Porting a YJ steering box

No, I don't know how to do it, but I'm hoping YOU DO! Tell me where to drill my holes! I know I can just drill and tap the caps, but I have heard bad things about drilling the front cap as it is too thin and will break. Also, it's aluminum, so it's difficult to add thickness to it.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Yeah, just took it for a test drive and snapped some pics. Stay tuned. What sites host pics for free?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Yup, the 1.5 inch ram will turn faster. Technically, it will also have less power, but it should still have more than enough. There are three modifications you can do to your pump to increase the pressure and speed. I only did one of them and am amazed at the difference. I think the two inch ram will end up being fast enough. Probably the only time I can turn the wheel faster than the ram will turn is at idle speed, it should be just as fast as me when I'm on the gas.

Caleb

Originally posted by Jeremy
linky no work. I got denied. You think the 1.5 ram will turn faster?

like Braden said, it will turn faster...most guys use a 1.5"x 8" ram for thier steering systems...what do they charge for just the ram??? maybe I should give them a call on monday...:p

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
More pics of ported Steering box that I found on the internet and modified to see easier... These are Saginaw:

Attachments

• hydro1.jpg
    hydro1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 65

Caleb

thanks...that will help...does anyone know off hand what size the dill and tap are...I need to do mine this week hopefully...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by supergper
thanks...that will help...does anyone know off hand what size the dill and tap are...I need to do mine this week hopefully...

Me too. I plan on running the Ram that RockLogic has, so I just plan on asking them when I call. :cool:

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
RockMonkey said:
Yup, the 1.5 inch ram will turn faster. Technically, it will also have less power, but it should still have more than enough. There are three modifications you can do to your pump to increase the pressure and speed. I only did one of them and am amazed at the difference. I think the two inch ram will end up being fast enough. Probably the only time I can turn the wheel faster than the ram will turn is at idle speed, it should be just as fast as me when I'm on the gas.

OK - you've been helpful with the porting stuff, do tell on the pump mods!

Looks great Braden.
Scott

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Hey Scott--it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure we already took care of modifying your pump. :)