GMC / Chevy Project Dual Sport ; 1998 GMC Sierra

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I recently picked up a 1998 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with some miles on it. It's nothing special, just a good old GM pickup with a few dents. I choose this truck for the Vortec 350 engine, the 3rd door and the late model features a '98 would offer, like a decent interior, working A/C, cruise control, etc. It was also priced right, which means more room in the budget to make the modifications I want! The Vortec 350 makes 330 ft/lbs of torque and is plenty peppy for an engine that's 14 years old, while getting respectable mileage. The 3rd door will offer access to the back for loading up our dog and camping gear. This build is probably going to be slightly different than the norm, which is why I like the idea... :D

My intent with this truck is to have a multipurpose (dual sport!) truck, something that can haul dirt bikes one weekend, load up and go explore the mountains and canyons of Colorado and Utah the next weekend, then tow the occasional trailer when needed. The plan is to modify it with a solid axle swap, 35's (or 37's?) and some goodies to make camping out of the truck comfortable. I want it to be capable of tackling the more scenic trails in Utah, Colorado and beyond and get thru them without a hitch.

Here's how the build is going to break down;

• Offroad Design Solid Axle Conversion, ORD rear shackle flip. (Probably use 2" Tuff Country EZ ride springs, for a total of 5" lift in front, 4" in rear with the shackle flip, plus a 1" ORD Zero-Rate add-a-leaf to level it out. Hopefully this keep the height reasonable.)

• Ford Dana 60 front and a GM 14 Bolt rear, Detroit in the rear axle, ARB in the front. 4.88 gears.

• Hummer H2 17" wheels and and 37" tires.

I want this build to be something that anyone can duplicate, these trucks are all over the place and prices are getting low. I think the platform is solid and with a solid axle conversion, you can have a capable, reliable 4x4.

After getting the truck home, the first thing I did was remove the rear bench seat and clean up the inside & outside. Here's how it looks, pretty much stock. Right after I took the pics, I took the sawzall to the big exhaust tips... they were loud and annoying!

P2120674-L.jpg

P2120676-L.jpg

P2120681-L.jpg

P2120685-L.jpg

sixstringsteve

nice rig Greg! That was definitely worth missing the swell trip for. I think that ORD truck gave us all a few bad ideas floating around in our heads... :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
awesome. I knew that ORD truck you saw last year would inspire you.

nice rig Greg! That was definitely worth missing the swell trip for. I think that ORD truck gave us all a few bad ideas floating around in our heads... :)

Yeah, I dig that truck! I've needed a pickup, have really missed having a truck bed in the last couple years, that truck definitely got the wheels turning. I just hope I can make this the truck I want!

For those that don't know what we're talking about, last August I ran into Stephen Watson of Offroad Design, in his Ultimate Adventure GMC on Schofield Pass. His rig is quite a bit more capable than what I'm shooting for, but you get the idea.

P8200255-Large-L.jpg

Next up was a need to have something to mount the RTT onto. I really like how Kurt Williams Toyota Tacoma had the RTT mounted over the bed and I blatantly copied his setup. Thanks for the inspiration Kurt, hope you don't mind me copying you! Being able to access the bed on the sides, plus having the RTT mounted where it's mostly out of the wind while driving makes it quite handy. I bought some 1.25" x .120 HREW and went to work.

P2130013-L.jpg

P2130015-L.jpg

P2130016-L.jpg

P2130017-L.jpg

P2130018-L.jpg

P2130020-L.jpg

P2140688-L.jpg

P2140690-L.jpg

P2140693-L.jpg

I still need to finish some minor welding, then paint the whole thing. There will be rubber between the bed rails and the tent mount, to minimize wear on the sheetmetal.

More to come... eventually. ;)

zukijames

Sweet! And it fits your needs.. Your close to amazing trails . And your buggy will be light.

For someone living in salt lake with a big heavy buggy a rig like this would not get much use.
But in your case I think it will be perfect! Lookin forward to see this on some trails and pullin your buggy to some other trails..

The other nice thing is.... I wheel Alone alot more than I should.. If I tip over or break it sucks..

With my 2500 cummins there is no taking it up the trail to recover the buggy bur this rig.. Depending on the spot or the trail could be used to assist in recovery! Not in upper heldorado or anything but on many of the other trails that are easy expect or optional hard obsticals

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
In on the first page! Too bad your interior isn't red.:p

*edit* 2nd page. Damn.:(

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
So, what are your plans for the SAS? Based on your post looking for a '78-'79 HP D60, I'm guessing leaf springs?

Doesn't someone make an SAS kit designed around the spring width of the '88+ HP D60 spring width? Might be easier to find a suitable axle that way?

Bart

I had similar thoughts when I bought my 88 Chev 2500, but ended up selling it because it was too far from making it like I wanted. Your truck has 2 of the features mine was lacking. The updated interior and the more powerful Vortec motor makes a big difference. Bigger axles were my other worry and you'll fix that with your SAS. I fixed my problem by selling my 88 Chev and getting the 99 Dodge V10. Yes, mpg sucks, but it's basically the same as I was getting with the SBC and it pulls tons better and is more comfortable. Nice purchase and look forward to the build.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Doesn't someone make an SAS kit designed around the spring width of the '88+ HP D60 spring width? Might be easier to find a suitable axle that way?

My brother used a 91 (85.5-97 have same pad width) Kingpin 60 for his K1500 and it turned out very nice. It was also one of the simplest solid axle swaps I've seen. Based off what I saw I'd go with whatever Ford 60 you can find for a deal "IF" you plan on using leafs. That said it was going to take a lot of work to make it work with anything less than a ~4" lift.