Project 40

JeeperG

I've been totally slacking on this lately. I did get out this weekend and tried to start putting fenders and stuff in place so I can get some measurements for wheels and tires. I still need to get some inner front fenders to get those mounted. Also still rebuilding those seat brackets, focused on getting that driver seat in first so I can then figure out where the steering column, shifter and pedals will go.

IMG_20170714_184349.jpg

IMG_20170722_183055.jpg

IMG_20170722_175828.jpg

IMG_20170722_150208.jpg

Definitely need to get more motivated. :D

JeeperG

Not too much to post in way of updates, driver seat is solidly mounted so I can sit and slide etc, I want to change a few things on the mounting. Working on the steering stuff now while brainstorming ideas for the shifter to floor mounting.

IMG_20171006_200849.jpg

JeeperG

A little update, we messed up when building the chassis by not ever mounting the rack and pinion, well that ended up being a problem.

That's pretty close to the harmonic balancer

IMG_20171126_133120.jpg

Input shaft is running right into the motor mount

IMG_20171129_135726.jpg

I don't have a welder here so had to wait for some help, we ended up cutting the mounting brackets for the rack and pinion and rotating it.

IMG_20171222_133858.jpg

Now I can clear the motor mount, also debating switching to a 7" harmonic balancer just to give me more clearance and waiting for a bracket to be made so we can weld that to the frame to support the heim joint that the steering shaft will run through. Then I will go over the whole frame and make sure we are done welding anything and get it ready for powder coating.

JeeperG

Guess I haven't updated for a minute, the joints on the steering where still too extreme so we decided to rotate the rack and pinion even more by notching the cross member so the pinion housing could set inside the notch allowing me to get a better angle with the joints, instead of redesigning the header and motor mount. Just need to fab up some new heim brackets to weld to the frame. I think I have decided to paint the frame myself as I could use the experience. IMG_20180812_141121.jpg

IMG_20180811_140827.jpg

Also started working on the center console build. IMG_20180818_212414.jpg

JeeperG

Okay, I think we got the steering issue all worked out, probably add a little more support and welds, get everything adjusted properly then hopefully i can start thinking about prepping the chassis for paint. IMG_20180901_194943.jpg

IMG_20180901_221647.jpg

JeeperG

I know I take forever and money is limited but I have made some forward progress.

Good friend of mine let me borrow his paint booth to learn how to paint.

First thing I have ever painted, not perfect but good enough for a frame.

Started some assembly today.

Also got this spendy little guy.

JeeperG

I could of spent a bunch more time smoothing out the housing where we narrowed it before painting but meh, I honestly don't care. At any rate, I hope to mask off the rear tomorrow and clear the skull so it don't rust so I can toss that on. 119211

JeeperG

Been slacking on my truck build but I am still collecting parts. I did inadvertently end up spending some time today with two family members who have lent a great deal of mentoring, time and assistance in the build of this thing.

My cousins 1940 ford coupe deluxe with a Hemi and my uncles 1954 Studebaker truck (daily driver)

IMG_20190720_174423.jpg

JeeperG

If this isn't more motivation for me to get my truck done, I dunno what is? Some of my family and I got together for a car show yesterday taking 5 cars and 3 trucks, probably the most of us together in one place with some of the family history and the love for the automobile, some of the family is working on the third generation and hopefully they keep the "sickness" going.

I got to roll in with my dads old 59 apache fleetside. Those two 40 fords alone have been in the family for 58 years and my reason for wanting to do a 40 ford, the yellow one was my dads.
IMG_1760.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG