Printing

scramble this

Umm.. Where am I?
So I am relatively new to the concealed carry world (bout a year), and I hear lots of people talk about printing. I understand that it is making you gun visible under clothing (imprint of the gun), but my question is, why is it such a big concern? Does it make it "not concealed" by law or something? I understand you dont want to give away the fact that you are carrying in order to not make yourself a target or to make people panic, but is that the only concern? Is there any real damage done by leaning over and someone seeing there is "something" there? My experience shows most people dont even notice, let alone assume its a gun, and the ones that do seem to be fellow permit holders. Just wonderin...

pELYgroso

'Merica
The instructor at my class was really thorough with his program, and he talked about the fact that while carrying, you'll obviously need to wear baggier shirts, etc so that your gun isn't hanging out of your pants for the whole world to see, but not much emphasis was put on it being illegal if it can be seen at all. I could be wrong, but i don't see how it would be illegal for the gun to possibly be seen under your shirt or whatever when it is perfectly legal to carry a sidearm, unloaded, here in utah that is holstered and in plain sight of everybody. anybody know the exact law?

Mug

PHORmerly
If you took your class more than a few months ago, the law about seeing the outline of the gun wasn't passed yet. As far as comparing to open carrying, you have to either fully conceal OR fully open carry your weapon. I see what your saying, and I don't know exactly why it's the way it is.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
beyond any law that's out there, it's just good sense to make sure no one can see it. Why would you advertise the fact that you're carrying by letting your gun show? Plus, people get nervous when guns are around, and do things like... call the cops. No one wants that. ;)

Mug

PHORmerly
You can't take a gun, and just cause it's "unloaded" (two actions ...), carry it in your waistband. That's carrying concealed, and you need a permit to do that. I know you are talking about open carry, but Bryson, I believe, was referring to the fact that you can't decide you are going to carry concealed, but then be careless about showing part of it or even the outline of it through your clothes. So..."To be legal, NOBODY can see it. Not even an imprint through your clothes." is a correct statement.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
So I am relatively new to the concealed carry world (bout a year), and I hear lots of people talk about printing. I understand that it is making you gun visible under clothing (imprint of the gun), but my question is, why is it such a big concern? Does it make it "not concealed" by law or something? I understand you dont want to give away the fact that you are carrying in order to not make yourself a target or to make people panic, but is that the only concern? Is there any real damage done by leaning over and someone seeing there is "something" there? My experience shows most people dont even notice, let alone assume its a gun, and the ones that do seem to be fellow permit holders. Just wonderin...

I would'nt worry much about it. I think you notice it printing cause you know it's there. I'm sure no one else knows. (unless your wearing a super tight shirt)

Drew_XJ

Jeep is a 4 letter word
You can't take a gun, and just cause it's "unloaded" (two actions ...), carry it in your waistband. That's carrying concealed, and you need a permit to do that. I know you are talking about open carry, but Bryson, I believe, was referring to the fact that you can't decide you are going to carry concealed, but then be careless about showing part of it or even the outline of it through your clothes. So..."To be legal, NOBODY can see it. Not even an imprint through your clothes." is a correct statement.

With a permit you can openly carry a firearm with a round in the chamber it can be partially concealed fully concealed or full open WITH A PERMIT! You can carry it in you waistband without a permit as long as its "Utah unloaded" and the gun is never covered by a shirt or jacket. Again I am not a lawyer.I think this question would be better suited for the forum I mentioned in my earlier post, there are a few lawyers and very wise people on there when it comes to gun laws.

Mug

PHORmerly
You can carry it in you waistband without a permit as long as its "Utah unloaded" and the gun is never covered by a shirt or jacket.

Careful, my friend...

Excerpts from: http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/section.jsp?code=76-10

(1) Except as provided in Section 76-10-503 and in Subsections (2), (3), and (4), a person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon, as defined in Section 76-10-501(see below), including an unloaded firearm on his or her person or one that is readily accessible for immediate use which is not securely encased, as defined in this part, in or on a place other than the person's residence, property, a vehicle in the person's lawful possession, or a vehicle, with the consent of the individual who is lawfully in possession of the vehicle, or business under the person's control is guilty of a class B misdemeanor.
(2) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner {Ed: Like in your waistband}that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.{Ed: Like in your waistband}
(b) A dangerous weapon shall not be considered a concealed dangerous weapon if it is a firearm which is unloaded and is securely encased.{Ed: Like NOT in your waistband}

It's not CRYSTAL clear, but I wouldn't want to find out in court. I'm not a lawyer either, but I do enjoy the topic.;)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I don't think printing is as big a deal as most make of it. I've only been carrying for a couple months and I am still surprised people don't notice this weird bulge under my shirt.

The link posted earlier is a vital one for those with or without a concealed permit. My instructor gave me some misinformation that was corrected with the help of the fine people on that forum.