Primary or Back-Up(Oven)?

Mug

PHORmerly
Would any of you use this as your only source of baking for a multi-day? Seems slightly easier than the dutch oven process. No charcoal, no smoke, etc. They say it will work even on an overcast day.

Has anyone seen one work?

global_sun_oven_thumb.jpg

http://www.sunoven.com/

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
No, for my style of travel on a multi-day trip I just don't see it being feasible. I'm driving all day, in and out of the truck at different stops and we often don't know where we are going to camp that night let alone when. While it would be nice to bake on the trail a dutchoven is pretty quick and its rare we don't have a campfire. I guess it would be nice in fire-prohibited camping areas?

If you did a long base camp and were not in a hurry to cook it would be fun to try out.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Have you seen these? Pretty good price as well.... Only about 30 lbs...

http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/index.php?manufacturers_id=46&sort=4a&filter_id=1059

Outdoor Camp Oven 2 Burner Range and Stove

You've always wanted an oven when camping - Now you can with the Outdoor Camp Oven. Don't let its compact size fool you. The Outdoor Camp Oven features over 13,500 total BTU's, the twin burners and spacious oven have plenty of power to get your cooking/baking done right. This stove's folding lid is designed with portability in mind. This camp oven is loaded with features. It is just perfect for your cabin, summer camping, or RV. Pefect for muffins, cookies, casseroles, and Dutch oven dishes. In charge of girls camp this year? Simplify your life with the Outdoor Camp Oven.

coven.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I know someone that has one of those solar ovens, he bought it to use up at his hunting cabin. He just got it last time I talked to him and was showing it off and he claimed some pretty amazing things. I'd like to see it in action, sounded like it worked well.

That said, I'm not convinced that it's ideal for vehicular travel. In addition to the reasons Kurt mentioned, they are huge! It would take up a lot of space in a vehicle or trailer if you were hauling it around everywhere.

Mug

PHORmerly
Did you see that the reflectors fold flat against it? Looks to be around the same volume or less than the campchef.

081009%20larue%20at%20JV%20with%20bread.jpg

Or you could get the tow model!

081009%20Villager%20oven%20photo.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Did you see that the reflectors fold flat against it? Looks to be around the same volume or less than the campchef.

Yep, I looked at one as it came out of the box. I thought it was pretty large. Have you seen one in person?

I'm happy with my Camp Chef and a small propane bottle. The Camp Chef breaks down to the size of a bowling ball bag and the small propane tank is very packable.

**Edit** Looks like the sun oven is 19x19x11. Not massive, but that's still a good deal of space inside an already cramped interior.