General Tech Power Steering...the Hard Way

RockChucker

Let’s talk about steering. The initial concept for what I’m trying to execute came when speaking with Woodward steering about external servos back in 2014 or 2015. My brother and I had gone down the rabbit hole trying to understand how to make a better hydraulic assist. We learned about non-integral power steering and the wheels started turning. I’d already purchased a 1.75” (1.5” ID) single ended cylinder and was already on path to complete what I started. However, ever since I “finished” my Jeep about 5 years ago, I haven’t been super thrilled or in love with the hydro assist steering. This is due to a couple different things. Some due to constraints with the scout 2 steering gear and others due to poor component choices when assembling the steering gear. Here are the main ones though.

1. Steering quickener. 1.5:1 ratio to reduce the 4.25ish turn lock to lock box into roughly 2.75 turns lock to lock in practice on my Jeep. That steering speed took some getting used to. Manageable though.

2. Way too light of a torsion bar controlling the integral servo. This was just a bad choice made due to misunderstanding of the way the valve functions. Couple the light torsion bar with a fair amount of steering drag from the king pins and bronze bushings and things get quite twitchy when going around a wide sweeping bend. The light torsion bar was chosen to “maximize” flow through the control valve in the steering gear to eliminate the heavy feeling that hydro assist can have. This successfully made the steering twitchy for small inputs and didn’t eliminate the heavy feeling when steering faster than the control valve can supply fluid to the hydraulic cylinder and box.

Between the quickener’d steering and the light torsion bar, the Jeep was a manageable handful with practice. But I didn’t feel comfortable throwing the keys to say my wife and letting her cruise to the grocery store in it. Something had to be done.

I discovered John Rants thread on pirate about the way they built the steering system on their 4500 car. This was proof positive that non-integral power steering could be made to work. The light clicked on and I realized that this would be the answer to fix the things I didn’t like about hydro assist. Taking the power out of the steering gear reduced the volume of fluid needed to flow and be pressurized by the pump. And the ports in the external servo are massive. The ports in a Saginaw box are something piddly like 1/16”. Howe and PSC port them to 1/8”. But you can’t go any larger without ruining the valve. Both the sweet valve and Woodward valve have larger ports. But the Woodward is on a whole other level. The ports have to be close to 3/8”. Now we’re talking. Should be able to fully utilize the 4.5 gpm capabilities of the pump now.

My brother and I have been messing around with this system on his Jeep for a few years. Trying to work out the bugs. He started with a single ended Howe 2.25” cylinder. With the Woodward valve, the steering felt so good. Nice and tight like a sports car. Crisp. But there were some bugs. First the tie rod rolled over at steering center because he had to run offset tie rod ends to clear the diff cover. He managed that with some anti roll spacers under the tie rod ends. But ultimately he ended up breaking jam nuts loose and there was a slight dead spot in the middle. And there was the twitch. Something in the steering system caused drag of a shudder that the servo reacted very quickly to and behaved like an undamped system. As you turn the wheel one direction, the tires generally head that way, but will twitch back and forth as they move. More annoying that anything.

Fast forward to now. He has eradicated the tie rod roll by installing a double ended ram. And narrowed the twitch down to something in the input side of the box. With my Jeep down for a bigger motor, it’s a perfect time to update the steering too.

Here’s the plan.

Woodward valve. Currently has a .210 torsion bar. This may or may not change. Part of my brother’s twitching issues could be with needing to tune the torsion bar with something larger or smaller.
96DADD00-5320-4605-8B82-A0EA3AB7FD7A.jpeg
•PSC 2.5x8 double ended cylinder. Was planning on using a surplus center cylinder but by the time I paid tax and shipping, it was only about $30 more to buy the PSC cylinder from radial dynamics. He had no tax and cheap shipping. This gave me flexibility in designing a mount since the cylinder can be rotated in the clamps vs the surplus center cylinder having mounting feet welded onto the body. Worth the $30 for flexibility in my opinion.
9CA800E2-7D50-4070-AD71-982609BD7FFF.jpeg
•Scout 2 steering gear still. But with some changes. One goal of the revamp is to ditch the quickener. The steering is just too fast for most to handle. So I went on a quest to figure out how to make the scout box a quick ratio. Turns out the worm screw and rack/piston out of a YJ box fits the bill. Will take the scout 4.25 turn box to a 3.25 turn box. Win! With the amount of throw my Jeep uses, it should be just under 3 turns lock to lock. Only slightly faster than a stock TJ. Perfect.

The power is being taken out of the box as well. It is easy enough to take the power out of the box. Just don’t hook hydraulics up to it. But remember the torsion bar I mentioned earlier? Well if you don’t do something about that, the steering will have a little slop in it. Solution is to weld up the torsion bar/steering input subassembly. No more twist capable. Now it will act like a solid shaft.
7146C1C7-67A9-44E8-9402-FDC24F612183.jpeg
B4518F1F-4EBE-4823-8829-18A6506FBB0F.jpeg
60068D48-E935-4026-AC8F-C3B29BE0CCBA.jpeg
D6B34785-96D1-4FFB-84E7-8D96E25F6046.jpeg
9EF3813D-799D-4A5A-8C75-582F7886D854.jpeg
Have to modify the rack/piston to allow whatever lubrication medium I use to pass through it. I decided to cut the front cap off the piston allowing the lube to pass through the center around the recirculating balls.
0B6C49C5-F63E-47AC-9B05-4C0B95A7678E.jpeg
The big question with this manual conversion has always been what to lube the box with. Initially my brother just filled his up with power steering fluid. And it has leaked like a sieve. I came across a really cool site. Might have gotten it from Brennan Metcalf. As I was poking through it, found how manual recirculating ball steering gears are lined. Packed full of moly grease. Done. I can do that. Just need to drill and tap for a zerk and an exhaust port.

As of right now, the box has been manual converted and changed to a quick ratio. The cylinder mount has been designed and racked mostly together and on to the axle and the servo will live in the same place the quickener used to be. How convenient that they are almost the exact same length.
7BDF16DE-BCF0-44A5-94F0-D2E245487F27.jpeg
EC11C038-0A98-4A9C-BBD4-76F8F8CF8A2E.jpeg

To do list:

•Pick up a couple 7/8x3/4 heims and jam nuts for the tie rods
•Wait patiently for the tie rods to be machined
•Assemble tie rods.
•Drill and tap steering box for grease ingress/egress (might be able to use existing ports?)
•Design and build servo mount
•Cycle steering/suspension and check clearances. I already know I’m going to have to put a small 5° or so kick in the drag link. It ever so slightly contacts the cylinder clamp at full bump.
•Build hydraulic lines
•Fully weld out cylinder mount after clearances are verified.

Anywho. Thought there would be some here that would find this interesting. Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll do my best to answer. Updates to come...

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've been watching you post that Woodward valve for a while now and I couldn't wrap my head around the why of it. Now I get it. Looking forward to learning more. 😎

RockChucker

Guess I never posted a pic of the completed steering box. I ground down the casting and had it powder coated when I was building this a few years back. I think it turned out pretty good. Don’t mind the dirty frame...ugh. Don’t remind me. So much to clean up. 1E65BA8B-E948-4432-959B-250F349ED045.jpeg

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Unless you already have a source for lines, My buddy Everett just opened a new Pirtek location in Lehi. He recently built all my SS rear steer lines.

RockChucker

Unless you already have a source for lines, My buddy Everett just opened a new Pirtek location in Lehi. He recently built all my SS rear steer lines.
Good to know. In the past I’ve always used Evco (or whatever they are known as now). Not opposed to using someone else as long as they’ll let my buy fittings and hydraulic hose home to clock my fittings and mark them before crimping.

Pile of parts

I guess this where I should put in my plug since two of the others are mentioned.

You could always come to my work for hose and fittings (and all other things hydraulic and pneumatic) Motion and Flow Control Products. We're on about 3400 West and Directors Row. Yes, you can buy your stuff, take it home to clock it and bring it back to crimp.

Love the build! Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

By the way, there was a jeep on KSL that sure looks like yours???

RockChucker

I guess this where I should put in my plug since two of the others are mentioned.

You could always come to my work for hose and fittings (and all other things hydraulic and pneumatic) Motion and Flow Control Products. We're on about 3400 West and Directors Row. Yes, you can buy your stuff, take it home to clock it and bring it back to crimp.

Love the build! Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

By the way, there was a jeep on KSL that sure looks like yours???

Cool. I'll keep that in mind.

That was my brother's Jeep. He was attempting to sell his to raise capital to start a small business. He didn't get any offers that he was willing to take, so he ended up raising funds a different way. He still has it.

I noticed this too...

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Good to know. In the past I’ve always used Evco (or whatever they are known as now). Not opposed to using someone else as long as they’ll let my buy fittings and hydraulic hose home to clock my fittings and mark them before crimping.

Yep, no prob. Clocking/routing was a big deal on mine as well.

61BB0654-0187-4673-8006-C6B57C6C7B93.jpeg

Vonski

nothing to see here...
On a related note... when researching the Swepco 715 fluid, a common complaint is that the viscosity makes it prone to leak past AN fittings/threads, so some are using Teflon tape. None of mine leak, but thought it was good info to remember. 🤷‍♂️

RockChucker

Some minor updates for today. I corrected my pinion angle back to where it should have been. A couple years back I had to install a new upper control arm mount on the axle when I ripped the old one off. I added some geometry adjustability into it and was too lazy to lengthen the upper link to bring the pinion back up. Well I did that today and voila! All my clearance issues with the drag link and cylinder clamps were gone. Win! And I ran down to Pirtek in Lehi (thanks foe the reference @Vonski) to get some tall 90° -6 AN fittings to make sure hose routing will be good. Problems solved! Nothing like fitting 200 lbs of junk in a 5 lb box. Everything clears at full bump and full lock. Though if I’m ever in that scenario I likely have much bigger things to worry about.
75F6E4EA-1E70-4139-9060-3FC06A59E262.jpeg
4A1B0B17-B198-4953-81E5-F7D9102E4E22.jpeg
74CDE94B-01C1-475E-82B1-CE70AB369DB4.jpeg
042054D7-C7A1-407E-A410-BFFA1109A44A.jpeg

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Now have a hover valve. Time to design a mount for it.
Assuming that valve is a load-sensitive type, if the pump fails, you should retain at least some assist from the hyd. system. Of course in the event of a blown line/pressure loss, you still have manual steering, yes? I guess this is good time to ask if the steering box will also have fluid circulating through it. ??? 🤔

RockChucker

Assuming that valve is a load-sensitive type, if the pump fails, you should retain at least some assist from the hyd. system. Of course in the event of a blown line/pressure loss, you still have manual steering, yes? I guess this is good time to ask if the steering box will also have fluid circulating through it. ??? 🤔
This valve is a stand alone valve of the same type that is in every saginaw power steering box ever made...really any power steering box, rack, etc. So yes, load sensitive. The difference is, instead of little tiny ports like the valve built into a steering gear, these ports are massive. Some where between 5/16 and 3/8" diameter. The "competitor's" spool shown in the image below is the Sweet servo if I'm not mistaken.

1608340850212.png

And here is a plot for the valve response curves with valve port profiles. My valve is the "55". It has a .210" torsion bar in it. Depending on how it behaves, I may have to size the torsion bar up or down in diameter to tune the steering feel to my liking.

1608340980583.png

If you want to go deeper in depth, you can look at the Woodward catalog. My valve is the VA955. Tech on pages 3 and 4 of the catalog.
Woodward Catalog

In the event of a blown line or pump failure, I will still have manual steering control. There will be no hydraulic lines going to the box. I've deleted all the hydraulics and welded the saginaw torsion bar assembly solid. I've essentially built a fast ratio manual steering gear and will be packing it full of moly grease like they did back in the day. Came across this nifty site detailing old manual steering gears. Here's a link for those that care.

Old Steering Gear Tech