• 3/4 ton 4.10 axles

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 1 ton 4.10 axles

Votes: 17 94.4%

• Total voters

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
No question - go with the 1 tons. If you're going through all that work, you might as well. Plus, the 3/4 ton front end is not even an upgrade from the 1/2 ton front end...not even a little bit.

If money is a reason for you NOT to go with one tons, just stick with whats in it now, and save up to do it the right way. Don't bother with the 3/4 ton stuff.

cheepin

What are your plans for it?What rig?What tire size?The only difference between the 1 ton and 3/4 tons is the front axle.Assuming of course the 3/4 ton set has the FF14 bolt.For a tow rig you would be fine with the 3/4 tons.For a wheeler it would be dependent on tire size.Anything smaller then 38"ers and the diffs will drag on everything.Especially on the 14B.You can shave the lip off it and gain around 1" of clearance.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
What are your plans for it?What rig?What tire size?The only difference between the 1 ton and 3/4 tons is the front axle.Assuming of course the 3/4 ton set has the FF14 bolt.For a tow rig you would be fine with the 3/4 tons.For a wheeler it would be dependent on tire size.Anything smaller then 38"ers and the diffs will drag on everything.Especially on the 14B.You can shave the lip off it and gain around 1" of clearance.

Money will be the deciding factor, if it isn't then there is no question on the one tons.

And my $.02.... don't settle for 4.10, Chevy and Dodge seems to be often found with 4.56 or even 4.88 for gearing, same money as one tons.

Wait, and do that... often cheaper to buy them with that gearing than to buy 4.10's and regear later.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
And my $.02.... don't settle for 4.10, Chevy and Dodge seems to be often found with 4.56 or even 4.88 for gearing, same money as one tons.

Wait, and do that... often cheaper to buy them with that gearing than to buy 4.10's and regear later.

Chev's are the only ones I've ever seen with anything lower than 4.10 stock, and they were always the military CUCV trucks. Never seen a civvy Chevy or any Dodge with lower gears...

Doesn't mean they don't exist though.:)

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Maybe its Dodge then, Lehi over on planet seems to be throwing up either GM or Dodge axles regularly, rarely with a 4.10, always 4.56 or 4.88... course I only half ass watch what I can't afford.....

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
1 tons are great but they are also very heavy but tuff. If you are running bigger than 35's on the chevy then 1 tons, because your already heavy and need all the strength you can get, but if you want to rock crawl i'd go with the ford 9 inch high pinion they rock hard core

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If you're not sure then you probably don't need the 60 :-\ An 8 lug front D44 will set you back 0-$250. I'd start there, save your money and upgrade if you need to later on.

I would swap in a 14bolt rear regardless of how hard you wheel ;)

cheepin

I've seen ONE Chevy farm truck with 4.56's. Truck looked stock, and they are listed as an option but.... Hen's tooth for sure. :D
Chevy offered the 4:56 gears in either the 1 tons or the 3/4 tons.I tried t get a late 70's 3/4ton that was factory 4:56 with a 4 speed Civvy.I have a 4:56 14FF out of a '82 1 ton crew Civvy.I also have a 10bolt 3/4ton front with factory 4:56's.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Ran into a bloke here driving a 69 3/4 ton with factory one ton running gear, his words not mine, claims locked on both ends from the factory,4.56 gears.. 350/400 said it was an insane climber.

Alnd he claimed to be second owner, and had all paperwork on it.

Nice looking rig.

The again on the other hand, after the 8 billionth person stopped me at a gas station on the way home from Texas with the Centurion and asked what I was driving, I started telling them that Ford called it a Clydesdale, it was an Excursion/Expedition prototype, and they only made 20. this is one of the last 5 known in existence, it was a family heirloom that I was restoring.

Talk is cheap, and he might not have had what he claimed to have.

cheepin

Considering they didn't put a D60 in any Chevy untill the mid 70's.His would have the HDD44front and Eaton rear.The only difference between the 3/4 tons and 1 tons in the 60's was the rating.