Project Built for Towing

Does anyone want to see a project like this?

• Total voters

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have checked out a few. Mostly from Snow Performance. The EGT's are not my biggest issue at this time. My biggest issue is running out of lungs and a tranny that probably wont last long. Bigger lungs via second turbo would help a few things. Lower EGT's, better mileage, and more power. Tranny is still nearly stock though. A better tranny, and torque converter will be needed soon. I am also looking at a free spin kit for the front axle.

LT.

How many miles do you have on your transmission? My tranny is starting to have an abrupt downshift between 5th & 4th when it is in tow/haul and under load. It is also giving a high pitched squeal. Associated with this I am also getting a low line pressure code. When it comes time to replace my transmission, I am going to go with ATS.

LT.

How many miles do you have on your transmission? My tranny is starting to have an abrupt downshift between 5th & 4th when it is in tow/haul and under load. It is also giving a high pitched squeal. Associated with this I am also getting a low line pressure code. When it comes time to replace my transmission, I am going to go with ATS.

44,000 and some change on the stock transmission. Shifting is still smooth but, when I turn up my fuel all the way I can make my tranny slip. I am currently looking between ATS and Suncoast.

LT.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I just clicked over 70k on my '11. I'll have to do some research on Suncoast. I have a friend who has built a 6.7 for the drag strip and he highly recommended the ATS.

LT.

I just clicked over 70k on my '11. I'll have to do some research on Suncoast. I have a friend who has built a 6.7 for the drag strip and he highly recommended the ATS.

I believe ATS Diesel got their start building automatic transmissions. For some reason I thought ATS was for Automatic Transmission Service. Industrial Injection is a Diesel performance shop in Salt Lake City area and they carry Suncoast transmissions. A while ago I drug my brother with me and took a tour of Industrial Injection and their facilities. Super nice folks who were more than willing to show off their shop and their products to both of us. Some time ago I contacted ATS Diesel about taking a shop tour as well and was invited to do so. Time just has not allowed me to take that tour yet. I have no parts on my rig from either shop but, since I am in Utah more frequently I will end up at Industrial Injection for my tranny.

At any rate I have heard good and bad from both shops. But, I also figure if you dig deep enough into any facility you are going to find bad press. That really does not bother me as I am enough of an individual to make up my own mind about folks, products, and their customer service. Thus far I have been impressed with each but, I have taken a tour of Industrial Injection already. Their ability to take some stranger off the street and give them a tour just because of an email impressed me. ATS has agreed to do the same so, I would not knock them either. Both seem to be great shops and I just wish I had more money to play with Diesel performance parts more often.

LT.

blznnp

did you ever do a dpf delete and tuner? i just picked up a '12 6.7. low miles on it and a couple more years on the manufacturer power train warranty, but i wouldn't mind getting a little more power out of it. Its like going from a sports car to a bus from my f350 with the 6.4 and a spartan tuner to this.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
DPF & EGR delete are the best thing you can do to these trucks. I did mine when the truck had about 35k on it and I just clicked over 81k. I have not had a single issue with it and have had it into the dealer for a couple warranty items and they have not raised any issue with it.

Finding a programmer that is delete capable is going to be harder and more expensive than it used to be.

blznnp

Do you have a 6.7 cummins Anderson? If so, what brand. I am not wanting a all out race truck, just something to wake the truck up. Was thinking a edge set up but I am not sure I will be happy with 150hp max tune. I ran a 275 tune normally on my f350. Not sure how well these tranny and engines last with a tuner, I have a automatic.

Tonkaman

Do you have a 6.7 cummins Anderson? If so, what brand. I am not wanting a all out race truck, just something to wake the truck up. Was thinking a edge set up but I am not sure I will be happy with 150hp max tune. I ran a 275 tune normally on my f350. Not sure how well these tranny and engines last with a tuner, I have a automatic.

EFI Live is by far the best option. If you buy the V2 then the possibilities are endless and you can always sell them if you sell the truck

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I am running an H&S Mini Maxx and it is an '11 6.7L Cummins with the 6 speed auto. The EPA came down on the programmer companies a couple years ago and the programmers do not come delete capable out of the box. I know with the H&S you can buy a delete tune but you have to sign a waiver that it is for off road use only. I am not sure if by doing that if it will affect your vehicle registration with the state. You can occasionally find a used delete capable programmer for sale but people want top dollar for them.

As far as the tranny goes, it is a must to do the tranny tune that H&S offers. I pull a toy hauler that when fully loaded is upwards of 20k lbs and it has handled it very well. i did have one problem where the shift solonoid between 4th & 5th stuck sending it into limp mode. Dealer fixed it under warrenty without questioning my tuner & deletes

Last edited:

blznnp

My buddy had and 2011 with the injectors done,arp head studs and h/s tuner and he could run with my 6.4 with the Spartan on it.
yea, that spartan tune was awesome, I drove the 6.7 dodge and the 6.7 ford, the salesman told me to get on it so I could feel the torque. I floored it and never really felt the power kick in, just to use to my 6.4 with the spartan I guess. Oh well, this truck has 86K less miles on it than my f350 did. I am still impressed with how well your dually ran with the 210 tune.

blznnp

I am running an H&S Mini Maxx and it is an '11 6.7L Cummins with the 6 speed auto. The EPA came down on the programmer companies a couple years ago and the programmers do not come delete capable out of the box. I know with the H&S you can buy a delete tune but you have to sign a waiver that it is for off road use only. I am not sure if by doing that if it will affect your vehicle registration with the state. You can occasionally find a used delete capable programmer for sale but people want top dollar for them.

As far as the tranny goes, it is a must to do the tranny tune that H&S offers. I pull a toy hauler that when fully loaded is upwards of 20k lbs and it has handled it very well. i did have one problem where the shift solonoid between 4th & 5th stuck sending it into limp mode. Dealer fixed it under warrenty without questioning my tuner & deletes
Spartan has you sign a waiver also, that way they are just not liable for anything, doesn't change anything with your registration. You can't pass inspection if you have the dpf gone, unless you know someone or the place just doesn't pay attention very well.

LT.

Sorry y'all, I haven't been on here as much as I should have. Yes, I run a DPF free truck. I have my EGR turned off and I run a 5" turbo back straight through exhaust. My programmer is a H&S Mini Maxx that I bought and installed around the time I did the first oil change on the truck. Some time later I installed a S&B stage 2 cold air intake with the scoop. I believe the horsepower is a little low, maybe in the 400 to 500 mark but, the torque is up. Maybe in the 800 to 1000 mark. This truck now has 50,000 miles and all but, a couple thousand of those have been deleted.

Once I have the money, the truck will be going to Industrial Injection for a compound turbo set and a built tranny from Suncoast.

This truck does not have the same feel as my old '06 did. With the variable turbo the boost doesn't come on like a on/off switch like the 06 did. Instead, this truck builds boost slowly and keeps building keeping you in the seat without throwing you there.

I think the only RME'r that has gone for a ride in the truck is Chestonscout. I think his wife has even driven it.

LT.

Sorry y'all, I haven't been on here as much as I should have. Yes, I run a DPF free truck. I have my EGR turned off and I run a 5" turbo back straight through exhaust. My programmer is a H&S Mini Maxx that I bought and installed around the time I did the first oil change on the truck. Some time later I installed a S&B stage 2 cold air intake with the scoop. I believe the horsepower is a little low, maybe in the 400 to 500 mark but, the torque is up. Maybe in the 800 to 1000 mark. This truck now has 50,000 miles and all but, a couple thousand of those have been deleted.

Once I have the money, the truck will be going to Industrial Injection for a compound turbo set and a built tranny from Suncoast.

This truck does not have the same feel as my old '06 did. With the variable turbo the boost doesn't come on like a on/off switch like the 06 did. Instead, this truck builds boost slowly and keeps building keeping you in the seat without throwing you there.

I think the only RME'r that has gone for a ride in the truck is Chestonscout. I think his wife has even driven it.

LT.

I felt the same dismay going from my '06 to my '11... Doesn't throw you back in the seat the same... I've got deletes, 5" TBE, and just orders the mini maxx last week... I was hoping it'd get me close to where my '06 was at... Now that I read your post though maybe not.

LT.

I felt the same dismay going from my '06 to my '11... Doesn't throw you back in the seat the same... I've got deletes, 5" TBE, and just orders the mini maxx last week... I was hoping it'd get me close to where my '06 was at... Now that I read your post though maybe not.

It is just different the way the power comes on. The older turbo was on or off. The newer engine makes just as much and even more power but, it is much more smooth. My 6.7 will out work the older 5.9 but, the old 5.9 I had was a manual tranny and the manual was better for in town and getting a load moving. The auto behind the 6.7 is easier on the load and better on the highway.

I believe my 6.7 makes more torque the the 5.9 did.

LT.

LT.

Rosie just turned a little over 52,000 miles on the last trip I made to Idaho and back last weekend. Hauled my little trailer with Christine on it up to Idaho and just an empty trailer on the way back. Rosie did excellent and was able to average 11.6 mpg loaded on the way up. Return trip home with just an empty trailer she averaged 16.0 mpg. The Toyo Open Country AT 2 Extremes now have about 20,000 miles on them. I have never rotated them but, the truck has been aligned twice since they were installed. She doesn't get driven much anymore unless there is a trailer behind her or a load in her bed.

LT.