pressurized running water on your 4x4 (aka Steve's next mod)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
While searching for other videos, I happened upon this one:

[video=youtube;k5DBpzoKIMo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5DBpzoKIMo[/video]

Looks like a simple, elegant setup. Nice.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
That's pretty cool, Mainly the fact that the bumper holds 7 gallons lol...

What's the deal with water in tires?

sixstringsteve

That's sweet. I can see the expedition world latching on to that idea.

My shower has a pump on it, and my heater controls control the temp. I don't have nearly that much pressure though. Kurt (and many others) have had showers before me though, I'm just a copycat.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Lots of folks running Helton (and other) hot water heaters with mixing valves and plumbed systems. The E7 trucks I'm in Namibia with currently have on-demand water systems using a diesel powered hot water heater (and engine block system). Very common to see in Aussie and Southern African built rigs. Definitely worth looking into if you have vast water needs.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Whats a "hot water heater"? I have only seen "water heaters", that produce hot water.. :D why would you need to heat water that was already hot??

notajeep

Just me
I have hot and cold running water in my truck. I use a 1.8 gpm sureflow pump and an "on demand" water heater than runs on my on-board propane.

BroncoDave

I have hot and cold running water in my truck. I use a 1.8 gpm sureflow pump and an "on demand" water heater than runs on my on-board propane.
How about water cooled exhaust manifolds for a boat as an on demand water heater? It would save on propane and space. You could even put in flow control to control temp or an insulated storage tank and heat the water while you drive.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
How about water cooled exhaust manifolds for a boat as an on demand water heater? It would save on propane and space. You could even put in flow control to control temp or an insulated storage tank and heat the water while you drive.

Someone has to have done it out there on an auto? Could work really well.

I know many have tried wrapping fresh water copper tubing around their exhaust pipe with dismal results but there is so much heat lost by the time it get's far back on the exhaust and the thermal transfer isn't ideal between the two. However water in a cast manifold would absolutely rock and could really work nicely. Do those manifolds have any cracking issues when not cooled?

BroncoDave

Someone has to have done it out there on an auto? Could work really well.

I know many have tried wrapping fresh water copper tubing around their exhaust pipe with dismal results but there is so much heat lost by the time it get's far back on the exhaust and the thermal transfer isn't ideal between the two. However water in a cast manifold would absolutely rock and could really work nicely. Do those manifolds have any cracking issues when not cooled?
Not sure. I don't know anyone that's run their boat without at least hookin up a water hose to it. In a boat the water that runs through the exhaust also runs through the engine block and is pumped out of whatever body of water the boat is in. It wouldn't be too hard to plumb it to circulate when not being used for a shower. Ok, I spent most of my day researching this and i've come to the conclusion that it IS possible to do. It will be a little difficult, but that means I could do it right away(read my sig.). The water cooled manifolds dump the water into the exhaust stream to cool and quiet the exhaust. Sense we have no need to do this, that would be your source of hot water. I also found that if ran without a sorce of coolant the manifolds WILL crack or even MELT. I also found a site that makes the manifolds. The coolest part is they would look BAD-ASSSSS on an already cool rig. The company that makes them is Hi-Tek Marine and the site address is hitekmarine.com. Check em out. This isn't THREAD-JACKING, is it?

Last edited: