Project: Cheap! But still OK.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Spy pics. Carl is converting it into an Apache helicopter...
View attachment 136671
Give that guy some credit! He took a crappy little truck, and made it......his own crappy little truck.
I don't know why he did it, but I applaud the creativity.
That guy is from Price. The truck is still running around without all the helicopter parts. I am not sure where he got the tail piece but it came from some type of scaled model....not sure if it was an RC, but it is riveted like you would see in aircraft.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I did get some more parts though. 4 well-loved Sway-a-way coilovers in 16" travel flavor. Only slightly bent shafts. So I'll be looking for 2.5" ID springs for them...

The bends are at the very bottom, within the spring cup area. So my idea is to limit their travel so they never are able to fully compress, and they should be fine. They're super long though, so they might poke through the hood a comical amount. 🤷
IMG_20210415_141015817_HDR.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I worked on wheels! My last wheel update was March 24th. I don't have a deadline or anything, but a month is unacceptable. My apologies to all affected by my heartlessness.

I welded the wheel centers into the shells using my fancy jig. (which is a unit bearing, sitting on a random brake rotor, sitting on a 5 gallon bucket)

I cut a bunch of these little fellas:

...and welded them in the back, both to the flat centers and the wheel shell.

Bent the anti-coning tabs and welded them solid. A little grinding on any high spots in the welds (already done, but no pics) and it's ready for some cleanup and paint! I have two wheels done so far. That's enough to get started, since I can roll an axle around with two finished wheels. :D

It took me about an hour per wheel to get that all done....so I'll add 5 more hours of labor to post #1.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
This thing is too long. Takes up way too much space in the shop. Also, the bottom of the bed behind the tires hangs down too far.

I guess this means I'm keeping the bed.

Oh, I also fixed the cylinder #4 misfire by plugging the spark plug wire onto the plug. Runs smoother now. :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Good lord that thing has a lot of mud on the frame.
You have no idea. When I first got it I took it to a car wash and washed pounds of mud out from under it. When I cut the bed bottoms, I swept up about 5 FULL dust pans of dirt. When I cut the bed, another 4 dust pans full. Every time I touch it, lots and lots falls off. I probably could have filled a 5 gallon bucket with the dirt if I'd kept it all. Or more.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You have no idea. When I first got it I took it to a car wash and washed pounds of mud out from under it. When I cut the bed bottoms, I swept up about 5 FULL dust pans of dirt. When I cut the bed, another 4 dust pans full. Every time I touch it, lots and lots falls off. I probably could have filled a 5 gallon bucket with the dirt if I'd kept it all. Or more.
Gross. Get those 37's on there. That will make it a little easier to hose off the under side. That's probably 19 more dirt pounds of work to get there.