Project Built for Towing

Does anyone want to see a project like this?

• Total voters

LT.

how big is the spacer?

The spacer is only 1/4". I could get away with just using the 1/4" spacer if I was using the stock wheels. However, I just measured the new wheels and the mounting flange is 1/2" and the stock wheel is 3/16" and the lug nut needs about 13/16" for full thread engagement. So, now it looks like I will be buying a wheel adapter to run between the dual wheels because the stock studs are between 1 1/2 to 1 3/4". With only 1 1/2" threaded. I either need a 1 1/2 adapter and the 1/4" spacer or I need to buy a 2" adapter to run between the duals. I will know more when I drop the truck off tomorrow and double check the fitment issues.

LT.

LT.

Okay, new wheels and new tires are on with new lug nuts. I was able to get away with just using the 1/4" spacer after all. I have full thread engagement on the factory studs with the new lug nuts. Cool thing is that the truck looks like a factory truck with the max tow package. Which is what i wanted. The tires have about 1/4 to 3/8" gap between the rear duals at the bottom and a good 1/2 to 5/8" all the way around. I cannot post pictures for some reason. I will see if my brother can post up some for y'all.

LT.

LT.

Thank you ChestonScout!

I just finished my 100 mile test loop tp see what the mileage was. I also had to re-program the speedometer for the slightly larger tires. It looks like the larger tires lowered my rpm's at 65 mph by about 50 to 65 rpm's. The test loop garnered me 19.5 mpg. This still represents about the best mileage the truck can achieve. Speeds were between 50 to 65 mph. Of course interstate speeds will only lower the mileage.

My one complaint about the tires is they squirm a bit under the weight of the truck. It is a bit of an uneasy feeling at first until you get used to it. I think that is because of a few things. First there is more side wall to deflect, and second the tread lugs are deeper and there is more void between them. Other than the squirming and the loss in mileage they are great tires. Thus far i would recommend them to others.

LT.

Last edited:

LT.

On tuesday the family and I went for an extended road trip. We left our home in Northern New Mexico and drove about 600 miles to Avondale, Arizona. The mileage was pretty miserable. Vicious head winds the whole way and I only averaged 16.3 mpg. The bed was full but, no towing. I am hopeful the milege will be considerably better on the way home. I will report back with the mileage at that time.

LT.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
While I have not seen the mileage gains you have by doing the delete and programer, the improvements in pulling power are more than worth it.

LT.

While I have not seen the mileage gains you have by doing the delete and programer, the improvements in pulling power are more than worth it.

They were worth it. I am just always wanting more. I knew the new tires were going to cost me in mileage and I was hoping the wheels would help off set some of the loss.

LT.

LT.

Today project BFT got spoiled. Two days ago she got vacumed out, interior wiped down, tires cleaned, and exterior all waxed. Today, she got clay bared, waxed again, windows cleaned, and wheels polished. Rosie looks better today than when she was brand new. I will take a few pictures.

LT.

LT.

In the last couple of days Rosie has been in some snow and ice. The new tires are. So much better in the snow than I imagined. Just goes to show how miserable the stock tires were. No real deep snow just a couple of inches was all but, that is all we have gotten lately. No need thus far for 4wd.

LT.

This coming up weekend Rosie will be hauling my small flat bed trailer to Clinton, Utah from my home in New Mexico. I will hand figure the mileage on the way up. For the trip back home I will be hauling Christine and all of her parts back home. Should be around 11,000 lbs total pulling. I will hand figure those numbers as well and report how the whole trip goes after returning home.

LT.

blznnp

what are you planning on setting the cruise control at? I'll be interested to see what you get. I haven't had much of a chance to check the mpg on my truck since I haven't taken it on any long trips loaded or unloaded. I forgot to record it when we moved from WA to UT.

LT.

what are you planning on setting the cruise control at? I'll be interested to see what you get. I haven't had much of a chance to check the mpg on my truck since I haven't taken it on any long trips loaded or unloaded. I forgot to record it when we moved from WA to UT.

Well, the cruise control will be set at the posted speed limit and no more than that. However, for the majority of the trip the speed limit is between 70 mph on Highway 550 here in New Mexico, and 65 mph for the rest of New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah. I generally do not go over the posted speed limit. The added time made up is lost in a loss of fuel economy and more frequent stops for fuel.

On the way up towing 2500 lbs and driving over the Continental Divide I am expecting 14-15 mpg. Hauling the 11,000 lbs back on the same roads I am hoping for 10-12 mpg.

LT.

LT.

I just added a headache rack to Rosie this last week. Nothing too special but, needed something so I could help my Dad out. A while ago my grandparents passed away. Nothing horrible or anything just old age. Long story short the state of Iowa gets the house and the family gets all the belongings. I headed out last Friday and came home yesterday. Horrible storms all through Kansas and into Springer, New Mexico. I did score a fridge and hauled it home. Bad mileage out and back due to windy conditions all the way.

LT.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Have you done any research on water/methenol injection kits? My toy hauler loaded runs around 18k pounds an my biggest challenge is keeping the EGT's down when climbing. This is one kit I have looked at.

Last edited:

LT.

Sorry to hear about the grandparents. Pics needed on the headache rack.

We lost our camera so all I have is cell phone pictures. And because I am technologically stupid I do not know how to get them from my gallery to the post. I will send some to Cheston and ask him to load them for me when he gets a moment.

Grandparents had good long lives. I am nearly 40 and not many folks still have grandparents at this age.

Have you done any research on water/methenol injection kits? My toy hauler loaded runs around 18k pounds an my biggest challenge is keeping the EGT's down when climbing. This is one kit I have looked at.
I have checked out a few. Mostly from Snow Performance. The EGT's are not my biggest issue at this time. My biggest issue is running out of lungs and a tranny that probably wont last long. Bigger lungs via second turbo would help a few things. Lower EGT's, better mileage, and more power. Tranny is still nearly stock though. A better tranny, and torque converter will be needed soon. I am also looking at a free spin kit for the front axle.

LT.