Project 40

JeeperG

Nah, at some point in the trucks life the cab corners rotted out, then I'm guessing probably 70s or 80s someone filled the holes in with gobs of fiberglass, then bondo over the glass, not really a rats nest, also just some dirt and debris that had fallen in there from inside the cab.

Here's a chunk in my hand.

IMG_20200703_150148.jpg

IMG_20200703_152803.jpg

JeeperG

Some other stuff I been working on is where are all the goodies going? I will keep the firewall as clean as possible from the outside, I drilled a couple holes for the heater hoses, outside of that it'll be column, throttle cable, bulkhead for the sniper wiring, etc. And the dual master cylinders bolted to the driver side. I think that's about it. We will mount a bunch of stuff up under the dash with custom mounts and hide it all.

Good spot for the ignition control module and you can see my heater hose holes, the mounting bolts for the heater will be cut off the unit which is small, 7" X 7 1/2". Will be coil, 21 circuit wiring harness and I'm sure more things stuffed inside, I think we are going to attempt battery box in the rear of the front passenger fender.
IMG_20200703_130049.jpg

JeeperG

Pulled out the stud welder today and got some of them patch panels a little more flush, still have some oil canning going on. I think we will focus away from those for now and work on drilling any more holes in cab and see what method we want to use to get rid of the paint and bondo before finishing up the body work stuff.
IMG_20200718_155839.jpg

Mouse

I'm no body guy or sheetmetal expert, but a fella showed me once that applying heat with a rose bud would shrink metal and stop oil canning. Not sure of all the finesse used to make it work properly, but the piece I watched tightened up quite a bit and almost stopped flexing altogether.

JeeperG

I'm no body guy or sheetmetal expert, but a fella showed me once that applying heat with a rose bud would shrink metal and stop oil canning. Not sure of all the finesse used to make it work properly, but the piece I watched tightened up quite a bit and almost stopped flexing altogether.
Correct, we where also doing this with the stud welder and no stud and then cool it with a damp rag, we still need to remove all the paint and bondo on the whole thing so we aren't just chasing it around and let the whole cab relax.

Last edited:

JeeperG

Not too much to show in way of pictures but much has been accomplished as far as goodie mounting and brainstorming ideas. The original mounting bolts for the heater got cut off and a couple mounting brackets welded on instead so we can weld bolts on the inside of the firewall to mount instead of drilling holes and mounting that way. Ignition control, coil, wiring harness and gas pedal will all be mounted similar. Took dad's spare passenger front coupe fenders up so we can section some pieces off one of those to more easily repair my truck fender. Also looking into possible mobile dustless blasting places, I'll call around and see what they charge next week or so and start ordering more cab stuff that will need holes drilled such as dual wipers and a lokar floor mount parking brake setup.
IMG_20200725_165354.jpg

JeeperG

Fwiw, the quote to blast my truck minus the bed and rear fenders was over 1k with no exact number since all vehicles are different, square footage, type of material used and how much material used. I think it's reasonable and would be super nice to do but I know I could save a lot of funds using sweat equity, I even told my bro he didnt have to help me one bit, in the end I think I would enjoy the satisfaction. I'm still calling this a budget build damnit. 😄.

Got half those brackets for items on the firewall made already, nothing's in place yet, some other plans are changing inside the cab, it's gonna look killer, can't wait.

Here are how the cabs where stamped from Ford.
(From that Howard Towne book I have)
IMG_20200731_174536.jpg

Here's how to tell if you have a 40-41 cab or a 42-47 cab.

IMG_20200731_175502.jpg