit is above ground attached to the foundation of my house. Unless it is somebody you know who trusts you, I don't know how most electricians would feel about doing the connections on a line they did not run.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Make sure not to bury the rod or the cables. They made me dig mine back up so they could see. Good thing it wasnt deep

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Make sure not to bury the rod or the cables. They made me dig mine back up so they could see. Good thing it wasnt deep
I left them uncovered and took pictures. I am hoping to get the permit back this week and see if the inspector can come verify the work.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
They came back today to cut the reliefs in the fresh concrete. They left one junior guy. Early in the morning I gathered up 8 buckets and some 2x4s to mark off the footers for the lift. I took careful measurements after they were dug so I could properly locate them again.

Good thing I did, the concrete guy wanted to cut a relief through the middle of both footers. The lift manufacturers spec I found online state no cuts closer than 12 inches to the post base. After an extended discussion he decided to listen to me. Instead of cutting through the middle, we added one additional cut line and basically went around the two footers. As a consequence, the cut lines are not symmetrical.

Prior to pouring the concrete we added foam around the posts on that side of the shop to give additional expansion room. Those foam areas will be covered with a flexible Sika brand compound.

Hoping to get the electrical panel hooked up in early May.

The last thing to finish the contract work with Beehive is to install the mezzanine stairs and a pony wall along the loft.

Gawynz

The interior layout of your shop is very similar to mine, I'd make one recommendation... tear out the stairs/mezzanine immediately! I'll save you a lot of time packing "stuff" up and down that should have been thrown away years ago! :rofl:

In all seriousness it looks great, congrats.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
The shop turned out awesome. Glad to see you're done with it and can now move forward with setup and enjoying it.

When Garrett built mine it was exactly six months from breaking ground to writing the last check but mine was a full stick & brick building and therefore took a bit longer. But like you, we spent the money to do it right and make it our own as this is our forever home and won't be moving.

Once the shop was complete I think it took me nearly another year to get the inside set up the way I wanted it. Things like small hangers for the walls to hold things like welding hemets, air hoses, extension cords, etc. all took time to fabricate. In my last shop I did without a lot of things that I wanted such as axle holding fixtures and roll cart for tube roller but I took the time to fabricate those things and they've made working in the shop very enjoyable. Seems like in my last shop I was so focused on getting my business license and making money that I really didn't take the time to fulfill my wish list when it came to setting up the shop properly. I worked in that shop for 25+ years and although it worked there were things I wish I had done to make access to things easier and even some tools that I had wanted to fabricate. I wasn't going to make the same mistake this time and made sure to allow myself time to do all of those little things that I had always wanted.

I highly recommend you take the time during the setup as it will pay huge dividends when you are working in it year after year being able to walk right to something or use a piece of equipment that was properly set up.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Mike, we had been looking at Beehive, but your recommendation helped weigh extra in their direction. We started construction with Beehive the first week of Jan and finished the first of May. Took almost exactly 5 months, but we intentionally waited for warmer weather to pour the concrete. They did offer (but recommended against) an earlier pour.

Patience rather than diving in is difficult at this time, but like Mike pointed out, carefully thinking things out will pay long term.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Any opinions on the mezzanine/loft floor? Its built with 3/4" tongue and groove, but I'm thinking of putting something over it to protect it from water and fluids or anything else that might be up there in storage. Maybe peel and stick flooring?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Any opinions on the mezzanine/loft floor? Its built with 3/4" tongue and groove, but I'm thinking of putting something over it to protect it from water and fluids or anything else that might be up there in storage. Maybe peel and stick flooring?

There is a peel and stick connection style plank flooring for about $0.99sf at Home Depot (traffic master brand) that I’ve used many times. It vinyl plank, sticks together very well, but is still a floating floor.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Its starting to get colder outside and in the shop than I'd like to work in - does anyone have a recommendation for someone to install a heater? I'm looking at a 80,000 btu gas unit to hang from the roof truss. I already have a gas line and a dedicated circuit run to the spot, I just need a heater and someone to install it. I think the hardest part will be running the exhaust - I'm not a fan of walking on the metal roof at all.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Its starting to get colder outside and in the shop than I'd like to work in - does anyone have a recommendation for someone to install a heater? I'm looking at a 80,000 btu gas unit to hang from the roof truss. I already have a gas line and a dedicated circuit run to the spot, I just need a heater and someone to install it. I think the hardest part will be running the exhaust - I'm not a fan of walking on the metal roof at all.
My buddy Zak can help you out. 801. 497. 1288. Tell him Pedro sent you.