Pole Barn build - updates

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I have been trying to get a building going too. Getting contractors is so hard right now.
I’ve spoken to two of them on the phone that wanted to come quote me. They both said I’m looking at $55-60k which makes it even crazier that they won’t follow up with me and come take all that money.

The icing on the cake is one of the companies somehow got me confused with one of their employees and now texts me to tell me to reach out to new potential clients. I just laugh and ignore it, hoping the dude he’s supposed to be contacting is going to get in trouble 🤣

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
During my process of getting quotes, I went to a couple of the main builders here close to Ogden. As a courtesy, once I picked Beehive, I told the others I decided to go elsewhere with my business. One company called and asked why, then proceeded to give my number to the owner who then texted me.... I decided to not respond any more

I think future builds are slowing down. Not enough for prices to fall, but maybe they will call you back. BTW, Beehive has been the best at being accessible (call back and an office in Layton you can actually visit)

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
BTW, Beehive has been the best at being accessible (call back and an office in Layton you can actually visit)

I can attest to this. I haven't worked with his new supervisor at Beehive as Beehive wasn't a thing yet, but whenever I had a question when my shop was being built, if Garrett didn't answer the phone, he called back within a reasonable timeframe.

I just got off the phone with him this morning on another issue and he called back within about ten minutes of me leaving a message. Great guy to work with and really takes pride in what his companies offer. I also thinks he does a good job of looking ahead to try to keep costs down for not only his company but also to help control them for the client.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Mike your endorsement of them is appreciated and played a factor in selecting them. The other main competitor had recent build with really poor quality control; couldn't find that with Beehive

Awesome. Happy to have been able to provide helpful information.

You're right in my neck of the woods being in West Haven. I may have to come by and check it out when it's done. :D

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I get the lean to option, but does it save much money over just enclosing it? I've always thought I'd rather have my camper inside. Just curious.
Wasn't a cost issue, it was a space issue. Our yard is at the end of a culdesac and somewhat pie-shaped. If we had enclosed it, it would been too imposing on the house/backyard. So somewhat a compromise that still allows covered storage for the dually and camper. Actually can park the truck, camper and trailer loaded with a jeep under it

Last edited:

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Are there any electricians on board here? I will be ready to have a sub-panel run in late April timeframe once the concrete is done. I'd like to get someone to do the work ID'd soon.

Had a local electrical contractor bid running 145ft from the house service to the shop, underground and installing a panel. Quote was $6250...I had to double check it wasn't April 1st already.

Looking more like I'll be doing all the work. I am hoping to get the permit pulled today before I get started

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
running 1/0 copper wire for a 150 amp service. That is in conduit, not direct burial.

Since they'll be doing concrete in the next month, I am hoping to get the ground rod installed this weekend and have the wire stabbed and waiting for the panel.

Reactions: DAA