Progression from CT90 upwards?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Since I got our Honda 90 running a few weeks ago my 5 year old has wanted to go for rides every day which I've been happy to do. It'll easily do 25 and I've gotten it up to 40 riding solo but the suspension is shot and it drives pretty loose. I'm not going to get rid of it but I'm wondering what the natural progression is as an upgrade.

I've been noodling around KSL for Honda CB's and CL's and there isn't a ton out there. Right now I see a 175 and a 350 for around 2,000. There is a yamaha rd250 that looks decent but isn't running, as well as a sr400 thats is a lot newer and looks nice. It seems like prices for these older bikes are pretty high for their age and condition. I REALLY like the styling of the Triumph Bonneville and know there are bunches of bikes that look similar (Yamaha SCR950, BMW Nine T, Kawasaki W800) and any of the scramblers. I'm looking to do more of the same though (taking the kid for little rides around the neighborhood and general area) and can't help but think getting anything over a 350 is overkill. For the money though its not much more to get EFI and less than 10 years old over the 70's and 80's small engine bikes. If I did get a big boy bike I'd probably drive it to work though and wouldn't want to spend more than 4k.

Is there something else out there that I'm not seeing on KSL or that I'm just not aware of that would fit the bill? Should I been looking for dirt bikes instead of street bikes? What about the Chinese Tao Taos or Apollos? Are they worth looking into?

This was on wednesday, we rode from our house at 6400 west up the canal all the way to the magna cemetary. (With a bigger bike would also come real helmets for both me and the little guy.)
IMG_20200617_161215.jpg

rholbrook

Why don't you find your son a little 50 and the two of you can go. SSR makes a nice little 50. They are less than $1K new. There are a lot of inexpensive cheap 50s out there if thats what you want to do. I had a hard time finding a new Yamaha TTR50 but I found one a few weeks ago.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I hadn't considered that because he can't even ride a bike. I've tried everything I can think of but he doesn't have interest. We ran out of gas the other day and had to walk/coast a ways home. Luckily we were uphill from the house but while we were coasting he asked how we were moving. I was trying to explain to him that what he needs to do on his coaster bike. Then I asked if he wanted to try it on his bike when we got home, he didn't, no interest at all.

rholbrook

I hadn't considered that because he can't even ride a bike. I've tried everything I can think of but he doesn't have interest. We ran out of gas the other day and had to walk/coast a ways home. Luckily we were uphill from the house but while we were coasting he asked how we were moving. I was trying to explain to him that what he needs to do on his coaster bike. Then I asked if he wanted to try it on his bike when we got home, he didn't, no interest at all.
They make training wheels. My grandson loves his and we have training wheels on his. I know I know, bad grandpa but the love to ride is growing. I'll deal with the training wheels soon.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I bought a set for his "regular bike" but found that it's got 10" tires so with them on the tire was off the ground. I tried to out them on the coaster bike but they wouldn't work despite having the right size tire. We tried to find something else for the 10" tire bike but everything has been sold out or unavailable.

I know it's just excuses but I have tried.

Wait, were to saying there are training wheels for the motorcycle? That'd be slick.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I had looked at the tw200s and there wasn't much out there used. The last few days a few have popped up though including one tonight for 1600 up in cache county. I think these would really fit the bill for what I'd want to do whole also keeping momma from getting anxious.

I'm not ready to buy one right this minute but I'll have to keep watching ksl for these.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
A few of us neighbors did a little wild hogs ride last night and my buddy really wanted to ride my 90 so I hopped on his Apollo 125 and rode it for a bit. This is probably a stupid question but are dirt bike seats just not soft at all? If that is the case then that really helps my decision because for how I want to ride I need some cushion.

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
It'll easily do 25 and I've gotten it up to 40 riding solo......
Super stupid question! Are you sure it's not in low range?

Dad had one back in the day. I don't remember it having a top speed of 40. I do remember it had a 2 speed transfer case. Damn thing would climb anything!!!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Yeah its got the hi and lo. It is and has been in high. I'm sure the speed limit has more to do with my size than anything else. I did get it a little over 40 the other day but I'm not looking to set any land speed records.

Tonkaman

A few of us neighbors did a little wild hogs ride last night and my buddy really wanted to ride my 90 so I hopped on his Apollo 125 and rode it for a bit. This is probably a stupid question but are dirt bike seats just not soft at all? If that is the case then that really helps my decision because for how I want to ride I need some cushion.

Yes all dirt bikes have hard seats, it’s not really meant to be sat on

I’m not very clear on your goals from a new bike. I think you want a bit of everything, but most bikes only fit a narrow set of goals.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I think a Yamaha TW200 or XT250 would be a blast and do everything you want. The XT has a higher top speed and is a taller bike. It is also available with fuel injection.

I know VERY little about bikes but those have always kinda been on my radar.

Screenshot_20200623-044053_KSL Classifieds.jpg

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I’m not very clear on your goals from a new bike. I think you want a bit of everything, but most bikes only fit a narrow set of goals.

You're right in that I'm being pretty wishy-washy about what I'm wanting out of a bike. I think I was hoping I could just find a bigger version of basically what I already have. Bigger physical size as well as motor size, and newer in that it'd be in better overall shape and maybe something I'd not worry about getting out a little further from home on.

I think that bike is a scrambler. Apparently a guy ran one of these in the Mexican 1000 and did pretty well.

Scrambler1200XE_191.jpg

I see two issues with the bike in the picture above, the first is that it costs $14,000 and the second is that its got a 1200 cc engine. Understandably my wife isn't super keen on me getting a big bike. I learned on a Suzuki SV650S from 2003 or 2004 and ended up doing police motors and rode a big harley for a couple years with that. I can handle a big bike and now that I'm 36 and basically have two kids (second is coming this saturday) I have grown up enough that I wouldn't be stupid on one but I know it'd relieve the wifes anxiety if I had a lower output machine.

I see myself riding this around town with the kid rather than trailer-ing it up to the Uintas or somewhere else while camping to explore. Perhaps I'd drive it to work but I'd stick to surface streets rather than the freeway. It seems like there isn't a new scrambler that is in the 350 cc to 500 cc range at least that I've found. For my use a street version I think would work fine too. There was a CL350 and a CL450 which is a "dual sport" version of the Honda CB and was being made the same time as my CT90. There is a 350 on ksl right now... its in the price range I'd be comfortable with (2-4k) but again, its old.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
...I have grown up enough that I wouldn't be stupid on one but I know it'd relieve the wifes anxiety if I had a lower output machine....

I don't ride any longer but ESPECIALLY on freeways/streets etc, I think of power as an asset you can use in your arsenal to avoid accidents. Sometimes power and a little steering input are mucho better than trying brake out of a situation. I would think on a motorcycle under our traffic conditions in SLC I'd want strong power as well as strong braking? My wife won't drive something without some power after having a few things with it. It just gives you more options for avoiding situations that could escalate quickly.

Tonkaman

I don't ride any longer but ESPECIALLY on freeways/streets etc, I think of power as an asset you can use in your arsenal to avoid accidents. Sometimes power and a little steering input are mucho better than trying brake out of a situation. I would think on a motorcycle under our traffic conditions in SLC I'd want strong power as well as strong braking? My wife won't drive something without some power after having a few things with it. It just gives you more options for avoiding situations that could escalate quickly.

100% AGREE!

I actually argue that sport bikes are the safest bikes on the road simply because they are built to be agile. I’m not advocating you get a sport bike, but don’t forget the advantages of a big bike.

I really like the idea of the scrambler! Now I’ve got a better picture of your goals. Why not just look for an old bike modified into a cafe racer?