Porting a YJ steering box

No, I don't know how to do it, but I'm hoping YOU DO! Tell me where to drill my holes! I know I can just drill and tap the caps, but I have heard bad things about drilling the front cap as it is too thin and will break. Also, it's aluminum, so it's difficult to add thickness to it.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Yup. Some guy on POR posted pictures of where to drill the holes. I Bought a rebuild kit from AZ for 22 bucks, tore it apart, drilled and tapped it, and put it back together with new o-rings and bushings. Getting all those stupid ciculating balls back into the right place in the steering box is a pain (epecially after dropping them and searching the house for two hours looking for one of them)... Just gotta get some hoses made, and mount up the ram and see if it works!

Caleb

yeah that pic would be cool...I was gonna save it when I saw it on POR but never did and now I'm too lazy to go find it...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Will post a full update with pics when It's installed and working. I'm gonna try to get some hoses made up today.

Caleb

Originally posted by Jeremy
I was just wondering about this today, does this apply to a cj box too?

Not positive but I believe it should...I think they are pretty much the same thing...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Yup. CJs have Saginaw boxes just like Wranglers (and Chevys and AMCs, and GMs, and...). It should work on any of them. Oh yeah, mine worked great (though the 2 inch bore of the ram makes steering a bit slow)! I'll see if I can get some pics tomorrow.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Nope, your pump will work fine. I am going to modify my pupm to create a bit more pressure, and hopefully speed up the operation of my ram.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
pic
Yup, that's exactly where I ported my box. This guy is in a world of hurt, he already reassembled his box with new seals (you can see the new metal tabs on the top cap), but he has not yet tapped his newly drilled holes. So, he is either going to have to take his box all apart again to clean out all the shavings, or he'll be rebuilding it again soon.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by RockMonkey

he already reassembled his box with new seals (you can see the new metal tabs on the top cap), but he has not yet tapped his newly drilled holes. So, he is either going to have to take his box all apart again to clean out all the shavings, or he'll be rebuilding it again soon.
I was thinking the same thing.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just check Vatozones site and they list a couple different kits, you just gt the gear seal kit, right? My box has been leaking since the 80's...it's time baby. got to seal up Britney's box, right after I poke a few new holes in it.:D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I just check Vatozones site...

"Vatozone"? I haven't heard that one! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I have been calling it "Gatozone" for awhile now. After all, most of the time you go in there for something, they may as well be a discount mexican cat store. :D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO GO TO SLEEP NOW!!? Will the 1.5x8" ram that Rocklogic sells work for my application?
What front axle are you using? Just measure how far your tie rod moves, and that's how long the stroke of your ram needs to be. I have a 60 up front and used an 8 inch ram

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I just check Vatozones site and they list a couple different kits, you just gt the gear seal kit, right? My box has been leaking since the 80's...it's time baby. got to seal up Britney's box, right after I poke a few new holes in it.:D
They actually sell four different kits, but one of them they don't keep in stock. Buy the 22 dollar one and it should have all the seals nd o-rings you need.