Project Hundy Build Thread - 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Wow looks like good times. I added the Super-Pro bushings to my 100 series steering rack and that was a pain (was somehow lucky enough to get the old ones out without removing the rack) replacing the whole thing looked like it would definitely take some time. On that note Toyota was smart placing it up and out of the way like they did. Some other rigs use the rack as a skid plate it seems..

Anyway sure is looking good :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Wow looks like good times. I added the Super-Pro bushings to my 100 series steering rack and that was a pain (was somehow lucky enough to get the old ones out without removing the rack) replacing the whole thing looked like it would definitely take some time. On that note Toyota was smart placing it up and out of the way like they did. Some other rigs use the rack as a skid plate it seems..

Anyway sure is looking good :cool:

I'm completely impressed by the placement of the rack... other than needing to service it :D

Honestly if you have a game plan, the new rack in hand and your bolt's and fittings don't give you fits, I bet it could be done in 2.5-3 hours. Mine was more like 5 hours but that included a new pressure and return hose, a lower ball joint boot R&R and a motor mount replacement, more on that in a minute. The steering is definitely tighter now, a combination of the Super-Pro bushings and the new rack. And your absolutely right, even the older Tacoma and 4Runner had the rack in a somewhat precarious place :eek:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Final prep... I think.

I'm just handful of days away from departing to Baja and I'll be out a few of those for SEMA, so it was now or never on prep for the 100. While lifting the motor for the steering rack replacement (the only way I can imagine doing a rack R&R fwiw) I noted a loose motor mount. It was hard to tell while mounted just how bad but after removal it was full on goner. Toyota had one headed my way and we did a quick swap on that yesterday.

motor_mount_sm.jpg

Think this is bad?

The last big item was tunage i.e. radio. My stock Toyota head unit had followed many others and swallowed a few CD's, refusing to play them as well. This left the tape deck or AM/FM, not super ideal for cross-country traveling. My good pal and Canguro Racing team mate Ryan started down the path of his home audio (Ratio AV Inc.) career as a car AV installer and is known in the LC circles as an 12V guru. He had a head unit in mind and was able to source the needed goodies from his supplier and offered to help me with the install. We'll have access to tunes and movies as we spend 75-80 hours in the 100 the next few weeks and perhaps watch a movie or two in the pits as well :cool:

stereo_sm.jpg

New tunage!

Time to roll.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Nice A/V upgrade! I was looking at something similar, would be so nice to watch a movie when you're stuck in the vehicle for a bit.

I'd love to hear your impression of what the headers bring out of the 4.7, it runs good with stock exhaust but making it breathe a little better always helps.

Have fun in Baja, be careful and take luck!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Nice A/V upgrade! I was looking at something similar, would be so nice to watch a movie when you're stuck in the vehicle for a bit.

I'd love to hear your impression of what the headers bring out of the 4.7, it runs good with stock exhaust but making it breathe a little better always helps.

Have fun in Baja, be careful and take luck!

We'll have to see when we get out on the open road and long miles but so far it feels a little peppier and no more start up ticking. I'll report back post B1K

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The 100 ran like a champ for Baja... sorta. We had it fully laden with a weeks worth of gear for 5 plus spares, race gear and 46 gallons of fuel when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Just as we pulled out of my house the A-trac activated oddly for a quick second and then the VSC and ABS lights came on. No codes on the normal scan gauge but I knew it was likely a wheel speed sensor failure. We dealt with the lights and pushed on to Mexico. There were were able to run the Toyota Techstream computer (Canguro Team mate Will C brought one :cool:) and get the codes (C0205 & C1223) which indicated a wheel sensor failure at the LH Front. We pulled the ABS fuse to prevent any funky brake engagement from the ABS/VSC and rallied on. Really a non-issue as it ran/drove just fine... just had a few lights.

I had the new sensor sitting on my desk the day I got home but I needed to find time to install it. I finally had a chance and it turned out to be quite the chore as the sensor was pretty much seized in the knuckle assembly. I had to remove the wheel, caliper and hub to get to a point where I could tap the offending sensor out. Repacked bearings and swapped the hub seal and wheel seal while I was in there. Ready for another 185k!

10542871_753850314664441_6575671524910405199_n.jpg
Chase 2, Chase 3, Race, Chase 5 in the parking garage pre-Baja 1000

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Sometimes it's the little things that really make a vehicle "click" with your planned uses. I can't take credit for this idea in fact I first noticed it on a customers LX470 (Scott Howe) with a similar drawer/fridge setup. The idea is simple, a cheap paper towel roll holder for the back of your vehicle. And why not mount it between the back hatch and the fridge where there is normally dead space? A few dollars on Amazon and I was in business, 10 minute install and voila. I often use the tailgate of the 100 for cooking and food prep so a roll of towels nearby is a welcome addition and it frees up some room in my drawer where I had usually kept them.

towel.jpg

Need a towel?

Now, onto more exciting things. I never did get back around to posting more pics our Baja 1000 adventure so I'm here to remedy that now. There will be a full report in a few of the Toyota mags and I know at least one of our team members was planning a forum based trip report too. In the meantime I'll offer some pics to whet your appetite. :D

baja_1.JPG

Contingency in Ensenda is an absolute party

baja_2.JPG

Bumped into this Baja legend - Ivan "Ironman" Stewart

baja_3.JPG

Locked and loaded at the starting line. Marc Van Tassell in the drivers seat and myself in the passenger/navigator seat. Game on!

baja_4.JPG

And we're off... 30 seconds into the race. 36 hours later we'd be crossing the finish line.

baja_5.jpg

Somewhere along the race course.

baja_6.jpg

Celebrating at the finish line. 2nd in class.

baja_7.JPG

And the long drive home.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Spent some time in the desert and mountains to celebrate the New Year. Normally this mountain range (Abajo Mountains in SE Utah) would be far too buried to be passable but we've have a considerably light snow year until the last few weeks. We ended up doing just about 80 miles pavement to pavement including some sketchy driving up and over Elephant Hill in the snow that required winching and heavy Maxtrax use. I'll let the pics fill in the details.

IMG_2480_sm.JPG

IMG_2472_sm.jpg

IMG_2500_sm.JPG

IMG_2508_sm.JPG

IMG_2526_sm.JPG

IMG_2531_sm.JPG

IMG_2594_sm.JPG

And I'm more convinced than ever that a 200 Series will be in my future :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Does she know? Does she know about the new gal?

No, I'm not sneaking around on my lovely wife... I'm worried that the 100 Series knows I've brought home a rig that will eventually replace her. I've been on the hunt for a 200 Series for the last 6 months or so. Nothing super serious but a few classifieds alerts and such. Things changed early last month when I found a great 200 here locally and pulled the trigger.

new_200.jpg

This is the day I purchased it. Yes those are some hideous 22's and yes they will be gone very soon!

I'll detail the story in my upcoming 200 build thread but for the time being let's get back to the 100. I really think she is forcing us to spend time together.

I've been driving it less and less the last few months, it's been great but there have been a few things on my mind to clean up as the weather has warmed up and dried out. I still need to spend some time cleaning the under-carriage and re-applying some black paint. Nothing pressing but it's time.

More pressing things popped up earlier this week. I was getting what I would call a "metallic clicking noise" out of the driver side front wheel well. Was it a CV? It was more "tingy" than I would expect and my CV's were service not that long ago. Was it a bad wheel bearing? Odd noise but I suppose it could happen though again it was serviced before we drove to Mexico last November. Brakes? Pad thickness was great but perhaps a squealer was hitting something?

Problem number two seemed even more pressing. I popped the hood last night to use the air compressor and noticed the coolant recovery bottle was all but empty. There was a 1/4" or so in the bottom and the radiator appeared full when I popped the cap so I don't think there was any real issue BUT where was the coolant going? There were no signs of leaking or dripping. Head gasket? I sure hoped not. I started poking around and found signs of a link on an oil cooler line on the front of the motor behind the idler pulley. I don't know how long it has been leaking but I'm assuming that is where the coolant leak was coming from.

I had a couple minutes and the help of my pal Olly to diagnose and we pulled it in the shop today. Olly pulled the front driver wheel and we spun the opposite side at every angle hoping to duplicate the noise. Nothing, in fact the only thing we could now here was the "squeek" of the CV boot at full droop. We looked all over in the caliper, no signs of interference, brake pads and hardware were all correct. We figured we would start pulling the wheel hub down, inspect bearings and go from there. He pulled the dust cap and drive flange and again spun the opposite side, this time only spinning the drivers side CV still boot noise and nothing else. We then spun the rotor and sure enough a bit of noise could be heard when the noisy CV boot wasn't drowning it out. Time to pull it down and inspect bearings. He un-bolted the caliper and what falls out? A 1/2" odd shaped rock that was up against the back of the rotor, between the two caliper pistons. How it go there I will never know, one in a million bounce but it has a San Rafael Swell color too it so I'm sure I picked it up recently. We re-assembled, re-torqued and guess what? No clicking.

We then tackled the hose. A bit of a chore to get to but all fixed. Topped off the coolant and she is running tip-top without squeaks, rattles or bangs :cool:

hose_rock.jpg

The offending parts. You can see the small pinhole leak next to the hose clamp and of course the dreaded rock.

Tonkaman

I'm not too savvy on these cruisers so pardon the stupid questions. What are the differences between the 100 and 200 series? What was the 100 lacking that made you decide to change?

I guess this leads to the obvious question of when does the Death Star go up for sale? Are you selling it as is or stripping it back down?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
100 - 235hp, 200 - 383 hp
Coils overs > torsions

The 100 wasnt really lacking anything, just getting ready for its next adventure and I needed something to drive while its on the water.

sixstringsteve

That's a beauty. The 22's actually make the rig look smaller. I say you keep them. Low profile mud terrains are all the rage these days. ;)

In my opinion, the toyotas look so much better than the lexus lx570s.

Last edited: