Project M.U.T.T. Build up

crawler12

Here we go again except this time it's for me. My last project was "lost samurai build" for a friend. My goal is to build something that will be fun in several different types of off roading including rocks, sand, street use, and yes even some mud. This project is Samurai based ( I just lost Cody's interest :ugh:) only because I got it basicly for free and it's titled. So here's an outline of what I want to acomplish, a multi use vehicle built on an extreme buget ( Thanks to Toomey, and Dan (notajeep) for their help with some of the parts I've needed so far).

Starting with a Samurai I'm back halfing, dove tailing and streching the body 10 inches and the wheel base 24 inches.

I'm only planning on using the front half of the frame, complete cowl, and floor of the donor sammy and maybe some other misc. parts ( maybe i can win back cody :rofl:)

The drivetrain will include a Vortec 4.3 V6 CPI, TH350 or 700R4 Trans, 205 t-case,and Toyota Axles.

The suspension triangulated three link front and rear with TJ coil springs ( I still need these I think stock springs would work for what I'm doing if anyone has any lying around i'd give them a good home).

I'm looking at using 39.5 Iroks and Steel wheels with DIY beadlocks.

This will be the most extensive build I've taken on so far and I'm sure I'll make some mistakes but hopefully with your help it will be a successfull build. If anyone would like to help out or just hang out I welcome it.

crawler12

Here's some pictures of what I have so far. The old body is off and the new cowl is sitting on the frame now and the frame is cut. If you're wondering why i'm taking the time to back half a Samurai, I figure this is the first attempt I've made at back halfing anything :ugh: and if I screw it up it's just a Samurai that I got without spending any money, this will be a learning experience. And if it works should be a fun toy.:eek:
092.jpg

094.jpg

012.jpg

Last edited:

crawler12

Now the fun begins, I capped the frame ends with 3/16" plate wrapped and tappered around the frame. Using 1.5" .120 wall tubing I welded in the base tubing for the rear frame section and used the same tubing to gusset it to the frame for additional strength.
009.jpg

010.jpg

012-1.jpg

leorn

reset
I'd probably turn into a sammy guy if I didn't alreay own a 4runner...oh wait that makes me half way there!

Here is some inspiration for you. Local guy on 39 iroks. 24" belly. Except apparently he has too much sheet metal for your liking.
2138603800043391076S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
gonna be sweet... i'll be peekin in on this build fo sho...

that pictured blue hardtop buggyfied zuk is saaaaaweet!

-Jason

crawler12

So here's an update on what I've gotten done so far, the hardest part is getting a good base to work from. After fabricating and welding up the rear portion of the frame I am fabing up the side rails that tie into the rear frame. I ended up cutting out the entire rocker section of the body to gain side clearence a suzuki rockers are pretty cheesy. Now that that is cut out and I killed all the wasps living in them I bent up the side rails I made some fish plates for the front attachment point. Here's some pics.

023.jpg

004-3.jpg

009-3.jpg