Votes: 104 46.0%
  • $20-$30, if it was professionally printed & bound

Votes: 95 42.0%

• Total voters

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Let's talk Tyng.

There is likely no other early American Fork Canyon figure more storied than George Tyng. His work and influence in the canyon while short, had long lasting impacts. In 1902, Georgy Tyng takes over lease of Miller Hill Mines from Aspinwall Company. These mines had proved their productive output but their high elevation location made them hard to work, particularly in the cold winters that plagued the canyon. On July 6, 1903, Tyng organized the Whirlwind Mining and Milling Company and worked the Wyoming Mine, located on the northern slop of Miller Hill. Just a year later (1904) he would be nearly out of money having found little profit in the mine. As legend has it, he had left for town to gather the funds for the final payroll. Just before leaving the mountain, his Forman asked for permission to do some final blasting in an adit they were working. Tyng returned to fine they had found rich galena. For the next 2 years he would lead a team of miners year round on the Miller Hill Claims and was generally considered a favorable boss and kind human. His luck would run out on January 19, 1906. While doing paperwork in his office, a small building attached to his cabin, an avalanche swept down the mountain, and he was killed instantly.

1710304547579.png

Before and after of Tyng's grave on Kalamazoo Flat, below Miller Hill
KW-tyng-1.JPG
KW-tyng-2.JPG

But if they brought him to town, why is he buried on Miller Hill?

Last edited: